follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 11-10-2012, 01:35 AM   #29
White Shadow
Banned

Drives: 12,000 miles per year
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewksy View Post
All of those show RPMs on the screen as people are driving around various tracks. Some go below 4K in corners on some tracks, while others stay much higher in the RPM range. But it depends on the track, the person, the car... none of these variables are the same on any different day. I just don't see how arguing the technicalities of HP/Torque as making the discussion about what's "best" any more relevant.
Interesting that you used all track videos in your post. Which brings me back to my point----- On the street, most people spend far more time in the lower RPM range (or even mid range) than they do in the high RPM range (or at/near redline). For that reason alone, I value low-end torque far more than high-end horsepower. For a car that is only driven on a track, I probably wouldn't feel the same way.
White Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:29 AM   #30
brewksy

Drives: 2011 Subaru STI
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Shadow View Post
Interesting that you used all track videos in your post. Which brings me back to my point----- On the street, most people spend far more time in the lower RPM range (or even mid range) than they do in the high RPM range (or at/near redline). For that reason alone, I value low-end torque far more than high-end horsepower. For a car that is only driven on a track, I probably wouldn't feel the same way.
Yeah, I only used the anecdotal "how my wife drives" story without a video. I don't think she'd allow me to video her driving...
brewksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:47 AM   #31
einzlr

Drives: several
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostyman View Post
Excellent read. Nothing beats a face full of math on a lunch break!
You betcha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem00n View Post
It's articles like these that make me wish more Colleges offered automotive engineering, though i guess i'll stick with Electrical Engineering.
It's all rooted in mechanical engineering; once you learn that it's easy to understand automotive applications. Get a mechanical engineering book (or find a tutorial online) and be prepared to marvel at the parallels in the equations to the ones you're familiar with from EE

"Simplicate and add lightness." - Gordon Hooton
einzlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:09 AM   #32
Gardus@Supersprint
Banned

Drives: Clio TCE
I think this thread should be about if it's better to have a good power delivery, where the car has "meat" at any rpm, or if it's better to sacrifice a bit of power in the low range, to keep the best let's say after 4500 rpm, when you drive fast.

Basically it's a question if you want to go with a big turbo or more extreme cams, a bigger exhaust and a direct intake, to get the best on track or a fast B-road, or if you prefer a more balanced setup that keeps you free to do an overtake without downshifting 3 gears to pass that lorry...
Gardus@Supersprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:38 AM   #33
White Shadow
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardus@Supersprint View Post
I think this thread should be about if it's better to have a good power delivery, where the car has "meat" at any rpm, or if it's better to sacrifice a bit of power in the low range, to keep the best let's say after 4500 rpm, when you drive fast.

Basically it's a question if you want to go with a big turbo or more extreme cams, a bigger exhaust and a direct intake, to get the best on track or a fast B-road, or if you prefer a more balanced setup that keeps you free to do an overtake without downshifting 3 gears to pass that lorry...
That is what this thread is about. The only difference here is that it's an attempt to draw a clear line between torque & horsepower, which is difficult simply because one is the product of the other. So I don't think it makes much sense for anyone to say that it's all about the torque or all about the horsepower because both "work together" to propel the car. As for passing that lorry, I like to be able to do it without downshifting at all.....and that takes torque!

Last edited by White Shadow; 11-10-2012 at 11:43 PM.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:18 AM   #34
Coheed

Drives: DGM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Instead of saying "I like torque", it is more accurate to claim "I like low-end horsepower."

I prefer the rush of a linear powerband, to the running-out-of-steam feeling of an engine that peaks too quickly.

Would the FT86 be as great a car if the power output looked like this?

Lots of mid range torque and HP.

Last edited by Coheed; 11-10-2012 at 11:33 AM.
Coheed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:43 PM   #35
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Lets be realistic here. For a street driven car, big torque is much more useful than big HP. Why? Simple--we spend little of our time at or near redline. Much more time is spent in the lower RPM range where torque is more important.

Personally, I have no interest in a car that has a low torque output and makes maximum HP way up in the rev range. That might be fun on a track, but not so much on the street.
I redline everyday, multiple times a day. I love spinning out little 4 bangers. That doesn't at all mean I don't have a torque monster V8 in my future.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:52 PM   #36
madfast

Drives: 2010 Evo X MR-T
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
low tq/high rpm engines have to make use of gearing, but lets not forget that in real life there is a practical limit to gearing.
madfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:42 PM   #37
White Shadow
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
I redline everyday, multiple times a day. I love spinning out little 4 bangers. That doesn't at all mean I don't have a torque monster V8 in my future.
I believe you. But even so, you still spend far more time well under redline than you do at or near redline.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:09 AM   #38
A5D5TRYR

Drives: FR-S 6MT Ultramarine (BeeDrill)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by arghx7 View Post
For those of you with some fuzzy understanding of calculus, think of the power curve as sort of like the 2nd derivative of the torque curve.
Actually I think it would be the other way around.

For example, velocity is the derivative of position. If position changes as a square function (p = x^2) then the velocity will change as a linear function and if position changes as a linear function than the velocity is constant.

In your examples the torque was flat for a good portion of the graph so this would be the constant while the horsepower climbs. It isn't really this simple though cause horsepower IS a function of torque, so in that respect it's dependent on it. Hmm, the further I go the more I think I should've just kept it to myself. Haha, probably just made myself sound stupid trying to correct you.
A5D5TRYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:29 AM   #39
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Quote:
I believe you. But even so, you still spend far more time well under redline than you do at or near redline.
Absolutely. The car spends it's life under 4-5k. I itch for low end torque, but that's not something low displacement four bangers are good at.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:37 AM   #40
Coheed

Drives: DGM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
What is more enjoyable to drive: A high displacement Harley, or a low displacement high revving sport bike?

Of course, if low end big TQ #s are your thing, swap in a diesel. :P
Coheed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:39 AM   #41
White Shadow
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
Absolutely. The car spends it's life under 4-5k. I itch for low end torque, but that's not something low displacement four bangers are good at.
Unless they got a small turbo on them! Trust me.... I got a 2.0T that makes 260 lb.ft at just 1500 RPM!
Old 11-11-2012, 02:11 AM   #42
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

FI equals the playing field for sure.