follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum - FT86CLUB > Subaru BRZ > Subaru BRZ General Forum

Subaru BRZ General Forum All discussions about the Subaru BRZ coupe


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-06-2016, 01:33 AM   #421
Tcoat
He who smelt it...
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 2020 Hakone
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 60,464
Thanks: 53,415
Thanked 87,514 Times in 38,904 Posts
Mentioned: 2211 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Yeah, mine was a whopper of an understatement.
They make fun reading though!
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tcoat For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (11-06-2016)
Old 11-06-2016, 07:43 AM   #422
nikitopo
Senior Member
 
nikitopo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ
Location: York
Posts: 2,957
Thanks: 1,823
Thanked 1,412 Times in 953 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolBRZ View Post
I've mentioned both Final Drive and drive-by-wire specifically because neither mod changes the actual amount of horsepower the car puts down, but instead, each mod increases the power felt by the driver.
Final Drive is actually a torque multiplier and changes the amount of torque that is transferred on the wheels. However, things get complex with speed and the gear that you have to use in each case (shorter or longer FD). This is a reason why crankshaft power is a better measure of actual engine power.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 02:30 PM   #423
KoolBRZ
Senior Member
 
KoolBRZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Drives: Silver 2013 BRZ Ltd Auto 45,000 mi
Location: Vancouver, WA.USA
Posts: 965
Thanks: 86
Thanked 448 Times in 277 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Remapping the throttle is NOT a tune

For those who didn't know, a remapped throttle is only one map out of the hundreds that make up a tune. It is not a tune in and of itself. It does not change the maximum horsepower or torque of the engine. It simply changes how much goes where, at which pedal percentage and at which rpm. The actual air to fuel ratios, exhaust gas re-circulation, and emission controls are unchanged. These still work in the same relation, regardless of which throttle map is loaded.
Since there are a lot of car reviewers and car buyers who aren't looking for, and in some cases, can't even drive a stick, I want to concentrate on solutions for the Automatic versions of the FT86.
As a sports car owner, I am offended by the fact that a stock Auto FT86 can't keep up with a much of anything, econocars, SUV's, or minivans, in stop and go traffic.
The reason is, the cars just don't have enough low-end torque to accelerate in the same gear they are in. The gas pedal must be pressed at least 20% to trigger a downshift, and then, in a lower gear, at higher revs, it has so much power that it catches up to traffic dangerously quickly.
The solution is to remap the throttle and change the Final Drive. The throttle needs to actually have less power up to 20%, then more power from 20% to 100%, in the lower rpm ranges below 3000 rpm's.
I drive an Auto. I have used a 4.10, a 4.30, and currently a 4.88 Final Drive in my car. I've been backing up my words with actions, by actually changing the throttle map, driving, changing, driving, and learning as I go. There are a lot of negative people who Can't Do Sh*t, that feel they need to tear down those who can. I use Open Source RomRaider tuning software so I can share what I learn with others, and learn from others who are willing to share.
__________________
If I say yes, will that make you think I understand?

Last edited by KoolBRZ; 11-06-2016 at 03:21 PM.
KoolBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 03:54 PM   #424
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic
 
mrg666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 1,573
Thanks: 1,411
Thanked 874 Times in 587 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolBRZ View Post
For those who didn't know, a remapped throttle is only one map out of the hundreds that make up a tune. It is not a tune in and of itself. It does not change the maximum horsepower or torque of the engine. It simply changes how much goes where, at which pedal percentage and at which rpm. The actual air to fuel ratios, exhaust gas re-circulation, and emission controls are unchanged. These still work in the same relation, regardless of which throttle map is loaded.
Since there are a lot of car reviewers and car buyers who aren't looking for, and in some cases, can't even drive a stick, I want to concentrate on solutions for the Automatic versions of the FT86.
As a sports car owner, I am offended by the fact that a stock Auto FT86 can't keep up with a much of anything, econocars, SUV's, or minivans, in stop and go traffic.
The reason is, the cars just don't have enough low-end torque to accelerate in the same gear they are in. The gas pedal must be pressed at least 20% to trigger a downshift, and then, in a lower gear, at higher revs, it has so much power that it catches up to traffic dangerously quickly.
The solution is to remap the throttle and change the Final Drive. The throttle needs to actually have less power up to 20%, then more power from 20% to 100%, in the lower rpm ranges below 3000 rpm's.
I drive an Auto. I have used a 4.10, a 4.30, and currently a 4.88 Final Drive in my car. I've been backing up my words with actions, by actually changing the throttle map, driving, changing, driving, and learning as I go. There are a lot of negative people who Can't Do Sh*t, that feel they need to tear down those who can. I use Open Source RomRaider tuning software so I can share what I learn with others, and learn from others who are willing to share.
I feel that you are really wasting your time with this car. If I may, I would suggest a Mustang GT Automatic, just touch the gas pedal and everyone will be behind you. I am not trolling or sarcastic, but I see that twins are not for you, that's all. And ... you're welcome
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrg666 For This Useful Post:
darthpnoy1984 (11-06-2016), Hoahao (11-07-2016)
Old 11-06-2016, 04:27 PM   #425
Tcoat
He who smelt it...
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 2020 Hakone
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 60,464
Thanks: 53,415
Thanked 87,514 Times in 38,904 Posts
Mentioned: 2211 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolBRZ View Post
For those who didn't know, a remapped throttle is only one map out of the hundreds that make up a tune. It is not a tune in and of itself. It does not change the maximum horsepower or torque of the engine. It simply changes how much goes where, at which pedal percentage and at which rpm. The actual air to fuel ratios, exhaust gas re-circulation, and emission controls are unchanged. These still work in the same relation, regardless of which throttle map is loaded.
Since there are a lot of car reviewers and car buyers who aren't looking for, and in some cases, can't even drive a stick, I want to concentrate on solutions for the Automatic versions of the FT86.
As a sports car owner, I am offended by the fact that a stock Auto FT86 can't keep up with a much of anything, econocars, SUV's, or minivans, in stop and go traffic.
The reason is, the cars just don't have enough low-end torque to accelerate in the same gear they are in. The gas pedal must be pressed at least 20% to trigger a downshift, and then, in a lower gear, at higher revs, it has so much power that it catches up to traffic dangerously quickly.
The solution is to remap the throttle and change the Final Drive. The throttle needs to actually have less power up to 20%, then more power from 20% to 100%, in the lower rpm ranges below 3000 rpm's.
I drive an Auto. I have used a 4.10, a 4.30, and currently a 4.88 Final Drive in my car. I've been backing up my words with actions, by actually changing the throttle map, driving, changing, driving, and learning as I go. There are a lot of negative people who Can't Do Sh*t, that feel they need to tear down those who can. I use Open Source RomRaider tuning software so I can share what I learn with others, and learn from others who are willing to share.
The second you change anything from stock you have tuned. It is the very definition of the word. Any change you make does effect the emissions I am a total lose in how you could think otherwise. You have not "backed up" anything. You have yet to show us one single test result that proves any of your statements. If you can't keep up with traffic even on the stock settings then the car is not the issue.
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tcoat For This Useful Post:
mrg666 (11-07-2016), why? (11-07-2016)
Old 11-06-2016, 05:39 PM   #426
Ernest72
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
Location: Rockland county, NY
Posts: 677
Thanks: 22
Thanked 258 Times in 170 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrg666 View Post
I feel that you are really wasting your time with this car. If I may, I would suggest a Mustang GT Automatic, just touch the gas pedal and everyone will be behind you. I am not trolling or sarcastic, but I see that twins are not for you, that's all. And ... you're welcome
I agree with you and I would love a mustang GT in auto as my DD, except I am getting about 33-34 mpg with my BRZ and I drive about 79 a day. The mustang GT would be no where close to that mpg. I think the BRZ is just a blast to drive, especially in the turns and it's so light and nimble. I'll get a mustang GT one day when mpg does not matter to me.
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ernest72 For This Useful Post:
darthpnoy1984 (11-06-2016)
Old 11-06-2016, 11:23 PM   #427
darthpnoy1984
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Drives: 15 ZN6 Asphalt
Location: Carson CA
Posts: 441
Thanks: 338
Thanked 194 Times in 136 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest72 View Post
I agree with you and I would love a mustang GT in auto as my DD, except I am getting about 33-34 mpg with my BRZ and I drive about 79 a day. The mustang GT would be no where close to that mpg. I think the BRZ is just a blast to drive, especially in the turns and it's so light and nimble. I'll get a mustang GT one day when mpg does not matter to me.


I have a similar commute as you are underpowered please the kids unfortunately are too spoiled these days.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
2015 ZN6 DD AT
darthpnoy1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 07:22 AM   #428
fuddbutter
Potato Farmer
 
fuddbutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Drives: #SLOBRZ
Location: Melbourne Aust
Posts: 787
Thanks: 493
Thanked 247 Times in 152 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Without reading the 31 pages before me..

The review is pretty much spot on.
The car handles like shit out of the box, i have spent thousands to get mine to handle how it should.
It's a cheap car, and it's good for its price, but its nothing special.

it is easy to be biased cause you own one, I was... But after 30k (AUD) of work, it's starting to look good, and handle well.
And I have only done basic performance mods..
Another 10k and I could have a Harrop supercharger, and at 80k that it is now cost me, I could have just bought a M240i and been done with it.
__________________
Something something butter..
www.vic86brzclub.com
fuddbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 07:40 AM   #429
deejaylew
Senior Member
 
deejaylew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Drives: AP1 Honda S2000, Focus RS
Location: SC
Posts: 176
Thanks: 154
Thanked 132 Times in 79 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuddbutter View Post
Without reading the 31 pages before me..

The review is pretty much spot on.
The car handles like shit out of the box, i have spent thousands to get mine to handle how it should.
It's a cheap car, and it's good for its price, but its nothing special.

it is easy to be biased cause you own one, I was... But after 30k (AUD) of work, it's starting to look good, and handle well.
And I have only done basic performance mods..
Another 10k and I could have a Harrop supercharger, and at 80k that it is now cost me, I could have just bought a M240i and been done with it.
Is this real?
deejaylew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to deejaylew For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (11-08-2016), darthpnoy1984 (11-07-2016), Hoahao (11-07-2016), Mr.Impreza (11-07-2016), mrg666 (11-07-2016)
Old 11-07-2016, 10:12 AM   #430
Mr.Impreza
Mr.Fujitsubo
 
Mr.Impreza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives: 2018 STI
Location: Woodbridge
Posts: 1,716
Thanks: 4,049
Thanked 1,545 Times in 782 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuddbutter View Post
Without reading the 31 pages before me..

The review is pretty much spot on.
The car handles like shit out of the box, i have spent thousands to get mine to handle how it should.
It's a cheap car, and it's good for its price, but its nothing special.

it is easy to be biased cause you own one, I was... But after 30k (AUD) of work, it's starting to look good, and handle well.
And I have only done basic performance mods..
Another 10k and I could have a Harrop supercharger, and at 80k that it is now cost me, I could have just bought a M240i and been done with it.
Wow...you bought the wrong car buddy. If you have had to invest 30k already to just consider the car to be up to your standards...you should of not bought it

~

An no....buying a BMW won't allow you to be "done with it". BMW just gives you VIP access to the dealerships garage since you'll be seeing it monthly.

Trust me...I've owned BMW's
__________________
2018 Subaru WRX STI ~ The Weekend Car ~
2015 Toyota 86 ~ The Sold Car ~ Build Journal
OFT Stage 1 Tune Review

Mr.Impreza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Impreza For This Useful Post:
Alltezza (11-07-2016), DAEMANO (11-08-2016), deejaylew (11-07-2016), Import_Lexus (11-07-2016), mrg666 (11-07-2016), Rakshaa (11-07-2016), Taka (11-07-2016), Tcoat (11-07-2016), Yardjass (11-07-2016), Zaku (11-07-2016)
Old 11-07-2016, 10:18 AM   #431
Yardjass
Senior Member
 
Yardjass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Drives: '14 Monogram, '95 Miata, '90 300ZX
Location: VA
Posts: 378
Thanks: 499
Thanked 251 Times in 143 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
^^^ BMW is pure garbage.


Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolBRZ View Post
For those who didn't know, a remapped throttle is only one map out of the hundreds that make up a tune. It is not a tune in and of itself. It does not change the maximum horsepower or torque of the engine. It simply changes how much goes where, at which pedal percentage and at which rpm. The actual air to fuel ratios, exhaust gas re-circulation, and emission controls are unchanged. These still work in the same relation, regardless of which throttle map is loaded.
Since there are a lot of car reviewers and car buyers who aren't looking for, and in some cases, can't even drive a stick, I want to concentrate on solutions for the Automatic versions of the FT86.
As a sports car owner, I am offended by the fact that a stock Auto FT86 can't keep up with a much of anything, econocars, SUV's, or minivans, in stop and go traffic.
The reason is, the cars just don't have enough low-end torque to accelerate in the same gear they are in. The gas pedal must be pressed at least 20% to trigger a downshift, and then, in a lower gear, at higher revs, it has so much power that it catches up to traffic dangerously quickly.
The solution is to remap the throttle and change the Final Drive. The throttle needs to actually have less power up to 20%, then more power from 20% to 100%, in the lower rpm ranges below 3000 rpm's.
I drive an Auto. I have used a 4.10, a 4.30, and currently a 4.88 Final Drive in my car. I've been backing up my words with actions, by actually changing the throttle map, driving, changing, driving, and learning as I go. There are a lot of negative people who Can't Do Sh*t, that feel they need to tear down those who can. I use Open Source RomRaider tuning software so I can share what I learn with others, and learn from others who are willing to share.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
The second you change anything from stock you have tuned. It is the very definition of the word. Any change you make does effect the emissions I am a total lose in how you could think otherwise. You have not "backed up" anything. You have yet to show us one single test result that proves any of your statements. If you can't keep up with traffic even on the stock settings then the car is not the issue.

From a third party perspective, it is pretty clear what is going on here. I have no doubt that the ability exists to set up and tune this car to behave like much more of what is expected from a sports car. That said, it is not possible for other reasons.


The stock throttle map, shift points, changing the rear end ratio, and so on, are all set up to meet the EPA and CARB emission and fuel economy standards and conform to the drive cycle tests. Should this apply to a low volume sports car, many of which aren't even daily driven? Probably not, but the EPA has been over-reaching quite a bit lately, and the CARB regulations are basically a way for one state to circumvent the democratic process and force one state's excessive regulations on the entire country by way of leveraging economies of scale.


Basically what I'm saying is this is a regulatory problem, not a Toyota/Subaru problem. That, along with the fact that they want to advertise a higher fuel economy, are responsible for a lot of less than desirable automotive "innovations" that we've seen lately. Valve problems from cylinder deactivation systems, turbocharged motors on economy cars that will be expensive to fix in the long run, reduced engine longevity due to particulate filter systems, and my personal favorite, the disaster that is the CVT, are just a few that come to mind.


Unfortunately, this kind of thinking has made its way into the 86 as well, and this is what we are stuck with now. On the plus side, we are also getting positive improvements such as weight reduction, because of this. Also, it can be fixed with a tune, although it kind of sucks to lose your warranty over something so silly.
Yardjass is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yardjass For This Useful Post:
darthpnoy1984 (11-07-2016), why? (11-07-2016)
Old 11-07-2016, 10:45 AM   #432
Tcoat
He who smelt it...
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 2020 Hakone
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 60,464
Thanks: 53,415
Thanked 87,514 Times in 38,904 Posts
Mentioned: 2211 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardjass View Post
From a third party perspective, it is pretty clear what is going on here. I have no doubt that the ability exists to set up and tune this car to behave like much more of what is expected from a sports car. That said, it is not possible for other reasons.

Basically what I'm saying is this is a regulatory problem, not a Toyota/Subaru problem. .

I am glad that somebody get's it!
This is all that I have maintained all along! Unfortunately those regulatory requirements are indeed Toyota/Subaru's problem. Not so much as a "want" to advertise but a MUST meet situation. They do what they can to give the public what they want and still meet the requirements they are required to if they wish to export the vehicles.


The guys that tune or mod do not have their hands tied by the regulations and do pretty much as they please. End of story and a non debatable FACT.
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tcoat For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (11-08-2016), darthpnoy1984 (11-07-2016), why? (11-07-2016), Yardjass (11-09-2016)
Old 11-07-2016, 11:43 AM   #433
Guru Woodman
Senior Member
 
Guru Woodman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Drives: 2015 BRZ Sport Tech CWP
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 501
Thanks: 253
Thanked 611 Times in 259 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Impreza View Post
An no....buying a BMW won't allow you to be "done with it". BMW just gives you VIP access to the dealerships garage since you'll be seeing it monthly.

Trust me...I've owned BMW's
Me too. I they needed work.

__________________
Guru Woodman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Guru Woodman For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (11-07-2016), Ultramaroon (11-07-2016)
Old 11-07-2016, 11:49 AM   #434
Tcoat
He who smelt it...
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 2020 Hakone
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 60,464
Thanks: 53,415
Thanked 87,514 Times in 38,904 Posts
Mentioned: 2211 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru Woodman View Post
Me too. I they needed work.
In fairness there were still two Germanys when you got that!
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tcoat For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (11-08-2016), Guru Woodman (11-07-2016), Ultramaroon (11-07-2016)
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stupid? Or Cool? I'm too old to know FNCrazy Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) 27 08-03-2016 10:59 AM
Does This Look Stupid? FNCrazy Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) 29 07-24-2016 10:54 PM
Help stupid iphone Atticus808 Off-Topic Lounge 5 01-19-2015 10:53 PM
stupid question about brz andrewmay9 Subaru BRZ General Forum 55 05-17-2014 03:10 AM
stupid deer balla_08 Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) 11 12-14-2013 05:23 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.