follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 01-18-2013, 05:04 PM   #57
dem00n
Member of the year - 2016

Drives: Scion FRS
Thanked 2,427 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Can't really make any judgement, the concept looks meh but so did the concept for the FRS.
dem00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:06 PM   #58
Asterisked Accolade
Pedals over Paddles.

Drives: Celica GT-S | 89 Supra | 07' Accent
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I remember seeing these this car along side a different GM concept and they(GM) were asking people which they preferred. Personally, i really like the styling as is. I'd be excited to see this car come out. I want as many small RWD sports cars as possible to choose from.

2002 Celica GT-S Track Car | 1989 Supra Track Car | 2007 Hyundai Accent AutoX | 2003 Cadillac CTS Daily
Asterisked Accolade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:26 PM   #59
brewksy

Drives: 2011 Subaru STI
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
The Sky RL/GXP are both great cars - they both class well in Solo classes apparently, due to their good power-to-weight and (assumed)low COG. Sort of the same genetics that make the BRZ popular. However, it's also got absolutely no space for anything besides a pocketwatch and GM had ridiculous pension payments to be made from a bloated product line. And that'll kill any car.

This concept, on the other hand, will probably have more room for storage and be more likely to be profitable at the new GM. The problem now is that they seemed to have thrown out the low COG concept for this ungainly-looking design. It'll probably beat the BRZ/FRS in power/weight ratios but absolutely miss the mark when it comes to fun-to-drive factor.

Like many things produced by GM, I imagine they will target the quarter-mile time and track speed (maybe even throw some thick summer tires on it) to ensure it wins a few magazine races and sell as many they can to the average reader.

Don't get me wrong, I'll take it for a test drive when it comes out, but having driven/owned GM cars before, I'm not expecting much at all.
brewksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:21 PM   #60
fasteddy

Drives: BRZ
Sure, GM may do this. But by the time they get it to market there will be other new models that will be way better aside from the twins. GM is also guaranteed to screw up something like this anyways. Look at the reviews of the ATS and new buicks, they still cannot make a smooth shifting manual tranny.

That concept is just butt ugly.

I was an all GM guy until I bought my BRZ. My last car was a 2005 GTO. That was a great GM car, largely because it was developed and built by Holden, not GM.

I would like to see GM succeed with a fun car other than the Vette, I just don't think they are capable. The Camaro took how many years to get to market? And then it was a bloated, heavy ergonomic mess.

Pat
fasteddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:02 PM   #61
Skyhound

Drives: Jaguar X-Type
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robosteve View Post
Its funny that I'm starting to see a connection with iphones.
D) no one can beat it so companies start copying the exact package.
Off-topic, but you should probably change that to "other companies make a better product, but an uneducated consumer base still continues to buy the obsolete machine" :P

BACK ON TOPIC:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentAngel View Post
Not trying to be offensive but typically american cars aren't made to handle corners..
Quote:
Originally Posted by VSGTS14 View Post
lol at GM. they can try. but won't succeed. this kind of market is dominated by imports. they need to stick with the muscle car market.
*sigh* The usual domestic hate coupled by misguided notions that American cars only go straight. :/ While that has been largely true for most of the US's car history, GM especially has been trying to change how people view American cars. The CTS-V and Corvette ZR1 have been reviewed to be just as able in the corners as most other European Halo Cars. The presenters of BBC's Top Gear especially have exclaimed how they've almost surpassed European marques.

The Corvette ZR1 especially can be considered the FR-S/BRZ/GT86 of the Super Car world, because it's fairly simplistic, is actually available with a proper manual stick, and much less expensive that other foreign cars while still being faster than them. The whole "leaf springs" thing is a misconception of how Top Gear reviewed the Corvette C5, not the current C6 which uses double wishbone suspension. Even so, the choice of using leaf springs and other older technologies was to cut the cost while engineering them in a way that they could still provide impressive cornering. The C7 is probably going to be the final nail in the coffin, since it's slated to be made entirely of carbon fiber.

All of these things together, point to this new Chevy being an able competitor against the twins. It all just depends on how much effort they put into it, because they do have the potential to build something to surpass the twins.
Skyhound is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Skyhound For This Useful Post:
Robosteve (01-18-2013)
Old 01-18-2013, 07:03 PM   #62
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Anyone talking shit about transverse leaf springs needs to go the our Car Related Off Topic forum and get educated in the C7 Corvette thread.

The Code 130R COULD be good if GM doesn't muck it up in the usual fashion. Especially with a high output V6 or boosted L4 in SS trim, if offered.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:12 PM   #63
86BRZ

Drives: BRZ Limited arrived on 9/1/2012
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Mini water bed?
86BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:12 PM   #64
just86

Drives: 2013 genesis rspec
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
if it look just like that concept maybe it will have a chance, otherwise no dice
just86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:05 PM   #65
jmaryt
Banned

Drives: 2012 honda civic ex
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by russv View Post
even IF they was to do it,i wouldn't buy it! wouldn't trust the quality.
just sayin'
jmaryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:09 PM   #66
jmaryt
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by russv View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottopilot View Post
A parts bin car is exactly how GM can fail at this.

It's exactly what makes the FR-S so great, everything was designed from the ground up for ONE car.
this is true,and (g.m.) has a long history of doin' parts bin cars.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:15 PM   #67
jmaryt
Banned

Quote:
The point of making a FR-S contender only has to meet 2 requirement, cheap and light RWD. Anything else wouldn't really be a contender, chevrolet knows how to make great performance cars, the camaro and corvette are great examples.

Japanese have a great legacy behind, domestic have their muscle car legacy..and it still shows today in their lineups.

Can anyone name a great light RWD car that a domestic manufacturer made? I'm thinking fiero. Was it great? I never drove one.
you are correct! the fiero,BUT only in it's last year of production in 1988!
chevy 'shoehorned" a buick v-6 engine in it,and called it the fiero "formula"
i owned one,and it was a very nice car that handled well,and had some punch too! it had a "getrag" (german) 6-speed box in it,and shifted very smoothly.
the car really did NOT sell well,and (g.m) killed it in '88
Old 01-18-2013, 10:18 PM   #68
jmaryt
Banned

Quote:
The point of making a FR-S contender only has to meet 2 requirement, cheap and light RWD. Anything else wouldn't really be a contender, chevrolet knows how to make great performance cars, the camaro and corvette are great examples.

Japanese have a great legacy behind, domestic have their muscle car legacy..and it still shows today in their lineups.

Can anyone name a great light RWD car that a domestic manufacturer made? I'm thinking fiero. Was it great? I never drove one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly2low View Post
I will take "small" and "light weight" from GM with a grain of salt. They only light car for the class that they have is Corvette.

The Camaro-like high belt line certainly doesn't invoke the image of lightweightness.
camaro's a "pig" heavy as* car ,but with tons of grunt. steering sucks,and it wallows in turns due to the weight.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:22 PM   #69
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Drives: Subaru Libird
Thanked 2,718 Times in 1,079 Posts
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
It will have m0Ar power than the FR-S. Because American.

It will have a less pure driving experience than the FR-S. Because built by committee.

I called it.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:22 PM   #70
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
this concept is almost a year old if my memory serves me
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fatoni For This Useful Post:
Allch Chcar (01-18-2013)