follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 11-16-2019, 10:58 PM   #29
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,928 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
I can see how it's easy for the casual reader to misunderstand my reply to JoeC. I am not advocating for pausing between first and second. I was explaining how to create the condition that causes people to have trouble shifting into second when it's cold.

Different techniques yield different results because physics.
Necro to apologize? Bored?

Pausing is exactly the magic that works for me. Though I pause on the accelerator still in first, hold rpm for a second, then shift into 2nd. Works like a charm.
Old 11-16-2019, 11:36 PM   #30
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,510 Times in 18,915 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post

Pausing is exactly the magic that works for me. Though I pause on the accelerator still in first, hold rpm for a second, then shift into 2nd. Works like a charm.
I was thanked and when I read the more recent stuff. I was inspired to clarify.

Leveling out in gear and coupled is a different part of the process. Nothing wrong with that. The question is how quickly do you transition between being engaged in first to applying pressure to the second gear syncro clutch, especially first thing in the morning?

I am suggesting that the people who don't have any complaints and don't understand what others are experiencing, are those who already instinctively do not pause in neutral between first and second.
Old 11-18-2019, 08:07 AM   #31
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post

Old 01-22-2020, 05:25 PM   #32
jstn

Drives: '15 Vortech Supercharged
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrane View Post
Not necessarily a clunk, I guess. But a bit of resistance when shifting into first and second. I feel it may have to do with the cold temps here. Either way, I think I am going to do a tranny fluid change in the Spring.
It is a temperature thing, I've owned two of these cars and driven several more and every single one has had bitchy first and second gears when cold. It won't go into first easily if you're moving at all (rev matching it works fine though) and if it's near or below freezing temps outside it won't go into first at all unless you are completely stopped and let the clutch out in neutral for a second first.

Anyway it's normal for these I think. Changing out your trans fluid for something a little better than OEM helps in most cases. Otherwise just baby it when cold and be patient. Once you're used to it the only tricky things are 3->2 and 2->1 when cold but it's fine as long as you're good at rev matching and don't try to force the shifter anywhere it doesn't want to go.
jstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 04:27 PM   #33
conehead

Drives: RS 2.0
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I've had a similar issue with my car since buying it with 22k on it, and can't figure it out. It is a really annoying problem driving around in the city in a car I otherwise love.

The shifting is always a little clunky in all gears, but the real problem is shifting into 1st from a stop. It almost never will go into gear on the first try, no matter how hard I push. If I push and release 2 or 3 times it will drop in. Temps do not effect this, neither does the timing of pushing the clutch in. I see other similar complaints but not this exact one. Suggestions?
conehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 04:41 PM   #34
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by conehead View Post
I've had a similar issue with my car since buying it with 22k on it, and can't figure it out. It is a really annoying problem driving around in the city in a car I otherwise love.

The shifting is always a little clunky in all gears, but the real problem is shifting into 1st from a stop. It almost never will go into gear on the first try, no matter how hard I push. If I push and release 2 or 3 times it will drop in. Temps do not effect this, neither does the timing of pushing the clutch in. I see other similar complaints but not this exact one. Suggestions?
Do you have floor mats that could be bunched up under the pedal? Have you brought it somewhere to ask if they can adjust the pedal? Your issue sounds like it's not fully disengaging the clutch when you put the pedal down.
To test this, try starting in second a few times in situations where 1st normally wouldn't work. Don't worry about hurting anything, you just need to ride the clutch a little to get going in second, I do it in snowy weather a lot.

Let us/me know if from a stop, you can put it into second easily or if you have the same trouble as first gear.

Also, mandatory question- have you changed your trans fluid yet? You definitely should if we're troubleshooting shifting issues.
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
conehead (03-29-2020)
Old 03-29-2020, 04:53 PM   #35
conehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
Do you have floor mats that could be bunched up under the pedal? Have you brought it somewhere to ask if they can adjust the pedal? Your issue sounds like it's not fully disengaging the clutch when you put the pedal down.
To test this, try starting in second a few times in situations where 1st normally wouldn't work. Don't worry about hurting anything, you just need to ride the clutch a little to get going in second, I do it in snowy weather a lot.

Let us/me know if from a stop, you can put it into second easily or if you have the same trouble as first gear.

Also, mandatory question- have you changed your trans fluid yet? You definitely should if we're troubleshooting shifting issues.

No floor mat issues. It does this even with the floormats out at autox. It shifts into second or any other gear much easier from a stop, so I don't think its a clutch adjustment issue. I can also downshift into 1st easily when moving. I have read about the fluid change and plan to try that for general smoothness, but it doesn't seem like fluid would physically prevent me from getting it in gear.
Old 03-29-2020, 04:54 PM   #36
conehead

Does 1st gear have synchros on this car?
Old 03-30-2020, 08:12 AM   #37
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Yes
Old 03-30-2020, 05:36 PM   #38
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Of course it does - it just doesn't seem that way -
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 07:10 PM   #39
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,510 Times in 18,915 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:

If it's easy to engage first gear when the engine isn't running then the clutch is dragging. First test that.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:33 AM   #40
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:

I had a similar problem getting into 1st if the car was moving even just a little bit. It turned out to be the snout was scored and it was hanging up and not releasing completely after I had the clutch replaced. They had to drop the tranny and replace it and the TOB again. It worked fine after that.
Old 05-10-2020, 03:43 PM   #41
conehead

You guys were right, the clutch seemed to be dragging just a little. I followed the clutch pedal adjustment thread (but backwards) to get a little more travel and it mostly solved the problem. I also put some Amsoil in and that surprisingly actually did help smoothness.

I also autoxed a new Miata recently and got to enjoy a proper shift feel. This is still the worst shifting sports car I have ever driven.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to conehead For This Useful Post:
humfrz (05-11-2020), Ultramaroon (05-10-2020)
Old 05-11-2020, 12:50 AM   #42
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
You guys were right, the clutch seemed to be dragging just a little. I followed the clutch pedal adjustment thread (but backwards) to get a little more travel and it mostly solved the problem. I also put some Amsoil in and that surprisingly actually did help smoothness.

I also autoxed a new Miata recently and got to enjoy a proper shift feel. This is still the worst shifting sports car I have ever driven.
Yep, an S2000 and a 5 speed Miata transmission will definitely spoil ya.

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (05-11-2020)