follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 08-18-2020, 10:03 PM   #1
echomx

Drives: '13 subaru brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Should I oil Airaid intake previous owner installed?

I bought my car used from a dealer. It has an airaid intake installed that I have yet to clean. I know there is an oiled and non-oiled version. Idk how to tell which one I have. Will it negatively affect it if I oil non-oiled filter or vice versa?
echomx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to echomx For This Useful Post:
humfrz (08-18-2020)
Old 08-18-2020, 11:53 PM   #2
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by echomx View Post
I bought my car used from a dealer. It has an airaid intake installed that I have yet to clean. I know there is an oiled and non-oiled version. Idk how to tell which one I have. Will it negatively affect it if I oil non-oiled filter or vice versa?
Hi ya echomx and welcome to our forum -

To figure out which one you have, I'd suggest you go on their web site and see if you can figure it out.

(see attached) It looks like if the filter is red, black or blue, it's a dry filter.

Is it a panel or cone type filter?

Most (non-oiled) dry, air filters look like a paper or cloth material filter. Most oiled filters look more like a close mesh screening.

DO NOT oil a dry filter (it will clog it up and restrict air flow).

An oiled type filter when NOT oiled will not effectively filter out harmful stuff.
Attached Images

Last edited by humfrz; 08-19-2020 at 12:08 AM.
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 06:30 PM   #3
echomx

Thanks for the welcome.

Appreciate the response. I will have to give the site another look. At first glance I couldn't really tell which one I had.

I was hoping to just clean it temporarily and not oil it, but I guess if there's a risk its oiled and I harm it by not oiling it I will make sure. It's a cone filter, btw, not a drop in.
Old 08-19-2020, 08:02 PM   #4
echomx

After looking again, I really can't tell which filter it is. It's definitely not red (which is the only oiled one) but it's also extremely dirty. I'm going to be replacing this intake system anyway. Awaiting shipment which could be a few weeks.

That being said, if I take a risk and clean it, and don't oil it, and it is the oiled version, how bad would that be for a few weeks of use? Worse than driving with an extremely dirty filter?
The Following User Says Thank You to echomx For This Useful Post:
humfrz (08-19-2020)
Old 08-19-2020, 09:42 PM   #5
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by echomx View Post
After looking again, I really can't tell which filter it is. It's definitely not red (which is the only oiled one) but it's also extremely dirty. I'm going to be replacing this intake system anyway. Awaiting shipment which could be a few weeks.

That being said, if I take a risk and clean it, and don't oil it, and it is the oiled version, how bad would that be for a few weeks of use? Worse than driving with an extremely dirty filter?
I suggest you take the filter out and try to find a part number, then look that up on their web site. Usually, if the filter feels oily it's an oiled filter. If it just feels dirty, but dry, it's usually a dry filter.

I'd suggest you take the old filter into an automotive store and ask them for a new one like the one you have. If they offer you a choice, pick the dry one.

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 10:45 PM   #6
echomx

True, I'll look for a part number this weekend, if I can't find anything Ill just hold out til replacement. Thanks for your help.