follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 11-04-2021, 06:01 PM   #1
kyto31

Drives: 2018 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Edelbrock SC Kit - MAF sensor gets dirty fast

Does anyone else with the Edelbrock SC kit have issues with their MAF sensor getting dirty all the time? I have to clean my MAF almost weekly. The engine runs really rough if I let it build up, or if a big piece of dirt gets on the sensor. Wondering if anyone else has had this issue, or knows of a better air filter I can get that fits the kit.
kyto31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 06:06 PM   #2
Auto_egr

Drives: 2017 CWP BRZ w/PP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Are you running the new dry filter they provide with the latest kits?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Auto_egr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 06:32 PM   #3
kyto31

Yea it's the dry air filter
Old 11-04-2021, 06:33 PM   #4
Auto_egr

Drives: 2017 CWP BRZ w/PP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Edelbrock SC Kit - MAF sensor gets dirty fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyto31 View Post
Yea it's the dry air filter

Check for any air box leaks. I can pull my MAF to confirm for you but last time I did it looked just fine.

Edit: also possible your PCV (maybe CCV can't remember off-hand) is making it dirty!

Auto_egr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 07:49 PM   #5
kyto31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto_egr View Post
Check for any air box leaks. I can pull my MAF to confirm for you but last time I did it looked just fine.

Edit: also possible your PCV (maybe CCV can't remember off-hand) is making it dirty!

Thanks, I'll check for any leaks. I doubt it's the pcv though, I've noticed there's a decent chance the symptoms will appear shortly after driving through a cloud of dirt - so gotta be air filter
Old 11-05-2021, 01:42 AM   #6
FrickingReallySlow

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Once the MAF gets some abrasion from dirt, further cleaning doesn't help and you need a new one. Basically there's 2 small resistors deep inside the black tube of the MAF once they get scratched and scuffed enough they collect dirt much quicker. Even getting the MAF spray to hit them correctly is hard. The resistor you see on the outside is just a temp sensor. I remember seeing a youtube video close up of the damaged mafs before and after cleaning and it was pretty enlightening.

How many miles on your current MAF and do you drive through dirt roads a lot?
FrickingReallySlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 09:29 AM   #7
kyto31

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrickingReallySlow View Post
Once the MAF gets some abrasion from dirt, further cleaning doesn't help and you need a new one. Basically there's 2 small resistors deep inside the black tube of the MAF once they get scratched and scuffed enough they collect dirt much quicker. Even getting the MAF spray to hit them correctly is hard. The resistor you see on the outside is just a temp sensor. I remember seeing a youtube video close up of the damaged mafs before and after cleaning and it was pretty enlightening.

How many miles on your current MAF and do you drive through dirt roads a lot?
So far after I clean it the car always drives extremely smooth. The current MAF has about 25k on it. I've only had issues after installing the supercharger kit a year ago. I've taken it back to the shop I had it installed at a couple times and they could not find anything wrong other then the dirty MAF.

I don't drive on any dirt roads. Any cloud of dirt I drive through is usually due to some construction I drive by. But I live in a suburban North Carolina area. I used to live in the DC metro area and had the same problem.
Old 11-05-2021, 11:27 AM   #8
FrickingReallySlow

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Have you tried logging your LTFT/STFT/MAF voltage etc before and after cleaning just to confirm?

The edelbrock /KN filter definitely doesn't filter fine particles as well as the OEM (hence 2x more air that they claim)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyto31 View Post
So far after I clean it the car always drives extremely smooth. The current MAF has about 25k on it. I've only had issues after installing the supercharger kit a year ago. I've taken it back to the shop I had it installed at a couple times and they could not find anything wrong other then the dirty MAF.

I don't drive on any dirt roads. Any cloud of dirt I drive through is usually due to some construction I drive by. But I live in a suburban North Carolina area. I used to live in the DC metro area and had the same problem.
FrickingReallySlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 12:21 PM   #9
Decep

Drives: 2013 FR-S Series 10
Not at all, in almost 30k miles i've cleaned the MAF twice, and only as preventative maintenance.
Edelbrock Supercharger installed @ 50k
Decep is offline   Reply With Quote