follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 05-17-2016, 09:48 PM   #29
Pointmutation

Drives: 2016 ZC6
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Added +5 more HP with an Umaru sticker. Haha. 干物妹!うまるちゃん is a hilarious anime. The other half totally loves it so she decided on the placement of the decal. On her side of the car. Lol.

Pointmutation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 12:31 AM   #30
Pointmutation

So I wanted to add a switch to my OBD2 port and pretty much just did what @LaertesSon did in this DIY thread but in a different location.

Here's the cubby underneath the manual A/C control dials with the USB port/aux in module removed. I use neither USB nor AUX in this car so I won't miss it. Here I plan to install a pilot switch to control an OBD 2 device.

Currently I already have been using a cheapo OBD2 cable extension with a power on/off button integrated into the cable. It works but the design of the switch doesn't leave much places to mount it with a clean look. For now I hide the switch/cable out of sight because it's an eyesore.

Here is the old switch taken apart. Simple on/off switch inline with the red wire. I cut the red wires and spliced it to the new switch. In the back, the switch I already installed into the hole.

Wires spliced to the pilot switch.

OBD2 extension cable all connected up and ready to install into the car and see if I like the switch in this location or not. That hole in the top looks pretty rough, but since nobody is going to see that when it's installed, I'm not cleaning it up. That hole is to run an OBD2 port out of the cubby.

Here it is installed and switched on, activating my ODB2 BT dongle.

Here's how it looks installed in the sunlight. The black metal against the grey plastic stands out in the pic but not so much In real life. Don't mind the radio dash surround that doesn't fit the aftermarket radio. I'll be switching it out for an older model year dash surround to better fit the radio. Just debating between carbon fiber or fabric.

How it looks in normal lighting conditions. Looks good. I like the location so far too. Easy to access, not too in your face but not too subtle either, and cool nonetheless.

Next phase, I'm gonna push back the hole cover and make it more recessed while maintaining the switch's current position. It'll end up looking almost the same from regular seated distances, just gonna be a bit cleaner up close.

Up next, wheels and tires coming soon...
The Following User Says Thank You to Pointmutation For This Useful Post:
LaertesSon (05-19-2016)
Old 05-26-2016, 06:53 PM   #31
Pointmutation

Tire rack haul! I knew the BRZ could carry an extra set of 4 wheels but didn't really believe it until I did it myself. Lol.

Swapping out my stock wheels for some Sparco Assetto Gara (designed by OZ) in white. Size is 17x7.5 +48. Tires are Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Specs in 225/45/17.

Just a little bit of a wider stance over stock.

All done and all installed!

Sitting on the side of the mountain, outdoor shot.

Still breaking in the tires so haven't pushed them hard yet. My early assessment... stickier, noisy, and understeer. Stickier = good, noisy = I'll probably get used to it, and understeer = wtfbbq, I need to adjust my drive style a little now that the tail doesn't rotate so readily. Lol.

Last edited by Pointmutation; 05-29-2016 at 03:06 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pointmutation For This Useful Post:
BWilky (05-27-2016)
Old 05-29-2016, 03:21 PM   #32
Pointmutation

Some interior stuff to play with. A few Second Stage interior dress up pieces and a Cusco spin turn knob, aka drift button. The blue carbon is darker than on my steering wheel, we'll see how I like it.
Old 06-03-2016, 05:15 PM   #33
Pointmutation

Second Stage interior panels + Cusco spin turn knob

Installed some of the セカンドステージ インテリアパネル dress up pieces I got recently (Second Stage interior panels). And a Cusco スピンターンノブ (aka drift button). Tried sourcing the panels myself directly, like I did some of my other Japanese pieces, but hit a snag with the whole international shipping part, so went and got them through 86worx. Thanks @MAX@86worx for keeping me updated on my purchase.

Initial test fitting of the panels. The camera flash is exaggerating the color difference between my steering wheel and the new panel pieces. I'm gonna have to file away a little bit of of the manual a/c control face (the far edges of horizontal bar underneath the controls) since the side panels were made only for the auto climate control unit.

These pieces are faux carbon fiber. Basically just a carbon fiber printed pattern on the panels that attach via what looks like 3m double sided tape. Cheaper than the more expensive black Grazio direct replacements that look like printed carbon fiber too. I couldn't find any real carbon blue carbon direct replacement panels like my steering wheel/trim so just went with these faux carbon pieces. Pattern closer up and the Cusco spin turn knob. Love that metal blue color!

In the shade...

The color tone depends on how the light hits it. The faux carbon fiber panels don't sparkle like the real carbon on the steering wheel and steering wheel trim. But the color tone is close enough that it doesn't bother me like I thought it would. (The real carbon blue carbon steering wheel and steering wheel trim is by Revier, not Second Stage). And here's the color differences in the sun...

Overall good purchase. Good quality, nice dress up bits. And cheaper than the Grazio direct replacements. Although, I would've preferred real blue carbon direct replacements (regardless of price, but couldn't find them) but this satisfies my desire at this point.

Up next... Exhaust...
Old 06-24-2016, 03:18 PM   #34
Pointmutation

Rally Armor mudflaps on WRB

Some mudflaps shots before the exhaust... Picked up some Rally Armor mudflaps in red. Why red on a WRB? Because the other half likes the red color on the blue. Lol.

Tip, connect the inside piece of the bracket to the rear flap prior to installation and you won't have to remove the rear tires to easily install the mudflaps.

Why use mudflaps at all? I know some people just hate mudflaps. Well, I hate cleaning all the crap flying up the side of my car. And I'm constantly driving through the the touge when it's wet, dirty, and in some spots muddy. Also I work on the wet side of the island, lots of rain and puddles.

This would have been much worse without the flaps. This was one trip through our local the mountain pass while it was a little damp.

Much much less to clean off the car. My car ain't no hard parked garage queen! Lol. Overall impressions, very functional purchase. Kinda iffy on the red but it's growing on me. It ties in with the red in the tail lights just fine.
Old 07-21-2016, 11:12 PM   #35
Pointmutation

Dual cannon fart cans! HKS Hi-Power Spec-L cat-back exhaust w/ dual titanium tips...

Also added the HKS dual resonated front pipe...

My review is here: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108645

Overall TL;DR impressions --
HKS Hi-Power Spec-L cat back exhaust + HKS Dual Resonated Front Pipe = nice nice sound + power up top (butt dyno). Wondering what it'll sound like with a new header now...
Old 08-15-2016, 02:48 PM   #36
Pointmutation

It's been 6 months of using my 3D weather mats so here are some wear and tear shots...

My heel placement for the gas pedal is causing the corner of the extra rubber layer to peel up. And the rubber contours are being flattened by both my heels with more flattening from the heel of my clutch foot. Anyway, to remedy this I've added a metal heel plate with pink STi logo on it.

Looks cool and feels alright. If the black bumps catch on my heels I'll remove the bumps in question. FYI, the STi logo adds about +5hp. Haha.
Old 09-16-2016, 10:45 AM   #37
Pointmutation

Well, here's a random pic of my car...

So what's new? Got an ATEQ TPMS Quickset device.

So I finally got around to resetting the TPMS in the car for my Star Specs.

The longest part about using the ATEQ TPMS Quickset tool was getting my old Windows laptop working with the software. Anyway, once the software was installed and set up, the process is pretty fast and straightforward and the app guides you through every step. Just be sure to plug in the TPMS sensor numbers correctly.

No more TMPS warning light on longer drives now. It's a bit pricey, but oh well. If I always want a warning light on in my car, I'll just drive my VW. Haha. (VW owners will understand, lol)

Up next... Minor interior stuff.
Old 10-12-2016, 10:28 PM   #38
Pointmutation

Picked up a couple things while on Japan again...

Found a little WRB BRZ Tomica like my car. Even the doors open and the interior is detailed enough to look like a BRZ. Also, I love these Xacar 86 & BRZ magazines. JDM modding culture for cars is just different than USDM modding.

Here a link to my full review of the TRD Door stabilizers... http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=77

Installed my TRD Door stabilizers and my car does drive better on the sharp, tight, fast turns on our touge now. It's definitely worth it for me and cheap enough where even if it did nothing, serves as extra shiny bling that says TRD on the BRZ. Haha.
Old 12-07-2016, 09:44 PM   #39
Pointmutation

Well, an OFT came in the mail.

And then the BRZ got flashed. This was a lot faster and easier than I thought it would be. Torque dip not really noticeable anymore. Power delivery much more linear. Much smoother driving around town but not sure how I feel about the change in power feel on the twisties yet.

Cold starts with the HKS exhaust is pretty brutal on my neighbors so using RomRaider I edited out a lot of the cold start noise. This was easier than I thought also.

Link to my post on what I changed in the OTS F40C rom for my car... http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2809542&postcount=317

Cold starts are much better now. I'll play with the ignition timing post start again. Next time I'll zero it out and see how that sounds.

Overall, very satisfied with my purchase...

Up next... Sounds or headers... all depends on which arrives first.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:45 AM   #40
Pointmutation

new pilot switch location

So I decided to change the pilot switch location away from where I had it (where the USB/AUX port was) as I don't like my passenger can start playing with it. Lol.

Disassembly of lower dash...

Drilled a hole to the right of the trunk release button for installation of the switch.

Same switch/wiring from previous location, just relocated... OBD BT device now hidden and secured inside of lower dash.

Everything put back together... Switch cover closed.

Switch cover open.

Overall, I like this new position better. A little more discreet and no passenger will be able to now play with the switch. Lol I may switch it out to a translucent blue cover later on though since I have a blue theme inside my car.
Old 03-04-2017, 02:23 PM   #41
Pointmutation

P&L EL header, catted and coated

Got a P&L catted header, titanium coated inside and out. Also bought their overpipe. This, mated to an HKS FP + Ti Hi-power Spec-L CBE.

Impressions...
These are very solid pieces. Ain't no flimsy bits here. Approximately the same weight as the stock header w/ shielding. No weight savings. Lol.

Extra bung already present for a wideband. Header clearance with everything with the loop in the front is fine.

OP clearance was another thing though, had a clearance w/ frame problem, as I've read others have with some larger overpipes in general. Much too close to the frame, would've rubbed in turns, especially the way I drive in the twisties. Also, aside from from the frame issue, it didn't reach my HKS FP.

I could've cut up the stock OP, but I'm keeping my stock bits in case I ever wanna go back to stock for some reason (i.e.: if the ol' ball and chain complains too much of a too loud exhaust. Lol). Shipping is a bitch down here so I wasn't gonna deal with shipping back and forth another OP. Plus the time issue, I don't have a lot of it anymore like I did when I was a kid. So I just told the exhaust shop I go to to make it fit. OP was cut and extended in one section, mating to the HKS FP fine now and no clearance issues anymore.

Regarding the sound, tune, and drivability...
Stage 1 tune with the P&L header/OP plus HKS FP/CBE droned pretty bad at 2.5-3.5k rpms. Similar to when I just had the HKS CBE (before the addition of the FP which quieted it down pre-tune). Stage 1 tune with just the FP/CBE also droned bad but this was worse. Freeway speed at 60mph droned too much for me. At 70, not bad but my side of the island doesn't go over 60mph unless you wanna get tagged. Basically, stage 1 OFT tune drones too much for my driving with this combo for me.

Stage 2 EL tune, much better regarding the drone. Uphill drone at the drone rpms is still louder/irritating than just the HKS CBE/FP without tune but semi-tolerable, for now. Drone on flat ground is fine/tolerable. Not much drone at 60mph. No sound analysis or db readings regarding in-cabin drone this time as I just don't have the time for that stuff nowadays. Grownup life lately is taking priority. Sound through a tunnel... puuuure awesome! Love to roll down my windows, downshift, and rev it out in a tunnel nowadays. Just sounds amazing.

On the twisties I notice I'm faster. Accel is faster as higher speeds are attained quicker though various parts of the course. I have not tried the headers with the stock tune.

When driving like a granny, the car is now actually a little quieter (in-cabin, windows up) around town than with just the FP/CBE was. Also, sloooow low rpm driving like gently parking is quiet enough (windows down) I don't even worry about waking the neighbors. Driving around town the way I like to drive, you definitely know there's an exhaust on the car (windows down). I started rolling down my windows more just to hear the outside sound of the exhaust better. Didn't realize how much noise, good noise, there was to this combo until doing so.

Cold starts...
Did the cold start mods with Ignition Timing Post Start at 0. Quieter than -4, but louder than the anemic sounding 0 with just the FP/CBE. Still sounds like I have some exhaust, just not pissing off the neighbors now.

TL;DR
Pros:
Nice quality feel to the headers,
Ceramic coated inside and out,
Catted, can swap the catted part to uncatted if wanted.
Quicker accel,
The sound when driving through tunnels is pure awesome.

Cons:
Heavy, no weight savings,
Drones bad depending on tune setup and sensitivity to drone,
OP way too close to my frame, possible rubbing issues, needed modification
Old 03-05-2017, 03:12 PM   #42
Pointmutation

Some more changes these past few weeks...

Big box of stuff...

OEM audio plus Reference 450Q system. Carbon speakers...

Sub... Finally got sounds for this car.

And I didn't loose much trunk space...

Trim the rubber Subaru mat and it slides under

Overall impression, awesome. Finally the weak point of the car, the sounds, has been fixed. No longer do I get into my other car and think damn, the BRZ sounds suck. I find myself blasting my music more in the BRZ nowadays. Haha.

---
Other stuff...
---

Changed out my red pilot switch cover for blue. Better matches my color theme.

---

And then yesterday, I swapped out my dash face with Indicator graphics panel ver I. It's pretty awesome. Subtle, but not.

Link of my review of it here http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116237

Overall impression, love it.