follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 11-04-2021, 05:46 PM   #15
AJ32162

Drives: 2019 BRZ with Performance Package
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spcmafia View Post
No kidding. The front desk guy was super nice about it, but the “The tech didn’t know where the fuel pump was, she was looking for it somewhere else” got me. Then I saw her coming out of the shop looking kind of mad.
But its cool, at least any further repairs won’t cost me a cent. I can also use this thread to inform people on what to watch out for, for example, make sure the dealership you’re going to has seen a BRZ before…..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Personally, I'd prefer to remove the defective one and trade it for the new one and replace it myself, but I know that won't happen.
AJ32162 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AJ32162 For This Useful Post:
spcmafia (11-05-2021)
Old 11-05-2021, 07:22 AM   #16
spcmafia

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Thanked 4,132 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ32162 View Post
Personally, I'd prefer to remove the defective one and trade it for the new one and replace it myself, but I know that won't happen.
If anything it gives me a good excuse to order a better fuel pump, I haven't ordered something for the car in a while LoL.
Old 11-08-2021, 07:45 AM   #17
spcmafia

Vehicle is fixed. Haven't run into any complications or issues. But the car feels different. Throttle response is a little quicker, develops speed a little easier too. Trying to get that figured out with Steve99 and see if there's anything that can be measured in the data logs before and after the pump.
Old 11-08-2021, 01:11 PM   #18
MJones_RB

Drives: Scion FR-S Series 10 #2462
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Funny this didn't affect the FR-S of the same year...
MJones_RB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 06:58 PM   #19
Ohio Enthusiast

Drives: 2018 BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJones_RB View Post
Funny this didn't affect the FR-S of the same year...
Of course it does (although obviously as the Toyota 86) - https://www.usatoday.com/recalls/aut...SA-21V587000/:
Quote:
Subaru of America, Inc. (Subaru) is recalling certain 2019-2020 Ascent, 2018 Forester, 2018-2020 Impreza, Legacy, Outback, 2018-2019 BRZ, WRX, and Toyota 86 vehicles. The low-pressure fuel pump inside the fuel tank may fail.
Ohio Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ohio Enthusiast For This Useful Post:
MJones_RB (11-09-2021), Tcoat (11-09-2021)
Old 11-12-2021, 03:50 PM   #20
spcmafia

Quick update. Had to refuel the car since I got the recall done. I had a little above 1/4 tank, per the dashboard. Filled up, I like to press the trigger twice to make sure the tank is indeed full. Turn on the car and see my fuel gauge, it says 3/4 full. I know it is impossible that it is 3/4 full because I just put in about 11 gal in. No fuel smell.
Called the dealership and ask if maybe they fucked up, and they said that it possible they did. Now I have to drive around to half tank and bring it over. Now I’m really getting pissed off. One of the easiest cars to work on, and can’t even do a fuel pump replacement right.

AJ32162 (11-12-2021), Busybee (11-12-2021)
Old 12-13-2021, 02:14 PM   #21
spcmafia

Holy.. It's been a month since I encountered the issue. I had to wait almost a full month before I could bring the vehicle over so the dealer can hopefully fix the tank level indicator. Lets see how it goes. I really could've done it myself, but its cold, and why risk it when its free, and I get a nice loaner vehicle.

Moral of the story is, write down how much gas you brought the vehicle with, and you should have the same once you pick it up. Which should be 1/2 tank in order to bring it in. Refuel immediately, check fuel gauge level, if its not full, bring that car back in. Else you risk possibly running out of gas, even if the gauge reads 1/4 tank or more.
AJ32162 (12-13-2021), The Red One (12-13-2021)
Old 12-15-2021, 07:39 PM   #22
PenGun
Banned

Drives: Red 2019 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Got mine done today. No problems at all. There was a 2022 there and I can confirm they are ugly. Ugly front, ugly ridge under the doors and ugly ass, well compared to mine anyway. I did like the wheels.
PenGun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PenGun For This Useful Post:
Dzmitry (12-16-2021), spcmafia (12-16-2021), Tcoat (12-16-2021)
Old 12-16-2021, 06:17 AM   #23
spcmafia

Dropped the car off yesterday, it looks like they're are going to have to replace to whole thing. Fine by me. I still can't believe that mine is the first BRZ they have ever worked on. I mean, it shows, but for a car that has been out for almost 10 years, find it hard to believe.
Old 12-16-2021, 11:44 AM   #24
Dzmitry

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Limited with PP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenGun View Post
Got mine done today. No problems at all. There was a 2022 there and I can confirm they are ugly. Ugly front, ugly ridge under the doors and ugly ass, well compared to mine anyway. I did like the wheels.
I saw one in my area the other day as well, which I was surprised by. But the biggest thing I realized after seeing it was it did not spark anything... All these claims of it being better looking in person, and I just did not see that. Granted, the best view I got was about 25 yard away, it still looked exactly like the photos... meh.
Dzmitry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 11:36 AM   #25
Ohio Enthusiast

Drives: 2018 BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Got my recall done this morning, filled up the car to full and fulel gauge only shows around half.

Called the dealer, they said try to disconnect the battery to reset the gauge and come over if that doesn't help. Disconnected and reconnected, gauge still shows low but appears to be slightly higher then before. Fingers crossed it will resolve itself over time/with the next fill up (I can gauge the amount of fuel by miles driven since the last fill up).

Quote:
Dropped the car off yesterday, it looks like they're are going to have to replace to whole thing. Fine by me. I still can't believe that mine is the first BRZ they have ever worked on. I mean, it shows, but for a car that has been out for almost 10 years, find it hard to believe.
Did they replace the entire pump assembly again to fix the fuel gauge? My dealer said the float might snag on a rubber seal, but judging by this video (around 2:35 mark) it doesn't look like the float could have such an issue.

If it's just a matter of making sure the float is moving freely I'd prefer to take the fuel pump out myself and wiggle the float around to check for any obstructions.

Ohio Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 11:47 AM   #26
spcmafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Enthusiast View Post
Got my recall done this morning, filled up the car to full and fulel gauge only shows around half.

Called the dealer, they said try to disconnect the battery to reset the gauge and come over if that doesn't help. Disconnected and reconnected, gauge still shows low but appears to be slightly higher then before. Fingers crossed it will resolve itself over time/with the next fill up (I can gauge the amount of fuel by miles driven since the last fill up).

Did they replace the entire pump assembly again to fix the fuel gauge? My dealer said the float might snag on a rubber seal, but judging by this video (around 2:35 mark) it doesn't look like the float could have such an issue.

If it's just a matter of making sure the float is moving freely I'd prefer to take the fuel pump out myself and wiggle the float around to check for any obstructions.

That is exactly what mine did too, except when I "Filled Up" it was showing a little less than 3/4 of a tank. Then it gets tricky, it would go to 1/4, then go back to half, but it wasn't accurate either as I managed to run out of fuel with the gauge indicating 1/4 again.

They had to replace the whole assembly to fix it since whatever part they replaced, and broke, once is broken there's no going back.

They'll probably ask you to bring it in again with less than half tank, again, so you'll have to guess-timate when you reach that level of fuel.
Busybee (02-22-2022), Ohio Enthusiast (02-22-2022)
Old 02-22-2022, 12:03 PM   #27
Busybee

Drives: BRZ limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
That is exactly what mine did too, except when I "Filled Up" it was showing a little less than 3/4 of a tank. Then it gets tricky, it would go to 1/4, then go back to half, but it wasn't accurate either as I managed to run out of fuel with the gauge indicating 1/4 again.

They had to replace the whole assembly to fix it since whatever part they replaced, and broke, once is broken there's no going back.

They'll probably ask you to bring it in again with less than half tank, again, so you'll have to guess-timate when you reach that level of fuel.

Do you mind sharing the name of the dealer/service?
I also had a super boring experience with Subaru white plain service where they messed up the EVAP issue and replaced everything new. They called someone from another Subaru service since their tech was an idiot not knowing where part are even located.

Mazda 323F BA 1997 - Overseas
Mazda 323 BG 1994 - Sold
Mazda 323 BG 1991 - Sold
Busybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 12:08 PM   #28
spcmafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busybee View Post
Do you mind sharing the name of the dealer/service?
I also had a super boring experience with Subaru white plain service where they messed up the EVAP issue and replaced everything new. They called someone from another Subaru service since their tech was an idiot not knowing where part are even located.

Valenti Subaru in Westerly, RI.