follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 03-16-2016, 09:33 PM   #1
Packofcrows
hey you, yeah you <3

Drives: 2014 37J FR-S
Thanked 1,257 Times in 809 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Which fuse for winjet fog lights?

I just got my Winjet honey bees and was about to install when I realized I had no idea where to tap into for power. Now, there are many threads and I've reviewed them. I'm still confused.

This is what I've come to plan:

I want to use a piggyback circuit aka add a circuit aka double up a fuse to power up the fog lights from the interior. Here's a pic of what I'll be using from Google:

Now here's my problem. I want the fogs to only light up when I press the oem looking button. Only then. Which of these can I plug them to safely?

Would someone please circle the one that would best fit my need?

Also, I may only use and tap into 12V fuses right? I have the relay that came with it installed in the front.

Thanks!~

XOXOX

Pack n Sky~
Old 03-16-2016, 09:41 PM   #2
NahumCC

Drives: 2013 FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
If you already have the switch plugged into the harness just buy a tap and go straight to the source for the OEM power feed which is in the front turn signal harness.. You'll then need to wire up a ground but thats simple.

Take a look at the OEM fog light install pdf located here starting at step 6: http://toyotaparts.sparkstoyota.com/...-18130inst.pdf

It'll be pin 3's wire that you want to tap.

On the left hand side it'll be whichever one isn't black, red, or white with red stripe.
On the right hand side it'll be whichever one isn't black, white, or gray.

And for those wondering why I don't just say what the color is the colored FR-S wiring diagram you can get on here doesn't have the fog light circuit in it and you can't use the BRZ presumably because it might have a different connector there.
NahumCC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NahumCC For This Useful Post:
Packofcrows (03-16-2016)
Old 03-17-2016, 01:33 AM   #3
Packofcrows
hey you, yeah you <3

Thanks @NahumCC, but i'd rather use a piggyback fuse. I just have no idea where to plug it in to....
Old 03-17-2016, 01:53 AM   #4
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
I'd start with the 10A DRL slot.

That should be hot whenever your car is running.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 02:56 AM   #5
Packofcrows
hey you, yeah you <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post

humfrz

Does it stay with power even when normal beams are on? I thought DRLs were high beams at a smaller power level?

Im thinking p/point 1 or 2? I read somewhere those are cigar outlets?
Old 03-17-2016, 03:01 AM   #6
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packofcrows View Post
I just got my Winjet honey bees and was about to install when I realized I had no idea where to tap into for power. Now, there are many threads and I've reviewed them. I'm still confused.

This is what I've come to plan:

I want to use a piggyback circuit aka add a circuit aka double up a fuse to power up the fog lights from the interior. Here's a pic of what I'll be using from Google:

Now here's my problem. I want the fogs to only light up when I press the oem looking button. Only then. Which of these can I plug them to safely?

Would someone please circle the one that would best fit my need?

Also, I may only use and tap into 12V fuses right? I have the relay that came with it installed in the front.

Thanks!~

XOXOX

Pack n Sky~
Quote:
Thanks @NahumCC, but i'd rather use a piggyback fuse. I just have no idea where to plug it in to....
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post

humfrz

DING DING DING!!!

10 AMP DRL fuse is correct:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12758

I only know that's right is because people have been tapping it for dashcam setups like me, and using the wires in the headliner normally used for auto dimming mirrors for radar detectors as I have done

Also if using the engine bay fuse box there's an empty slot that can literally be used for accessory power no need to use a currently occupied slot:

*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
Packofcrows (03-17-2016)
Old 03-17-2016, 03:10 AM   #7
Packofcrows
hey you, yeah you <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
DING DING DING!!!

10 AMP DRL fuse is correct:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12758

I only know that's right is because people have been tapping it for dashcam setups like me, and using the wires in the headliner normally used for auto dimming mirrors for radar detectors as I have done

Also if using the engine bay fuse box there's an empty slot that can literally be used for accessory power no need to use a currently occupied slot:

Thanks! I guess to wire using eng bay fuse box id have to use the extra wire from winjet and pull the red acc hot wire to the bay, correct?
Old 03-17-2016, 01:22 PM   #8
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
Thanks! I guess to wire using eng bay fuse box id have to use the extra wire from winjet and pull the red acc hot wire to the bay, correct?

Correct, also if I'm correct in thinking there are some missing fuses on the FR-S vs the BR-Z if you have a multimeter to poke around for you can put that red hot wire in other slots.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
Old 03-17-2016, 07:30 PM   #9
Packofcrows
hey you, yeah you <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
Correct, also if I'm correct in thinking there are some missing fuses on the FR-S vs the BR-Z if you have a multimeter to poke around for you can put that red hot wire in other slots.

Thank you for your kindness and help! Pack cut his hands installing the fog lights, but they got done. He refused to pull off the bumper, but after 3hrs finally got them working!

Here's what we ended up doing for the switch power, since, the piggyback adapter did not fit. The ft86 fuses are low profile. (Mini low profile)

Ours is wired to 10amp fuse for DRL's.

I disagree with Pack on choosing to do it this way, but meh.

~Sky
Old 03-17-2016, 07:41 PM   #10
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
Thank you for your kindness and help! Pack cut his hands installing the fog lights, but they got done. He refused to pull off the bumper, but after 3hrs finally got them working!

Here's what we ended up doing for the switch power, since, the piggyback adapter did not fit. The ft86 fuses are low profile. (Mini low profile)

Ours is wired to 10amp fuse for DRL's.

I disagree with Pack on choosing to do it this way, but meh.

~Sky

Understandable, also it's super good idea of doing it without taking that bumper off, I've help a friend do it with the diode dynamics ones, you just undo a bolt and gotta reach up in that space cutting your hands

If you can get a mini low profile fuse spade that would be best, having some protection for the fogs in the form of a fuse is a good idea.
Old 03-17-2016, 11:00 PM   #11
Packofcrows
hey you, yeah you <3

Thanks! We're hoping to hardwire it in the future, but for now we're content.
FRSBRZGT86FAN (03-18-2016)