follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 12-17-2013, 01:33 PM   #211
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsChrisKim View Post
I'm torn. I've always liked the WRX. I like the idea of focusing on a more dialed in suspension, but I really dislike the way the new car looks. I've always liked the look of the hatchback more and the death of the hatch makes me very sad. That said, improvements in the interior are always welcomed. I just hope the next time I'm purchasing a car (~5 years) there'll be a new version of the WRX out as I'll probably be ready to get back into a more practical car (recently got engaged and who knows if kids might pop out...).

EDIT: The car actually looks pretty nice from the side profile in red.
I feel the same way. It sounds like many of the complaints I had about the steering/shifter of the previous WRX have been addressed, but I still am not loving the exterior (need to see it in person). Still seems to heavy too, but I will give one a drive. It would have to drive very good for me to give up my BRZ, but the Motortrend report is quite favorable. STi version should be awesome.
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 02:02 PM   #212
G_Ride

Drives: Some kind of Subaru
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k View Post
Sure, I know. But the latest generation Impreza (on which it is based) lost several hundred pounds. The WRX is still greatly based on it. Thus there should be some weight loss.
I know what you're saying. However the new impreza is lighter, but not by several hundred pounds. The base impreza is listed at 2944lbs and the highest model impreza is 3109lbs. My old 2007 2.5i wagon had a listed curb weight of 3060lbs. All of the extra weight from reinforcement, beefier parts, a turbo, new safety equipment, etc. adds up. Also the current impreza and WRX use a 5 speed, which I know from helping a friend swap a 5 speed to a 6 speed, is noticeably lighter than a 6 speed. Maybe Subaru is keeping the real weight saving pieces for the STI?
G_Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 02:04 PM   #213
HeubergerMotors

Drives: 2006 WRX TR
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
I've been taking pre-orders for these
HeubergerMotors is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HeubergerMotors For This Useful Post:
G_Ride (12-17-2013), illmatic (12-17-2013)
Old 12-17-2013, 03:39 PM   #214
illmatic

Drives: BRZ Limited 6MT, 02 AW, 03PSM WRX
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeubergerMotors View Post
I've been taking pre-orders for these
I might have to use your service come spring time. Just want to check and drive one in person first.
illmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to illmatic For This Useful Post:
HeubergerMotors (12-17-2013)
Old 12-17-2013, 03:41 PM   #215
ThisIsChrisKim
Hockey Playing Scientist

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited 6MT (WRB)
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thill View Post
I feel the same way. It sounds like many of the complaints I had about the steering/shifter of the previous WRX have been addressed, but I still am not loving the exterior (need to see it in person). Still seems to heavy too, but I will give one a drive. It would have to drive very good for me to give up my BRZ, but the Motortrend report is quite favorable. STi version should be awesome.
Right. The steering, shifter, and clutch was bollocks on the previous model. One of the things I was reticent about before testing driving the BRZ. I had assumed all Subarus had similar tangible feedback.
ThisIsChrisKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 04:05 PM   #216
sprintertrueno86

Drives: 2018 BMW M2
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTHachiRoku View Post
I'm hoping a WRB CVT model will be my FR-S's garage mate come next Winter
Will be replacing the 2006 Legacy.
Same here...not really a fan of the exterior but I wouldnt mind trading my LGT in a few yrs for a low mileage CVT WRX. It would be cool to own 2 WRB vehicles.
sprintertrueno86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 08:49 AM   #217
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
What subaru have made is a great car, and one that will appeal to a wider sports car audience with the better transmission options. It doesn't brag with loud unequal length exhaust headers and less fender flare. People will really start to like these when the hatch version comes out.

I don't like the wheels. I don't think subaru could come up with a better design, though. They are nice up close.

Last edited by radroach; 12-21-2013 at 10:01 AM.
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 10:45 AM   #218
reardrv

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
This sounds just like when the last WRX came out. "Oh my god, even though it performs better in every possible way it has gained an insignificant amount of weight so it sucks". Give me a break, it's lighter than allot of the front wheel drive competition in its class for Christ sake. Its about 300lbs lighter than an Evo, and still has a form of torque vectoring. Compared to the BRZ it is 500lbs hevier, but it has two more doors, is turbocharged, has an AWD system and its a shit load bigger.

Its going to be heavier than a BRZ/FR-S, and unfortunately with ever stricter collision requirements, its going to be heavier. Instead of bitching about a 50ish pound weight gain, maybe we should be applauding Subaru for fixing the complaints about the last car.

I will say though, fuck the CVT and give me a real gear box.
reardrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 07:58 AM   #219
_______

Drives: SWP Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelvinBRZ View Post
Thoughts on the two pictures? This was taken randomly outside of a Sprint store...

Hoping this will be my garage in 2-3 years time.
_______ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 04:57 PM   #220
zerodark

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue (WRB Pearl)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I may be one of the few that actually doesn't mind the looks of the new WRX.. the front end anyways. There is something, however, about the tail lights that just doesn't seem to flow with the rest of the car.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:46 AM   #221
Deslock

Drives: 2013 DZE/01 (sold for MX5 ND1)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antheezy View Post
Found this article on the leaked WRX coming out. Thoughts? Opinions?
My first thought: Why isn't this in the vs subforum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reardrv View Post
This sounds just like when the last WRX came out. "Oh my god, even though it performs better in every possible way it has gained an insignificant amount of weight so it sucks".
I wouldn't characterize the response that way. When the bugeye came out, a lot of us were impressed with how much stiffer the chassis was and with how much faster the car was. But we also felt it was missing something visceral that the 2.5RS had, and many of us pointed to weight as the culprit.

With the 2015 WRX, many people hoped for a weight reduction given that's a common trend these days and that the car went back to a 2L.

It'll be interesting to see how it stacks up against the BRZ in terms of driver involvement... based on what I've read, I expect the WRX will be less nimble, a bit harsher, and have slower steering, but ought to still be fun. I'm pleased that they've improved the steering, shifter, and handling compared to the old WRX. For those that need the extra room, want AWD, and don't mind the increase in fuel consumption (vs the BRZ), this looks promising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas3wba0 View Post
Wheelbase is too short
I like that the wheelbase didn't grow... I'd rather it be even shorter (more fun at low speed).
Old 12-29-2013, 09:34 AM   #222
a2cpc

Drives: WRX
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Saw one at the Indy Car Show a couple of days ago...visually, it is a car.
a2cpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:57 AM   #223
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
I put a deposit down on a 2014 WRX hatchback and will go test drive it and potentially trade-in the BRZ on Monday. I am torn on waiting on the 2015, but I really want a hatchback, and Subaru dealers stopped taking orders on the 14's in September. Here in the midwest 2014 hatchbacks are scarce and typically sell within a day or two of hitting the lot. So the test drive for me will be telling and if I don't love the car I am waiting for the 2015, even though the 2015 looks like a souped up Corolla to me... I am just not loving the styling at all, but it sounds like the other improvements could trump them.

Dealer is selling it to me at $750 below MSRP but is throwing in a short shifter and sway bars for that price (dealer installed).
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thill For This Useful Post:
kthxbai (12-29-2013)
Old 01-01-2014, 08:31 PM   #224
kuhlka

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited AT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
A full test drive and review, including interviews with people from Subaru.

[ame]http://youtu.be/HHBZX7ZAWfU[/ame]
kuhlka is offline   Reply With Quote