follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 05-14-2020, 04:39 AM   #43
sneaky_pete

Drives: MY14 86 GTS Manual Velocity Orange
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by conehead View Post
I also autoxed a new Miata recently and got to enjoy a proper shift feel. This is still the worst shifting sports car I have ever driven.
the car reviewers rave about it but in stock form it is nothing too spectacular. I have done the following to my car and the improvement is night and day:

MTEC shift Springs
MTEC Clutch Spring
Adjusted clutch travel
Whiteline Positive Shift Kit
Whiteline Differential mount in cradle insert bushings
Penrite GL4 Transmission Oil
Penrite ShiftEZE

It is all snickety snick once warmed up. My first to second shift still binds a bit when it is cold but it is way better than before. Takes a lot less time to settle down too.
sneaky_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 01:05 PM   #44
anticubus

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Yep, an S2000 and a 5 speed Miata transmission will definitely spoil ya.

Coming from the other side of this argument (C59 in 1st gen Matrix and whatever 6 speed rubbery bs on the 2nd gen Mazda 3 2.5L), this shifter is amazing. Even better than the WRXs I've tried.

I can't imagine it getting better, I love hearing first gear go whirRRRRrrrrr and I've never had this clunky, notchy stuff everyone complains about. Makes me want a dog box for the street, but I do occasionally have to let other people drive it
anticubus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anticubus For This Useful Post:
humfrz (05-14-2020), JesseG (07-16-2020)
Old 07-01-2020, 10:46 AM   #45
chipmunk

Drives: _
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Just a guess, but... the shifter rod linkage joints & bushings could have been worn too much?

A firm, intentional shift should engage the gears without issues. Sometimes the synchros take a little wearing in, but they are usually pretty darn good when it comes to making sure that gears are smoothly engaged. The V-shaped teeth sometimes could have little dulling/pitting on the tip that could cause some hesitation. Maybe regular oil changes might keep the surfaces clean for friction-free sliding
chipmunk is offline   Reply With Quote