follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 06-09-2014, 06:29 PM   #57
longhornjoe

Drives: '13 Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike the snake View Post
I posted a few times in the crickets thread about adding 2 stroke oil.

I wonder if Castor oil might work even better.

It is sometimes used as 2 stroke oil (Blendzall) and also as an octane booster (Blendzall octane booster is 1/2 castor).

Castor oil has some very special properties.

At the dilution ratios we are talking about, even a non-ashless oil won't hurt anything at all I'm sure.
There might be something to castor oil.

I had my HPFP replaced at a Scion dealer about 2k miles ago and up until about 2 weeks ago was cricket-free. When it started to re-appear the chirping wasn't as bad as with the factory pump before the replacement.

I remembered MTS's post here and decided to give Blendzall "Power Booster"/Octane Booster a try which is reportedly 1/2 castor. I re-fueled with Shell 93 octane and mixed in the Blendzall @ 2 oz. per gallon. After the 5 mile drive home, no more crickets--and none at all until after my next re-fuel (using same Shell 93). Since the refuel the crickets are back--not any better or worse than before the Blendall.

Last edited by longhornjoe; 06-09-2014 at 06:30 PM. Reason: quotes
longhornjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 04:42 AM   #58
l0aded
Addicted

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Currently on my third fill up with using 2oz per tank (~10 gallons) of Walmart's TCW3, ashless synthetic. On all 3 of my fillups I have the same experience as rice_classic; the crickets come occasionally but are barely audible, almost as if they are dying. I might try not using it on the next fillup and see if I can get away with every other fillup incase this stuff ends up being terrible for the engine.

Besides the crickets shutting up I have not noticed any other side effects in mpg or drive.
Phantom Supercharger | Tsudo Cat-Back Exhaust | K&N Drop-in Filter | Winjet Headlights | Opti-coated | 35/20 Tint | Radar/Dashcam Hardwired | OFT tuned | OEM Audio+ Reference 400CF | Uber Sound Deadened | LED DRL strips | JPM Coachworks Kneepads
l0aded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:19 PM   #59
JFox

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
I'm on my third tank of 640:1 ratio of Walmart SuperTech TCW3 (that's 2oz per 10gal). For my purposes, I use a 2oz (~60cc) syringe and draw the oil out of a bottle and add a little bit every 2 gallons during the fillup (just to help it mix better).

The first time I added the oil I saw a pretty significant improvement - not necessarily in the cricket noise, but definitely in the butt-dyno and sound factor. When I added the TCW3 to the gas, it seemed like the engine really liked it. Valve/injector noise was reduced by a fair amount, and the high-RPM, what I call "racket", was reduced as well. It's still loud, don't get me wrong, it just sounds a lot healthier.

However, the crickets have come back with a vengeance...it may be due to a number of factors (mileage, for one...since I just rolled over 3k).

See here:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67807

DO NOT...I repeat...DO NOT put the Synthetic/Semi-Synthetic 2-stroke oil in your car. Baaaaaad idea. There's no reason to do it, as it offers no additional benefit in our application, and it's more expensive. In addition, there's a good chance it could gum stuff up, since some of the oil does not burn completely away. It's a-whole-nother animal, and there's hardly any empirical data on it.
JFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:36 PM   #60
Terrapin77

Drives: 2013 Argento FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I've been using TCW3 for the past 8 months. I haven't had crickets since. I put in 50 ml at every fill up.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk
Terrapin77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 02:54 AM   #61
edeekeos

Drives: 2014 Pearl BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Filled up with 93 from my local Super Test, 11 gallons on the dot, and added 60ml of SuperTech TCW3 for the first time. ~10mi in, and Im fairly certain I am beginning to notice the difference. It seems as though the engine has quieted down quite a bit, all throughout the rev range. The crickets are still present, however, even they seem to be less noticeable. Hopefully this stuff is as good as everyone is claiming. I know I'm gonna try it out for the next couple of tanks, and see how it goes. Might end up buying it in bulk, we'll see....

| OFT & Stg2 e85 Tune | Perrin Intake Tube & High Flow Filter | Perrin Lightweight Crank Pully |
| Tomei UEL Header/Overpipe | HFC/Perrin Catback | Tom's Tails | Enkei RPF1's | RS*R SuperDowns |
edeekeos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 03:57 AM   #62
sierra

Drives: Skoda Yeti DSG diesel 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by edeekeos View Post
Filled up with 93 from my local Super Test, 11 gallons on the dot, and added 60ml of SuperTech TCW3 for the first time. ~10mi in, and Im fairly certain I am beginning to notice the difference. It seems as though the engine has quieted down quite a bit, all throughout the rev range. The crickets are still present, however, even they seem to be less noticeable. Hopefully this stuff is as good as everyone is claiming. I know I'm gonna try it out for the next couple of tanks, and see how it goes. Might end up buying it in bulk, we'll see....
60ml for the first fill in the 50L[50,000ml] tank is 1:833
You could go to 1:500 which would have been 100ml and that might be enough to finally shut them up. 8ml per [US]gallon is close enough.
I just look at the trip and do a quick mental calculation before I fill up.

My diesel ratio is 1:200 and I average about 6.2L/100km.
If the trip is somewhere around 600km I know it will take less than 40L and chuck in 200mls, 750km = 250mls.

You could do the same. Say 30mpg and 300miles on the trip = 10g so add 80ml. Then simplify it to 1/4 of the miles = 75ml
sierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:56 AM   #63
w00t692

Drives: 2008 Civic Si
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le86 View Post
And you know this for a fact? Do you have any evidence or sources to back up your claims? Not trying to be a **** but I want to see some hard evidence before concluding that 2 stroke is safe for our cars.

I was merely pointing out potential hazards that adding 2t could pose to our cars.
I know this is an old post, but i don't think this dude has ever seen tcw3 2 stroke oil before. It's very thin.
w00t692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 11:52 AM   #64
sierra

Quote:
Originally Posted by w00t692 View Post
I know this is an old post, but i don't think this dude has ever seen tcw3 2 stroke oil before. It's very thin.
Think of all the positive posts and cross references to numerous forums where there are hundreds, probably thousands, of people posting their results, yet there are always those who think they are deluded or lying for some reason?

Company results that boost sales should be viewed with scepticism because the motivation is money but in this case there is no financial motivation and it's been done for many years.
Old 06-13-2014, 03:52 PM   #65
edeekeos

Garage
Quote:
Just wanted to update this real fast. Today the engine is VERY quiet, it's the quietest it has sounded since I've owned it. I started it today before work, and could not believe how smooth it sounded! No tick, no tack, no rattle, or ruckus. Just pure bliss. Crickets were completely gone as well. The engine sounds great, all the way to redline. It's probably placebo, but my buttdyno is telling me it even feels 'peppier.'

This stuff seems almost too good to be true..

| OFT & Stg2 e85 Tune | Perrin Intake Tube & High Flow Filter | Perrin Lightweight Crank Pully |
| Tomei UEL Header/Overpipe | HFC/Perrin Catback | Tom's Tails | Enkei RPF1's | RS*R SuperDowns |
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to edeekeos For This Useful Post:
longhornjoe (06-13-2014), sierra (06-13-2014)
Old 06-14-2014, 02:37 AM   #66
JFox

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Quote:
Just wanted to update this real fast. Today the engine is VERY quiet, it's the quietest it has sounded since I've owned it. I started it today before work, and could not believe how smooth it sounded! No tick, no tack, no rattle, or ruckus. Just pure bliss. Crickets were completely gone as well. The engine sounds great, all the way to redline. It's probably placebo, but my buttdyno is telling me it even feels 'peppier.'

This stuff seems almost too good to be true..
I experienced the same thing.

My crickets got louder but I think it's either A) the gas I put in it has more ethanol than usual and/or B) due to the increased mileage. I did just change the oil to ENEOS 0W-20 but I highly doubt that has anything to do with it, since it seems most people report changing the oil from the factory fill to something else made the crickets go away.
JFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 02:46 AM   #67
w00t692

Drives: 2008 Civic Si
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra View Post
Think of all the positive posts and cross references to numerous forums where there are hundreds, probably thousands, of people posting their results, yet there are always those who think they are deluded or lying for some reason?

Company results that boost sales should be viewed with scepticism because the motivation is money but in this case there is no financial motivation and it's been done for many years.
I think you're confused. I've used tcw3 2 stroke oil in my civic si for 2 years lol.
w00t692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 02:59 AM   #68
edeekeos

Garage
I want so bad to tell my other brz/frs friends about this(the ones who don't frequent this forum), but I just KNOW they will call me crazy. I put some in my 2012 Legacy today, and it exhibited the same results. It's magic..

Old 06-14-2014, 04:11 AM   #69
sierra

Quote:
Originally Posted by w00t692 View Post
I think you're confused. I've used tcw3 2 stroke oil in my civic si for 2 years lol.
No, I was agreeing with you about the post you mentioned. How people are still so sceptical as if it's a myth.
It just got a bit convoluted but I thought, 'what the hell, you'll understand'.
Old 06-14-2014, 04:27 AM   #70
sierra

Quote:
I want so bad to tell my other brz/frs friends about this(the ones who don't frequent this forum), but I just KNOW they will call me crazy. I put some in my 2012 Legacy today, and it exhibited the same results. It's magic..
If you have a mate with a diesel get them try it at 1:200 ratio. It can be
even more impressive. Much quieter, smoother, less or no smoke, more grunt and better mpg. Lots of reports of high oil consumption being reduced or stopped, theory is it cleans out the piston ring grooves and frees up the rings. On top of that it reduces emissions.
I'm an addict!