follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 03-04-2021, 10:07 AM   #1
CincyJohn

Drives: 2022 MT Neptune GR86 Prem.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
My weekend audio install ...

sorry no pictures of the install and everything else is stealth (at least as far as the interior is concerned). I have a nephew who is pretty into this stuff so I left most of the details to him. He is very detail-oriented and so it was a pretty involved install and he was committed to all solder connections and we had only one solder iron, so it was a lot of him doing the work.

It's a MY2020 BRZ. Stuck with the original head unit because I actually like it and it works fine. We ended up running all new speaker wire (StraightWire Waveguide 16/2 - $250 by itself).

It's a two amp system - Rockford Fosgate T400x4ad and a Kenwood KAC-M1814 4x45. The RF runs the bass speakers (door - JL Audio C3-650 6.5s) and mid (Eminence Alpha - 4inch - front dash) the Kenwood runs the rears (stock 3.5s - the 4 inch Eminence's wouldn't fit without significant mods and while I might change those out in the future, the stocks are OK for rear fill for now) and the tweeters (the modular tweeters out of the JL 6.5s).

The 6.5s just needed new mounting brackets. The 4's and the tweeters required some mods to the grill and the speakers to make work.

Everything runs through a Dayton Audio DSP-408. Since I have eight separate amp channels and have everything run through the DSP, I don't have any crossovers and don't use any filters on the amps (also have a used factory amp, speakers and tweeters willing to let go for a song. )

Put a TON of Dynomat in the doors and rear wheel wells and it makes a huge difference. The feel of the doors alone (feels SO much more solid) was worth it and I would do that mod even if I did nothing else. In fact, I put a couple of panels in the trunk just for the sound/feel of closing it - WELL worth it (not an autocrosser so I am not counting ounces).

I know some will question the lack of a subwoofer, but given the power I am sending to the JL 6.5's, and the fact that they don't have to do anything other than low end (as well as the fact that my music tastes don't tend to run to "bass thumping" music), I am pretty happy with the results.

I really like that it's stealth - no way to know that it isn't factory without lifting up the trunk mat. Did lose front/back fader functionality from the head unit, but the DSP has bluetooth and a phone application so that isn't a huge issue. Still working on some of the fine tuning on the DSP, but pretty amazing little upgrade.
CincyJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CincyJohn For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (03-04-2021), NWFRS (03-13-2021), soundman98 (03-04-2021), Wally86 (03-04-2021)
Old 03-04-2021, 06:47 PM   #2
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
No sub? What kind of monster are you? Lol.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 08:19 PM   #3
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyJohn View Post
We ended up running all new speaker wire (StraightWire Waveguide 16/2 - $250 by itself).
good thing you got pure copper. CCA is running rampant lately due to the lower costs...

i love my dsp408, wish they had come out with it sooner.
CincyJohn (03-09-2021)
Old 03-09-2021, 06:10 PM   #4
CincyJohn

Drives: 2022 MT Neptune GR86 Prem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
good thing you got pure copper. CCA is running rampant lately due to the lower costs...

i love my dsp408, wish they had come out with it sooner.
Any hints on your tune? I have set up the delays but I don't think it makes a huge difference given how small the interior is and how my head is very close to equidistant to all of them.

Still trying to get a fairly wide stage with tight bass and clear highs. Also like a fair amount of back fill - don't want to be able to tell it is all coming from in front of me.
CincyJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 11:28 PM   #5
soundman98

Quote:
Any hints on your tune? I have set up the delays but I don't think it makes a huge difference given how small the interior is and how my head is very close to equidistant to all of them.

Still trying to get a fairly wide stage with tight bass and clear highs. Also like a fair amount of back fill - don't want to be able to tell it is all coming from in front of me.
i did the brz install before the dsp existed, so it's actually installed in my ranger currently i'd like to eventually add it to the brz, but other things keep getting in the way

i had some significant issues years ago with a different setup consistently causing serious headaches while using the time alignment function, no matter what i set any of it to, so i don't mess too much with it.

i believe that in my current setup using the 408, i found the millisecond delay option worked the best for blending the subwoofer, with the cm/inch options being inconsistent.
Old 03-12-2021, 07:06 PM   #6
SuperSub7

Drives: Awesome
Quote:

I know some will question the lack of a subwoofer, but given the power I am sending to the JL 6.5's, and the fact that they don't have to do anything other than low end (as well as the fact that my music tastes don't tend to run to "bass thumping" music), I am pretty happy with the results.

hey if you are happy i am happy! i can understand the lack of sub. some people will just not need it honestly. and thats no problem. i think too many people just add sub for the heck of it when sometimes there is zero need, like you when the music you listen to doesnt need one. i think people think cars need to be like high end home theaters: the best of everything even if its not needed.
SuperSub7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 09:31 PM   #7
soundman98

but, but MOAR KNOBS AND BUTTONS AND ADJUSTMENTS AND WIRING PRON
Mr.ac (03-13-2021)
Old 03-13-2021, 09:08 AM   #8
MuseChaser