follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 01-29-2020, 01:33 PM   #1
Dzmitry

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Limited with PP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Subaru Outback Won't Drive

For a 2001 Subaru Outback Limited MT:

Though my dad has already moved on and bought a new car, the situation before it still bothers me a bit and makes me curious as to what the problem was.

A few weeks ago, my dad was driving home from work and started feeling like the cars front wheel (felt like it was front left) was wobbling, and pretty hard. He said he had to use quite a lot of force to keep the steering wheel straight. There was also loud clanking noises or something along the lines of what he described. He managed to take his time and make it home while on the phone with me. As we were driving it to the shop with me following him, I did not notice any wheel wobble or anything unusual from behind.

Moving forward, the shop calls him to tell him that his clutch is dead because the car wont move. So this is where I get curious. My dad replaced his clutch about a year or two prior to this incident, so I really have a hard time believing it has anything to do with the clutch at all. And regardless of that, the symptoms he described that his car was experiencing just don't seem to relate to the clutch.

What could have broken/disengaged/rusted off over night to where the car could no longer move the next day? I know the culprit of this is almost always a bad transmission or clutch, but could that really create the symptoms he was having? Or was it just such bad luck that at the same time as something in the suspension was going, the transmission went too?
Dzmitry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 01:36 PM   #2
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 4,974 Times in 2,194 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
CV joints.
The Following User Says Thank You to bcj For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (01-29-2020)
Old 01-29-2020, 08:18 PM   #3
ActionMaxon
Professional Auto Fixer

Drives: 2016 Oceanic FR-S as Designed
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Sounds like maybe a seized brake caliper piston.

Pulling to one side, wobbly (warped rotor), and then wouldn't "drive" because essentially the brakes were locked up.

During the drive, the overheated brake pad lost holding ability (brake fade) so he could continue driving.

That is a total guess based on the limited available information. Clutch could have been womped during the course of limping to the shop and having to use extra clutch scrub to get it going if the brakes were locking up.

2016 Oceanic
ActionMaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ActionMaxon For This Useful Post:
DarkPira7e (01-29-2020), Dzmitry (01-30-2020), Spuds (01-30-2020)
Old 01-29-2020, 08:29 PM   #4
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
As ActionMaxon said, clutch probably took a lot of abuse being slipped to move the car under brake load... I'm sure a caliper seized, the old Subarus are known for it
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
Dzmitry (01-30-2020)
Old 01-29-2020, 08:31 PM   #5
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionMaxon View Post
Sounds like maybe a seized brake caliper piston.

Pulling to one side, wobbly (warped rotor), and then wouldn't "drive" because essentially the brakes were locked up.

During the drive, the overheated brake pad lost holding ability (brake fade) so he could continue driving.

That is a total guess based on the limited available information. Clutch could have been womped during the course of limping to the shop and having to use extra clutch scrub to get it going if the brakes were locking up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
As ActionMaxon said, clutch probably took a lot of abuse being slipped to move the car under brake load... I'm sure a caliper seized, the old Subarus are known for it
These^

And the fact that it is a 19 year old car doesn't help.
Dzmitry (01-30-2020)
Old 01-29-2020, 08:40 PM   #6
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Sometimes clutches can die in a year. It's not common but it is possible
Back in the day ACT clutches where notorious for poor quality on brand new clutches lasting less than a year.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.ac For This Useful Post:
Dzmitry (01-30-2020)
Old 01-30-2020, 08:30 AM   #7
Dzmitry

Garage
Interesting. Though I know that a caliper would cause these symptoms, I did not think of that being the issue at all. Thanks a lot guys! I'm gonna run back to that shop while it sits there and check it out. Fix it up and sell it for more than 250 which is what they're offering him to dump it lol. And The worst part is the engine in it was replaced about 90k ago due to a late oil change on regular oil, and quite a few other parts are fairly new. Thanks again for the info.
Old 01-30-2020, 10:53 AM   #8
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzmitry View Post
Interesting. Though I know that a caliper would cause these symptoms, I did not think of that being the issue at all. Thanks a lot guys! I'm gonna run back to that shop while it sits there and check it out. Fix it up and sell it for more than 250 which is what they're offering him to dump it lol. And The worst part is the engine in it was replaced about 90k ago due to a late oil change on regular oil, and quite a few other parts are fairly new. Thanks again for the info.
What you have seen is just a small taste of how fixing a 20 year old car can just lead to a domino effect of failures. It isn't just a matter of replacing a couple of parts like repairing a newer car but can become a total restoration project that soon becomes a money and time pit. There is a whole different level of dedication when you start working on older vehicles like this and a quick, cheap, flip is a rarity no matter how easy is seems.

Proceed with caution.

Or better yet...

soundman98 (01-30-2020), Spuds (01-30-2020), why? (01-31-2020)
Old 01-30-2020, 01:38 PM   #9
WolfpackS2k

Drives: '12 C63 P31, '23 GRC
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,185 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
I'm not an expert on Subarus (or AWD vehicles), but I find it highly unlikely that a brake caliper would seize up and not cause complete brake failure via boiling brake fluid. I've had personal experience driving with a frozen brake caliper, and I can assure that after driving about 10 miles like that I had no brakes. Pedal went straight to the floor. I avoided crashing by downshifting and using the E-brake.

It's definitely worth looking at though, as would be super easy to diagnose.
Old 01-30-2020, 08:58 PM   #10
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,672 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzmitry View Post
i probably wouldn't bother if the engine replacement is any indication.

the 2 main things that absolutely kill old cars are poor maintenance, and oddball parts like model-specific switches/trims.

poor maintenance will kill anything that can be replaced, and lack of a replacement of oddball parts like will doom whatever can't be replaced.
Old 01-30-2020, 10:52 PM   #11
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,427 Times in 6,146 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k View Post
I'm not an expert on Subarus (or AWD vehicles), but I find it highly unlikely that a brake caliper would seize up and not cause complete brake failure via boiling brake fluid. I've had personal experience driving with a frozen brake caliper, and I can assure that after driving about 10 miles like that I had no brakes. Pedal went straight to the floor. I avoided crashing by downshifting and using the E-brake.

It's definitely worth looking at though, as would be super easy to diagnose.
I've driven 30+ miles at 70+ mph with a seized brake caliper where that didn't happen. And yes, that is exactly as stupid as it sounds.
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (01-30-2020)
Old 01-31-2020, 08:20 AM   #12
WolfpackS2k

Drives: '12 C63 P31, '23 GRC
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,185 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
I've driven 30+ miles at 70+ mph with a seized brake caliper where that didn't happen. And yes, that is exactly as stupid as it sounds.

Holy crap man. Sounds like it was only "partially" seized. LOL, jk.

The Following User Says Thank You to WolfpackS2k For This Useful Post:
Spuds (01-31-2020)
Old 01-31-2020, 01:12 PM   #13
Dzmitry

Garage
[QUOTE=Tcoat;3295113]What you have seen is just a small taste of how fixing a 20 year old car can just lead to a domino effect of failures. It isn't just a matter of replacing a couple of parts like repairing a newer car but can become a total restoration project that soon becomes a money and time pit. There is a whole different level of dedication when you start working on older vehicles like this and a quick, cheap, flip is a rarity no matter how easy is seems.

Agreed. I have certainly had some taste of repairing old cars, but definitely not much yet. But of the two I owned (00 cavalier and 04 Mazda 6), both had issues that created plenty more. And yes, these aren't OLD haha, but I ain't either.... yet. The Mazda especially was a nightmare. I spent more time heading to the junkyard to pick up parts and changing them out than I did driving the thing. I remember taking it to the shop once because there was a particular code that was related to the throttle body going off, so I wanted the guy to see if I needed to replace it. He called me and told me there's too many codes on the car, he can't fix it, LOL.

As per the Subaru Outback business, I'll get a look at it this weekend real quick to check the brakes and maybe peak underneath the car. Just to satisfy my curiosity. Thanks guys.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dzmitry For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-31-2020)
Old 01-31-2020, 02:05 PM   #14
Tcoat

[quote=Dzmitry;3295589]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
What you have seen is just a small taste of how fixing a 20 year old car can just lead to a domino effect of failures. It isn't just a matter of replacing a couple of parts like repairing a newer car but can become a total restoration project that soon becomes a money and time pit. There is a whole different level of dedication when you start working on older vehicles like this and a quick, cheap, flip is a rarity no matter how easy is seems.

Agreed. I have certainly had some taste of repairing old cars, but definitely not much yet. But of the two I owned (00 cavalier and 04 Mazda 6), both had issues that created plenty more. And yes, these aren't OLD haha, but I ain't either.... yet. The Mazda especially was a nightmare. I spent more time heading to the junkyard to pick up parts and changing them out than I did driving the thing. I remember taking it to the shop once because there was a particular code that was related to the throttle body going off, so I wanted the guy to see if I needed to replace it. He called me and told me there's too many codes on the car, he can't fix it, LOL.

As per the Subaru Outback business, I'll get a look at it this weekend real quick to check the brakes and maybe peak underneath the car. Just to satisfy my curiosity. Thanks guys.
For much of my driving life I have had cars that were 15+ years old. Fixing them up/keeping them going can be fun but also a nightmare!

My year round DD from 2000 to 2004
Attached Images

Dzmitry (02-03-2020), soundman98 (01-31-2020)