follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 06-16-2020, 11:57 AM   #15
Fullcoverage

Drives: 2015 BrZ limited pearl white
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks ill talk a look. Are you happy with the sound? Has to be alot better than stock right??

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsageJJ View Post
If I can add my two cents’ worth of comments: Back in November, I swapped out the factory amp and the eight speakers in my 86. I used an AudioControl LC7i to send the audio signals to two Kenwood amps (one is a mono amp for my 12-inch sub in a ported box, while the other is a four-channel amp) and some JBL aftermarket speakers. My writeup can be found here: https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137706

Let me know if you have any questions. Good luck!
Fullcoverage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 02:09 PM   #16
OsageJJ

Drives: 2019 Toyota 86 TRD SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullcoverage View Post
Thanks ill talk a look. Are you happy with the sound? Has to be alot better than stock right??
The sound is a LOT better now. Toyota did a weird thing with their setup, in that they dropped the ohms down to 2 for the door woofers to get a little more punch out of that OEM amp in the trunk. I kept the stock headunit (Pioneer AVH-2558zt), but because it doesn't have RCA jacks, I ended up running the speaker output through a 9-wire "speed wire" under the center console to my AudioControl LC7i, which is mounted in the trunk. Then I ran the LC7i's output to two Kenwood amps that are also in the trunk. I used 14-gauge speaker wire to bypass the stock speaker harnesses and wiring.

In addition to that, I added a SiriusXM Commander Touch receiver and wired it in through the AUX port to get satellite radio. That receiver is mounted above and to the left of my rearview mirror.

Bottom line: Lots more volume, lots more "thump," and no distortion. I'm "Rockin' Down the Highway," as the Doobie Brothers song goes!

Last edited by OsageJJ; 06-16-2020 at 05:28 PM. Reason: additional information
OsageJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 04:51 PM   #17
Fullcoverage

Looks like a way better upgrade than stock, very nice writeup too. Now i even noticed this “oem audio” looks like a great setup dsp and all. Any thoughts?

Quote:
The sound is a LOT better now. Toyota did a weird thing with their setup, in that they dropped the ohms down to 2 for the door woofers to get a little more punch out of that little OEM amp in the trunk. I kept the stock headunit (Pioneer AVH-2558zt), but because it doesn't have RCA jacks, I ended up running the speaker output through a 9-wire "speed wire" under the center console to my AudioControl LC7i and the two Kenwood amps in the trunk. I also ran 14-gauge wire to bypass the stock speaker wiring.

In addition to that, I added a SiriusXM Commander Touch receiver and wired it in through the AUX port to get satellite radio. That receiver is mounted above and to the left of my rearview mirror.

Bottom line: Lots more volume, lots more "thump," and no distortion. I'm "Rockin' Down the Highway," as the Doobie Brothers song goes!
Old 06-16-2020, 05:06 PM   #18
OsageJJ

Drives: 2019 Toyota 86 TRD SE
Quote:
Looks like a way better upgrade than stock, very nice writeup too. Now i even noticed this “oem audio” looks like a great setup dsp and all. Any thoughts?
If I was going to go with a digital signal processor instead of a line output converter like my LC7i, I would choose the JL Audio Fix-86. (Heck, it's got "86" in its name, so it has to be good, right? ) I had been out of the loop for a few years in buying car stereo equipment, and the LC7i was half the price of the Fix-86, so I decided to give the lower-priced option a whirl first.
OsageJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 07:33 PM   #19
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Lol jack shit, wow you brought me back to junior high with that one, you seem angry you might need a hug. Listing my experience in anything i do to you on what i do doesnt really matter. This is a “forum” of questions answers and advice not ****heads who answer topics with sarcasm because they have no life and are bored in their parents basement waiting for milk and cookies. Be nice and helpful or fuk off.
I'm not angry, I'm more sarcastic, and yes I would never pass on hugs.
Also I live in a modest house, not a basement. FYI in California we have no basements, or very little house have them. Maybe like .01 of houses might have one.

Lol dude, you thought your line converter was made by JL. Enough said.

Honestly if you good sound I would start with a new head unit. Skip the silly line out converters. Use the nice pre amp rca out puts from a modern head unit.

From there, use your 4 channel amp to power your front stage with component speaker set up, then a pair or single sub for the rear end.

But then again my mind reading abilities is a bit fuzzy so I don't know what your budget is. $300? Or $3000?

Thus again I recommend you go to any car audio shop, look around. Compare prices, hear and feel them out. But you know that right? Wait.... I guess not.
Let's just pick and choose what you want to hear.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr.ac For This Useful Post:
Fullcoverage (06-17-2020), soundman98 (06-16-2020)
Old 06-16-2020, 07:34 PM   #20
Fullcoverage

Hell yea!! I dont blame you lol im sure its more than enough
Quote:
If I was going to go with a digital signal processor instead of a line output converter like my LC7i, I would choose the JL Audio Fix-86. (Heck, it's got "86" in its name, so it has to be good, right? ) I had been out of the loop for a few years in buying car stereo equipment, and the LC7i was half the price of the Fix-86, so I decided to give the lower-priced option a whirl first.
Old 06-16-2020, 07:45 PM   #21
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Lol jack shit, wow you brought me back to junior high with that one, you seem angry you might need a hug. Listing my experience in anything i do to you on what i do doesnt really matter. This is a “forum” of questions answers and advice [from] ****heads who answer topics with sarcasm because they have no life and are bored in their parents basement waiting for milk and cookies. Be nice and helpful or fuk off.
if you had stopped there, you'd perfectly explain most of what goes on here among the regulars!

there's a reason i haven't added more to this conversation!
Fullcoverage (06-17-2020)
Old 06-16-2020, 07:46 PM   #22
soundman98

Quote:
it has a dsp, but is not user-adjustable. you're stuck with whatever their definition of 'good' is. i've never heard it, but i can guarantee it ain't my definition!
Old 06-16-2020, 07:49 PM   #23
soundman98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ac View Post
Also I live in a modest house, not a basement. FYI in California we have no basements, or very little house have them. Maybe like .01 of houses might have one.

Honestly if you good sound I would start with a new head unit. Skip the silly line out converters. Use the nice pre amp rca out puts from a modern head unit.

From there, use your 4 channel amp to power your front stage with component speaker set up, then a pair or single sub for the rear end.

But then again my mind reading abilities is a bit fuzzy so I don't know what your budget is. $300? Or $3000?

Thus again I recommend you go to any car audio shop, look around. Compare prices, hear and feel them out. But you know that right? Wait.... I guess not.
i also think it's stupid to blindly stick with any specific brand. every brand has their good and bad attributes. i run alpine pdx amps because even after 5 years, they STILL are some of the most power-dense amps amps available, not because i care about alpine...
Old 06-17-2020, 05:51 AM   #24
Fullcoverage

Jl audio made me a custom lc8i!! Lol enjoy your day. No harm no foul. Thanks for your sarcasm and advice.
I see only pioneer and kenwood make a 200mm for our cars? Which do you like? Im also an Apple guy so carplay would be a plus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ac View Post

Old 06-17-2020, 05:57 AM   #25
Fullcoverage

I agree to an extent, i feel like some companies just mesh better when put together. Not all cases though im sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
i also think it's stupid to blindly stick with any specific brand. every brand has their good and bad attributes. i run alpine pdx amps because even after 5 years, they STILL are some of the most power-dense amps amps available, not because i care about alpine...
Old 06-17-2020, 11:29 PM   #26
soundman98

what's custom about your lc8i? seems like a rather mundane part to offer such a service for when jl has historically(for the last 10 years) offered their own branded alternatives that i would say offer better features and adjustments than the audiocontrol unit, which is really just a compact-ish 8-channel grouped line output converter.
Old 06-18-2020, 05:58 AM   #27
Fullcoverage

It was a joke.
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
what's custom about your lc8i? seems like a rather mundane part to offer such a service for when jl has historically(for the last 10 years) offered their own branded alternatives that i would say offer better features and adjustments than the audiocontrol unit, which is really just a compact-ish 8-channel grouped line output converter.
Old 06-20-2020, 02:52 PM   #28
sharpsicle
Certs You Dont Care About

Drives: 2013 Galaxy Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Jl audio made me a custom lc8i!! Lol enjoy your day. No harm no foul. Thanks for your sarcasm and advice.
Quote:
It was a joke.
No better way to kill your own conversation than by telling others to be serious, just to make shit up as you go along!

On a serious note, you don't seem to really know what you want in this thread. It's going to hard for anyone to help until you're able to at least say that much. You've already walked back your original requirements, who knows where it goes next.
sharpsicle is offline   Reply With Quote