follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 09-22-2017, 01:53 PM   #1
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
2017 86 Rattling sound driving normally..

So I have an issue.

My beloved 86 is making a rattling sound in my early time of ownership, I have been looking around real hard for someone who may have this issue but I can't seem to see anything quite like it, although there are some that are similar. I am also not well experienced with a standard vehicle nor working on it myself, so investigating the issue has simply been me attempting and successfully recreating and identifying how the rattle happens.

Have also taken it to Toyota and they couldn't recreate it, even after I drove with their "lead" technician and displayed the rattling sound and confirmed that he heard it. Will be trying to go to another Toyota after this weekend, but busy schedule.

The Issue:

The rattling sound happens under specific circumstances only, and I had discovered it while driving normally to and from work. The rattling sound happens only while the car is moving, in gears 2-6, under some kind of load (light - heavy), at the specific range of 2.1k - 3.05k RPM and only while the throttle is being depressed (either a fast press, or light tap to simply maintain coasting speeds.).

The volume of the rattling sound can also vary, I can make it louder or quieter depending on how heavy I press the throttle, also the rattling sound sounds like it is coming from the front half of the vehicle, mostly the engine bay area I suspect, but being limited on where I can sit to hear the noise I cannot pin point exactly where the noise is. It also sounds something close to metal hitting metal, and can be heard more vividly with the windows down, but does not limit the rattling sound to being heard while the windows are up, it simply sounds like a slightly muffled version.

Any suggestions would be great, I have done most of the things in my power, which isn't really much, to find and narrow down the problem.

Edit: To give an idea of how new the car is, I have 5400 km on the Odometer in my month and 3 weeks of ownership.

30/10/2017
Edit 2:
(Nice bold red edit for just for hum!)
Bringing this thread back up because the issue still exists, but I have an interesting update. Odo is at 8100 km.

Went to two different dealerships on the 13th of September and the 27th of October. First dealership was useless, the second dealership fully acknowledge the sound and has deemed it an issue, but they have no idea what it could be and any guess atm is just a long shot. Interestingly though, when I had gone in and explained the issue thoroughly, they were able to hear the sound without me needing to drive it to recreate it.

ALSO, big big also, there was another 2017 86 in for the same issue, but not until I came in and explained exactly how to recreate the sound, were they able to create it.

I don't believe at all that this sound is normal because of how harsh and loud the sound can be, and how specific it is to a certain rpm range.

I have also contacted Toyota Canada about this issue, and it will likely get escalated.

Last edited by Jordanwolf; 10-30-2017 at 03:24 PM.
Jordanwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jordanwolf For This Useful Post:
alone1i (09-03-2020), humfrz (10-30-2017)
Old 09-22-2017, 02:20 PM   #2
DaBoBo21
Brett

Drives: ‘94 Supra
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post

The Issue:

The rattling sound happens under specific circumstances only, and I had discovered it while driving normally to and from work. The rattling sound happens only while the car is moving, in gears 2-6, under some kind of load (light - heavy), at the specific range of 2.1k - 3.05k RPM and only while the throttle is being depressed (either a fast press, or light tap to simply maintain coasting speeds.).

The volume of the rattling sound can also vary, I can make it louder or quieter depending on how heavy I press the throttle, also the rattling sound sounds like it is coming from the front half of the vehicle, mostly the engine bay area I suspect, but being limited on where I can sit to hear the noise I cannot pin point exactly where the noise is. It also sounds something close to metal hitting metal, and can be heard more vividly with the windows down, but does not limit the rattling sound to being heard while the windows are up, it simply sounds like a slightly muffled version.
Is it a sort of metallic rattle that happens under acceleration? Goes away once drivetrain settles out?
DaBoBo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 02:25 PM   #3
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBoBo21 View Post
Is it a sort of metallic rattle that happens under acceleration? Goes away once drivetrain settles out?
Yes, and it's much different than the low RPM tractor sound that happens under 2k and never happens over 3.1k.
Old 09-22-2017, 02:29 PM   #4
DaBoBo21
Brett

Garage
Quote:
Yes, and it's much different than the low RPM tractor sound that happens under 2k and never happens over 3.1k.
I can almost guarantee you that it's a either the heatshield on the front pipe or over pipe. I had a similar experience to you and it ended up being the FP heatshield. I would start there, man.
The Following User Says Thank You to DaBoBo21 For This Useful Post:
humfrz (09-22-2017)
Old 09-22-2017, 02:34 PM   #5
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBoBo21 View Post
I can almost guarantee you that it's a either the heatshield on the front pipe or over pipe. I had a similar experience to you and it ended up being the FP heatshield. I would start there, man.
Thanks, it seems to be that the multitude of rattling sounds that people are having, the most widespread solution is the heatshield. I just couldn't find one example of the exact same situation under the same circumstances. Hopefully this can be resolved, it feels really bad to have a brand new car and it has potential issues
Old 09-22-2017, 02:38 PM   #6
DaBoBo21
Brett

Garage
Quote:
Thanks, it seems to be that the multitude of rattling sounds that people are having, the most widespread solution is the heatshield. I just couldn't find one example of the exact same situation under the same circumstances. Hopefully this can be resolved, it feels really bad to have a brand new car and it has potential issues
I was in your shoes, man. I had the rattle from the time I took the car off the lot. I convinced myself it was normal until it started doing it while I slightly revved the car at idle. I think it's a common thing to have a heatshield issue with 16s and 17s. Nothing wrong with the car, just more annoying.
Old 09-22-2017, 03:10 PM   #7
SoNotCool

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
also another common rattle, is the back deck... my will rattle then once the car settles down on the road it stops rattling unless i hit a bump ...
SoNotCool is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SoNotCool For This Useful Post:
DaBoBo21 (09-22-2017)
Old 09-22-2017, 05:24 PM   #8
UH60CE

Drives: 2017 Halo 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I have this little rattle as well 2017 86 manual. Only happens when I'm driving and stepping on the gas pedal somewhat "quickly" and "aggressively" and I hear a slight chirp rattle whatever you wanna call it. Car is all stock no mods and it has been doing this since the day I rolled of the dealer with 5 miles on the odometer. Completely normal I believe. Some guy here posted a video of a 17 BRZ doing it as well
UH60CE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 08:38 PM   #9
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by UH60CE View Post
I have this little rattle as well 2017 86 manual. Only happens when I'm driving and stepping on the gas pedal somewhat "quickly" and "aggressively" and I hear a slight chirp rattle whatever you wanna call it. Car is all stock no mods and it has been doing this since the day I rolled of the dealer with 5 miles on the odometer. Completely normal I believe. Some guy here posted a video of a 17 BRZ doing it as well
It really grinds my gears, anything I have driven to date has never sounded like this, so that's my cause for concern. When I go back to Toyota on 27/09/2017 I will give the suggestion of it perhaps being the heatshield and see what they say.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:41 PM   #10
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I suggest that you keep after the dealership until they figure it out and "fix" it.

Like said above, most likely some part of the exhaust system it hitting another part of the car.

Back in 1970 I bought a brand new MGB-GT. Something around the transmission rattled under acceleration, so, I took it back to the dealer. They "fixed" it.

I asked them what was rattling, they said the transmission case was rattling against the transmission tunnel. I ask them how they fixed it. They said they took a crowbar and pried the transmission tunnel further away from the transmission case.

Sometimes the "Bubba" method of fixing things works best ......

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
DaBoBo21 (09-23-2017)
Old 10-30-2017, 11:28 AM   #11
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
bump
Old 10-30-2017, 01:51 PM   #12
humfrz

Quote:
bump
Soooooo ........ what have you done (had done) to try to figure it out ...... ??

humfrz
Old 10-30-2017, 01:58 PM   #13
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Soooooo ........ what have you done (had done) to try to figure it out ...... ??

humfrz
It's in the first post, I just edited it so it would be at the top
Old 10-30-2017, 03:13 PM   #14
humfrz

Quote:
It's in the first post, I just edited it so it would be at the top
........ it's not nice to confuse old men!

You could have mentioned that in your last post ........then put the edited part in LARGE PRINT of a different color .......

Sheeeesh ........ no consideration for your elders.

PS. - maybe I'll go back and try to figure it out ........ after ma nap ....... if I remember ......

humfrz