follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 07-06-2023, 08:25 AM   #29
fredzy
Mebmer

Drives: Sienna, GR86, FL5
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
We’re all winging it, more of a don’t ask don’t tell arrangement. I’ll use my AAA to tow me home from an event site but I won’t be filing a claim and risk screwing it up for everybody.
Yeah that's what I figured. It's not like these insurance companies have spies following you around.

fredzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 08:37 AM   #30
Ohio Enthusiast

Drives: 2018 BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredzy View Post
It's not like these insurance companies have spies following you around.
I've read reports on other car forums of insurance agents attending HPDE events and photographing license plates or looking for track photos and videos on social media with license plates visible. Some folks suggest taking off the license plates when on the track...
Ohio Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 08:59 AM   #31
RT-BRZ
FNG

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Enthusiast View Post
I've read reports on other car forums of insurance agents attending HPDE events and photographing license plates or looking for track photos and videos on social media with license plates visible. Some folks suggest taking off the license plates when on the track...
I'll have to ask around at work if my company does this sort of thing. Since we no longer have exclusive agents, there isn't a direct connection between the carrier and the agent so I wouldn't believe that we do that sort of thing. Maybe smaller insurance carriers with direct agents might do this sort of thing.

The SCCA region I'm in has run into a scenario with Mid-Ohio where they don't/won't allow anyone that isn't directly connected to the region into the site for events. Basically, you're not registered with us for our events, you don't get in. I don't know how other regions/events handle that however.
RT-BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RT-BRZ For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (07-06-2023)
Old 07-06-2023, 09:24 AM   #32
fredzy
Mebmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Enthusiast View Post
See, my insurance company would do this kind of thing I think. Just talking to my agent about it probably put a flag on my account now
Old 07-06-2023, 10:52 AM   #33
Opie

Drives: '13 BRZ TLM Spec
Thanked 2,325 Times in 1,000 Posts
Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
A related but sorta separate question: for folks that regularly take a daily driver or otherwise non-dedicated car to the track.. who do you use for normal car insurance?

I recently did my first track day - the Toyota freebie with NASA. I didn't get insurance for the day which was the right move because it would have been a waste. Traffic due to newbies was so heavy it was like driving at public road speeds for the few sessions we got.

Anyhow I was thinking to make doing at least 1 or 2 HPDEs per year a thing and so may do insurance in the future. I called my current provider to make sure they had no issue with me getting track day insurance on top of theirs and was informed driving any car under their policy on a race track in any capacity is prohibited use, and if I did so they will drop me and all of my vehicles all together. Whew!

Calling around I've gotten through about 5 major providers. Everyone says same thing - even though the policy excludes them from track accident liability, they don't want the risk. So no race track at all, or no policy. Hagerty is the only one I've spoken to that is OK with track days on their regular policy. Unfortunately I plan to drive the car 5-8k mi per year which is way too high for them as their "regular" insurance is intended for low-mileage classics.

So does anyone have a regular insurance policy that is OK with going to the track, just no coverage if something happens there? Or is everyone in that boat just winging it?
Why would you even mention that you may track your car to your normal insurance provider? It's something they do not need to know as they will have no liability. Pretty much all of them will drop you if you tell them....even if you are purchasing track specific coverage from another provider.
Old 07-06-2023, 12:22 PM   #34
fredzy
Mebmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie View Post
Why would you even mention that you may track your car to your normal insurance provider? It's something they do not need to know as they will have no liability. Pretty much all of them will drop you if you tell them....even if you are purchasing track specific coverage from another provider.
From all of the research I did on the subject I had no idea that was how it was. I'd found tons of info on track day insurance but never read/heard anywhere that traditional providers don't permit any track use whatsoever. Just the obvious point that they won't cover anything that happens on a track.

I read somewhere that some traditional providers do offer some form of coverage at a track - what I know now is BS. By the time I spoke with my rep I knew this wasn't going to be the case with them but I had the question in mind initially.

I would never have guessed that everyone was winging it in this way. I generally don't do anything like that, call me square. Sorry if all this should have remained unspoken haha
Old 07-06-2023, 01:12 PM   #35
RT-BRZ
FNG

Quote:
I would never have guessed that everyone was winging it in this way. I generally don't do anything like that, call me square. Sorry if all this should have remained unspoken haha
If you read this entire thread, there was a reason I posted what I posted about being willing to part with your car. I know that's not a popular sentiment among enthusiasts but, because of the challenging insurance environment, that's basically where you stand. Track day insurance for a car that's not too expensive isn't terrible but for a very nice car it's pretty pricey.

In the end we're all subject to not only the chance that we'll have an incident at the track that we cause but also the chance that we'll be impacted by someone else's incident.

This is a very expensive hobby for sure.
Old 07-06-2023, 03:36 PM   #36
fredzy
Mebmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT-BRZ View Post
If you read this entire thread, there was a reason I posted what I posted about being willing to part with your car. I know that's not a popular sentiment among enthusiasts but, because of the challenging insurance environment, that's basically where you stand. Track day insurance for a car that's not too expensive isn't terrible but for a very nice car it's pretty pricey.

In the end we're all subject to not only the chance that we'll have an incident at the track that we cause but also the chance that we'll be impacted by someone else's incident.

This is a very expensive hobby for sure.
I did read the whole thread beforehand and I'm on the same page as you basically.

"Don't take any car to the track that you wouldn't mind losing" is extreme at face value but not bad advice when you accept that tracking a car is purely a luxury. It's the #2 reason I hadn't dipped my toes until recently. Factoring in insurance one can somewhat ignore that advice, but it all adds up to a very steep barrier to entry and a questionable decision unless you're financially very healthy.
The Following User Says Thank You to fredzy For This Useful Post:
RT-BRZ (07-06-2023)
Old 07-06-2023, 04:16 PM   #37
RT-BRZ
FNG

Quote:
I did read the whole thread beforehand and I'm on the same page as you basically.

"Don't take any car to the track that you wouldn't mind losing" is extreme at face value but not bad advice when you accept that tracking a car is purely a luxury. It's the #2 reason I hadn't dipped my toes until recently. Factoring in insurance one can somewhat ignore that advice, but it all adds up to a very steep barrier to entry and a questionable decision unless you're financially very healthy.
Yeah, I agree that it's extreme. I didn't come up with that line but I get the point. If you look beyond the initial insult of what it's saying, it's really aimed at the people that have a car they cherish and wouldn't want to lose. If you see the car you take there as a tool to do the thing you love then it's stings a little less because you know you can recover from whatever might happen to the car. The financial aspects are definitely a fly in the ointment. There is risk with this stuff and even insurance won't help if you lose the car you love to whatever might happen.
The Following User Says Thank You to RT-BRZ For This Useful Post:
fredzy (07-06-2023)
Old 07-06-2023, 05:34 PM   #38
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,481 Times in 4,999 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Factoring in insurance one can somewhat ignore that advice, but it all adds up to a very steep barrier to entry and a questionable decision unless you're financially very healthy.
Have a plan for getting to work on Monday if your car isn’t driveable as well. As my only car (+ my wife’s car) I can work from home short term while I find a replacement.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
RT-BRZ (07-06-2023)
Old 07-06-2023, 06:06 PM   #39
la.flama.blanca
nOOb

Drives: FRS, Cayman, Silverado
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Absolutely never mention Autocross/HPDE/Trackdays/Racing/Racetrack of any kind to your normal insurance carrier. They will 100% note that on your account and some carriers will drop you at your next renewal (they will almost never do it early so they don’t have to note the reason for cancellation).

For those contemplating doing HPDE, I’m not sure why you would risk taking a 20-35k car out on a track with other drivers without some type of coverage. Unless you just don’t care, have plenty of money to cover the potential bad-case scenario. It’s just not worth the risk, IMO.

I just got done with a 2-Day event and used Lockton for my Ins. coverage. Was $170 for the event with 25k coverage and a 15% ded. It’s worth it.
la.flama.blanca is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to la.flama.blanca For This Useful Post:
RT-BRZ (07-06-2023)
Old 07-06-2023, 07:48 PM   #40
autoracer86

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I had one friend total his mazda speed 3 at NJMP many years ago. Called his insurance company and said he crashed at a driving school event. No issues

There is always the bring it to the street then call trick. When I was younger and being stupid I hit a curb called the insurance company with a BS story they couldn't care less what happened lol I paid my deductible and that was it.

Track insurance is for people that want to follow the law and be worry free but most people can get away with lying and paying the deductible
autoracer86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 02:21 PM   #41
GrandSport

Drives: 13 Viper; 14 BRZ; 90 Miata; 18 AMG
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Most street policies these days have a specific exclusion.

Towing your car to the street and making up a story will probably "work," but man, you're taking some serious risk with committing felony insurance fraud over a net of ~$15k (after deductible, premium hike, etc.).

Consider just getting a cheap track car. You can get an "hpde miata" (gutted, suspension, etc, but far from spec) for $7-10k all day long, and probably a lot less than that. It won't lose any value and will probably save you a lot of money in operating cost. So it's not so much "spending" money as "locking up money." You'll be able to slowly build that. You'll also be able to run true track settings without compromise for the street (or significantly less). Or hell, just buy a shitty old miata, put $2500 into it for cooling, pads and suspension and track it.

Just play within your own financial means. If you don't, this sport can bite you really hard. There will always be someone with more.
2018 GLE 63 AMG: +800hp whistling AWD TT V8 grocery getter
2016 GX460: IDK. Too reliable to sell. Too boring to use.

Last edited by GrandSport; 07-07-2023 at 02:33 PM.
GrandSport is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GrandSport For This Useful Post:
Kelse92 (07-11-2023), NoHaveMSG (07-07-2023), RT-BRZ (07-07-2023)
Old 07-07-2023, 03:33 PM   #42
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,328 Times in 7,385 Posts
Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandSport View Post
Most street policies these days have a specific exclusion.

Towing your car to the street and making up a story will probably "work," but man, you're taking some serious risk with committing felony insurance fraud over a net of ~$15k (after deductible, premium hike, etc.).

Consider just getting a cheap track car. You can get an "hpde miata" (gutted, suspension, etc, but far from spec) for $7-10k all day long, and probably a lot less than that. It won't lose any value and will probably save you a lot of money in operating cost. So it's not so much "spending" money as "locking up money." You'll be able to slowly build that. You'll also be able to run true track settings without compromise for the street (or significantly less). Or hell, just buy a shitty old miata, put $2500 into it for cooling, pads and suspension and track it.

Just play within your own financial means. If you don't, this sport can bite you really hard. There will always be someone with more.
^^100% agree. Not worth the risk. One of my buddies has binned his BRZ a couple times and just decided to part it out and bought a cheap NB Miata. He races with a team that does Lucky Dog events in a Miata anyway so he figured it would be good to go to that platform.
RT-BRZ (07-07-2023)