follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
BT, dpfarr

Old 06-13-2017, 03:46 PM   #2339
armstrom

Drives: none
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86fun View Post
Mine does this, the battery will be dead in two weeks if I don't charge it or drive a long distance. It's definitely the IC water pump too, I can see the fluid turning in the reservoir. I wondered if it had anything to do with the FOB and keyless entry crap, or maybe the LED lighting on the anniversary edition I have. No clue, but a pain in the ass to keep it on a trickle charger all the time.
The Edelbrock kit taps the EVAP solenoid harness for switched power to drive the water pump relay. I don't have specifics but it is not uncommon for emissions controls to be active at any time, even with the car off. My wife had a leased Scion IQ that I would sometimes hear whirring away hours after it had been turned off. It's possible that some other system that shares the same circuit as the evap solenoid is being turned on. Would have to take a look at the wiring diagram.

Or, you could have a problem with a sticky solenoid.
-Matt
armstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 06:54 PM   #2340
FuzzyFunk

Drives: FRS Monogram
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
This may have been addressed before, but has anyone or Edelbrock state what this sc is capable of with a built motor, e85, smaller pulley, headers, etc. ? What numbers are we looking at?
FuzzyFunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:09 PM   #2341
Alltezza

Drives: WRB Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyFunk View Post
This may have been addressed before, but has anyone or Edelbrock state what this sc is capable of with a built motor, e85, smaller pulley, headers, etc. ? What numbers are we looking at?
420whp, some youtuber got his engine built with E85 and a smaller pulley tuned by Delicious Tuning
Alltezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:54 PM   #2342
armstrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltezza View Post
420whp, some youtuber got his engine built with E85 and a smaller pulley tuned by Delicious Tuning
Yeah, I still don't get that build. He kept the stock compression ratio so he can't make any significant power on pump gas due to having to retard the crap out of the timing. If it were me I would have built to 10:1 CR and installed the smallest pulley possible. Different strokes I guess...
-Matt
Old 06-13-2017, 11:36 PM   #2343
Icecreamtruk

Drives: Track preped NA FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by armstrom View Post
Yeah, I still don't get that build. He kept the stock compression ratio so he can't make any significant power on pump gas due to having to retard the crap out of the timing. If it were me I would have built to 10:1 CR and installed the smallest pulley possible. Different strokes I guess...
-Matt
You dont, thats why you use E85, because it has a lot more resistance to knock (detonation). Lowering the compression ratio would lower power, as the supercharger itself is pretty maxed out with the smaller pulley. You would lower the compression for a turbo build, where you can just put a bigger turbo and build more boost.
Icecreamtruk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Icecreamtruk For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (06-14-2017)
Old 06-13-2017, 11:56 PM   #2344
Alltezza

Drives: WRB Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
-Matt
I'm unsure, what his thought process was. Tbh I don't think he really had a thought process all he wanted was a "built" engine to support and join the 400whp+ club. And he got what he wanted.
Alltezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 01:20 AM   #2345
armstrom

I'm fully aware of the role E85 is playing here. However availability in most places is spotty at best. Boost and compression make power in different ways. A high compression ratio increases the thermal efficiency of the combustion process but you are still ultimately limited by the mass of oxygen (and fuel) the engine can ingest. Forced induction raises the cylinder pressures like increasing CR does, but also greatly increases the available oxygen mass to be burned. Yes, in an ideal world you would have the best of both, but that means you must have high octane fuel to resist preignition at such high cylinder pressures and temperatures. If a compromise must be made to run on pump gas then "pound for pound" you'll make more power safely with higher boost and lower compression.
You can only retard timing so far without skyrocketing EGTs.... Of course, you can fiddle around with valve timing to reduce cylinder pressure also, but why not just build the engine with a better balanced CR to start with?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to armstrom For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (06-14-2017), Lantana frs (06-14-2017)
Old 06-14-2017, 01:30 AM   #2346
armstrom

OK, I went and read the post about his setup... He is already on the smallest pulley so I guess if the goal was only big power on E85 the I suppose I get it... But only making 280 HP on pump gas is a bit disappointing. If you have consistent access to E85 then you can treat that power level as a fallback. I would still trade some of that max power on E85 for some more power on pump gas, but that's purely a personal preference. I don't like to run my cars on the ragged edge all the time.

The Following User Says Thank You to armstrom For This Useful Post:
Icecreamtruk (06-14-2017)
Old 06-14-2017, 03:51 PM   #2347
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
OK, I went and read the post about his setup... He is already on the smallest pulley so I guess if the goal was only big power on E85 the I suppose I get it... But only making 280 HP on pump gas is a bit disappointing. If you have consistent access to E85 then you can treat that power level as a fallback. I would still trade some of that max power on E85 for some more power on pump gas, but that's purely a personal preference. I don't like to run my cars on the ragged edge all the time.

280whp on that dyno is no joke.

A stock BRZ dynos 150ish on it. I'll let you do the math.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 07:01 PM   #2348
Lunatic

Drives: 2015 Raven FRS
Thanked 1,056 Times in 488 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
420HP is nice, but why? I know people love to quote numbers but in reality, my Edelbrock supercharged car makes 323 at the wheels on e-85. That is more than 200 tread wear 255's can handle off the line. 0 to 60 in 4.9. On the track it's a nice balance between power, traction, and my driving skills. I really see no need for more power my self.
Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lunatic For This Useful Post:
Bfranklyn86 (06-16-2017), funwheeldrive (06-14-2017), Lantana frs (06-14-2017), strat61caster (06-14-2017)
Old 06-14-2017, 08:16 PM   #2349
armstrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
280whp on that dyno is no joke.

A stock BRZ dynos 150ish on it. I'll let you do the math.
I'm not saying 280WHP isn't a nice number. But when you consider the car is making ~420WHP at the same boost level on E85. That's a big gap for no increase i boost. To me that means the pump gas tune is leaving a LOT on the table just so it can survive the high compression ratio. I would rather have a car that makes mid 300s on pump and maybe high 300s on E85. Again, just a personal preference. Of course, E85 is nearly impossible to find near me so that might have some influence on what I would do with my own car
-Matt
Old 06-14-2017, 09:43 PM   #2350
Lantana frs

Drives: 13 frs red
E85 allows the cr to be used. Pump gas makes tuning a compromise.
Lantana frs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 09:53 PM   #2351
armstrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantana frs View Post
E85 allows the cr to be used. Pump gas makes tuning a compromise.
Yep, that's pretty much my point. Clearly E85 is the superior fuel for making power. It lets you "squeeze the balloon at both ends" so to speak. But for many people the "compromise" of pump gas is all that is available to them. With a lower compression ratio you wouldn't have to sacrifice so much power to run on pump gas. Yes, you give up some of your maximum power potential when running on E85 but your power doesn't fall off a cliff just because you can't find corn juice somewhere. I mean, at some point when does E85 become a compromise? If I could just run on pure alcohol I could squeeze out even more power, or how about nitromethane? At some point everything is a compromise.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:21 PM   #2352
Silverfox

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ, Edelbrock SC, E-85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyFunk View Post

I believe TJ hunt did this and posted to you tube. Unfortunately you have to deal with that, but the data should still be visible with the volume Muted 👍🏼

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Silverfox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Silverfox For This Useful Post:
Timmy_Jones (06-27-2017)