follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

CANADA Canada

User Tag List

Old 10-07-2020, 01:02 PM   #15
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sygfrid View Post
How much snow & ice are you gonna see in your area?

Here in Vancouver where snow, slush, ice, & rain can all be seen in a day, the All-Weather (4-season) Nokian WRG's work great. I've tried it on stock wheels with 225/45 & I never experienced getting stuck in the icy snow but it's a bit tail happy in the wet on hard turns. Now, I have Michelin Alpin PA4 225/40/18, which are UHP winters made for sports car, on my heavier 18" TRD's. These are really grippy in the wet & never experienced fish tail in the same scenario as the WRG3. I've done snowy hill climbs on them too without any problems.

If you're gonna be seeing a lot of snow, Nokian Hakkapeliitta are popular especially in the Nordic areas of Europe & are available in Kal Tire.

Check out the different CURRENT winter tire reviews on YouTube or even this: https://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/

The bigger question than how much snow is how cold will it get? You can get away with all seasons where the temperature stays near or above freezing but anything much below 0 and the A/S on the tire suddenly means "Awwwwwww SHIT!"
Old 10-07-2020, 03:00 PM   #16
daiheadjai

Drives: 2003 S2000, 2008 Fit
Thanked 1,154 Times in 688 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdaddy View Post
First winter with the BRZ, decided to go with switching between dedicated summer and winter tires.

-you guys think that these wheels will fit with no problem? i don't have brembos

-thoughts on the altimax arctics

-all in its around $880 including shipping, good price or nah

also im buying from wheelwiz.ca for those curious
I have a set of Altimax on my winter Fit - on size 15s - and I drive it pretty aggressively even during the winter.
No complaints at all - very durable and I haven't had any traction issues.
I think as long as you aren't on the RS-model Brembos, you shouldn't have issues downsizing (I went down to 16x7 when I had my BRZ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by RToyo86 View Post
They're good value per dollar for the performance. I recall paying less than $600 tax in for my original set that was on sale.

I managed to grab the Conti's for $600($680-750 everywhere else) but I'm questioning the decision as I have never ordered tires online before.
Contis have a 12 month/first 2/32nds road hazard warranty.
You'll be glad you had that if you live near perpetual construction and potholes like I do... I've replaced one Conti tire due to a pothole - all I had to pay was the $25 to have the tire mounted/balanced and installed
daiheadjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 07:16 AM   #17
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by daiheadjai View Post
Contis have a 12 month/first 2/32nds road hazard warranty.
You'll be glad you had that if you live near perpetual construction and potholes like I do... I've replaced one Conti tire due to a pothole - all I had to pay was the $25 to have the tire mounted/balanced and installed
So do the Generals.
daiheadjai (10-08-2020)
Old 10-08-2020, 09:09 AM   #18
ChazzDiss

Drives: Subaru 2014
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Hmm, I don't know, man. If you want to see more wheel and tire choices, you might as well visit 4WheelOnline. They have a variety of them, coming in all types, sizes, and patterns, all being sold at an affordable price.
ChazzDiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 09:37 AM   #19
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazzDiss View Post
Hmm, I don't know, man. If you want to see more wheel and tire choices, you might as well visit 4WheelOnline. They have a variety of them, coming in all types, sizes, and patterns, all being sold at an affordable price.
OP is in Canada. We have much more restricted options here. Many of the US suppliers cost us a fortune in exchange rate and shipping. Depending on where the tires are made we can even get hit with taxes and duty and that can almost double the price.
Old 10-08-2020, 10:31 AM   #20
8inchAzN

Drives: Car
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Is there a reason you aren't going with Costco? I think the WS90's are only marginally more expensive and you get a 70$ costco card with them and the 2% cash back with the premium membership.

Edit: Marginally more expensive if you take into consideration the $70 card and 2% cash back*
8inchAzN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 8inchAzN For This Useful Post:
Jordanwolf (10-08-2020), Tcoat (10-08-2020)
Old 10-08-2020, 10:50 AM   #21
sygfrid
FT8Syg

Drives: `12 FRS & `17 BRZ Inazuma
Garage
Costco will only mount factory-spec tires (whatever’s written on the door sticker). They can sell the tires but won't mount them unless they're factory specs

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk
Modding for daily fun & efficiency: Gruppe-S UEL, HKS dual res. FP, STi Per. Muffler, Delicious T. Ecutek tune, Crawford BPB, Grimmspeed CAI, STi Flex T. Bar, TRD Door Stabilizer, DSS aluminum propeller shaft, Verus diffuser & underbody covers, Verus LCA, Perrin bushings, Bilstein B6+RCE Yellows, Michelin PS4S + 18" WedsSport TC105X-summer, Michelin Alpin PA4 +18" Motegi MR140-winter
sygfrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 12:03 PM   #22
daiheadjai

Drives: 2003 S2000, 2008 Fit
Thanked 1,154 Times in 688 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
So do the Generals.
Didn't know that! I remembered looking high and low for that info (makes sense, since IIRC Conti owns General).
Good to know for my next set of winter tires!
daiheadjai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to daiheadjai For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (10-08-2020)
Old 10-08-2020, 12:58 PM   #23
Tcoat

Quote:
Costco will only mount factory-spec tires (whatever’s written on the door sticker). They can sell the tires but won't mount them unless they're factory specs

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk
Ours will mount anything they sell you. Probably not supposed to but it likely depends on how strict each location is with the rules.
Old 10-08-2020, 01:28 PM   #24
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Ours will mount anything they sell you. Probably not supposed to but it likely depends on how strict each location is with the rules.
+1 here too. Although the queue gets incredibly long the longer you wait. Longest I heard was a 3 week wait time.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jordanwolf For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (10-08-2020)
Old 10-08-2020, 10:46 PM   #25
airdaddy

Drives: WRB BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8inchAzN View Post
Is there a reason you aren't going with Costco? I think the WS90's are only marginally more expensive and you get a 70$ costco card with them and the 2% cash back with the premium membership.

Edit: Marginally more expensive if you take into consideration the $70 card and 2% cash back*
i haven't heard too many good things about the Blizzaks and all the tires similar to this size were more expensive, including rebates. Also for some reason, I can't find a way to search for wheels by size, I had to search by the cars default wheel size.
airdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 10:50 PM   #26
airdaddy

Drives: WRB BRZ
Quote:
How much snow & ice are you gonna see in your area?

Here in Vancouver where snow, slush, ice, & rain can all be seen in a day, the All-Weather (4-season) Nokian WRG's work great. I've tried it on stock wheels with 225/45 & I never experienced getting stuck in the icy snow but it's a bit tail happy in the wet on hard turns. Now, I have Michelin Alpin PA4 225/40/18, which are UHP winters made for sports car, on my heavier 18" TRD's. These are really grippy in the wet & never experienced fish tail in the same scenario as the WRG3. I've done snowy hill climbs on them too without any problems.

If you're gonna be seeing a lot of snow, Nokian Hakkapeliitta are popular especially in the Nordic areas of Europe & are available in Kal Tire.

Check out the different CURRENT winter tire reviews on YouTube or even this: https://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/
Im in Edmonton where it starts snowing mid oct-nov and doesn't melt until late april-may.

Last edited by airdaddy; 04-18-2021 at 02:25 AM.
airdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote