follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 05-31-2012, 05:16 PM   #113
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I would argue and I think many would agree that a manual transmission keeps you more focused on the road than an automatic, because it forces to to remain engaged in the driving experience over an extended trip, whereas with an automatic you can pretty much just gas and steer. At least I know I have an easier chance of spacing out while driving auto than when I drive stick. At the very least it keeps your right hand busier so you can't pick up your phone or other things that could distract you!

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.

Last edited by Turbowned; 05-31-2012 at 05:32 PM.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:24 PM   #114
Boosted2.0

Drives: 13 FR-S, 00 Spyder&Celica, 08 Tundr
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbowned View Post
I would argue and I think many would agree that a manual transmission keeps you more focused on the road than an automatic, because it forces to to remain engaged in the driving experience over an extended trip, whereas with an automatic you can pretty much just gas and steer. At least I know I have an easier chance of spacing out while driving auto than when I drive stick.
Yup.

Interesting statistic - there have been almost no reported cases of unintended acceleration to NHTSA on a manual transmission from ANY manufacturer. Manual drivers are a lot more aware of where their feet are.
Boosted2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:11 PM   #115
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,052 Times in 8,327 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted2.0 View Post
Yup.

Interesting statistic - there have been almost no reported cases of unintended acceleration to NHTSA on a manual transmission from ANY manufacturer. Manual drivers are a lot more aware of where their feet are.
Cuz 90% of the emergency braking make you push the clutch pedal in, which equal to not acceration
Old 05-31-2012, 11:44 PM   #116
trackmagic

Drives: 1994 BMW 318i
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Toyota has a lot of convincing to do before I would ever buy one of their paddle-shift cars...I drove an is350 once and was extremely disappointed that it would shift when it decided I did not know what I was doing. If it will not shift to 1st going 60 then I don't want it. Not that I would, but that is why I want a mt...I NEVER want a computer overriding my decisions while driving. I'm not sure why they don't do this for sports cars. I can do it with their mt so why do they think they should control an at when in manual mode.
trackmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:20 AM   #117
STi88

Drives: Mazda 3 Sport GT
Thank you Moto, you made the most awesome points about getting an AT and I can't agree with you more.

I've test drove the FRS AT two weeks ago and it just blew my mind how good it was, IMO it was on par with SMG offer in the BMW. It was definitely more smooth in full auto mode.

Thanks once again, you help confirm my decision with this awesome post.
STi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 12:03 AM   #118
Marrk

Drives: Honda Fit
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Disclaimer #1: I never heard of Moto-P until I met him today.

I have never wanted an automatic transmission on any car, but today may have changed that because today I drove an AT FR-S (thank you, Moto-P, for letting me drive your car). This AT is amazing. In fact, it may even be flawless. Although I only test drove the car for a few minutes on surface streets, I could find no fault with it. I cannot imagine that you guys who chose the AT option will regret it (in case you were wondering).

Disclaimer #2: I am not a car expert or an transmission expert. In fact, I have only driven one other paddle shift car (McLaren MP4-12C).

@Moto-P: With regard to Post 1 in this thread, you have not made my decision easier. You have made it harder. The MT is sweet, too.
Marrk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marrk For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (07-29-2012), HotLeopardMama (04-05-2016)
Old 07-29-2012, 01:41 PM   #119
mechaghost

Drives: Silver AT Limited
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
I wonder if the new Lotus Evora automatic transmission is similar to what the BRZ/FRS has: http://www.autoblog.com/2012/07/28/l...ives-in-octob/
mechaghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:49 PM   #120
Marrk

Drives: Honda Fit
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechaghost View Post
I wonder if the new Lotus Evora automatic transmission is similar to what the BRZ/FRS has: http://www.autoblog.com/2012/07/28/l...ives-in-octob/

That link says that it's from a Camry. Maybe Lotus breathed on it a good deal, too. Who knows? When I test drove the MT Evora, I was told that the Camry V6 in the car was dead stock Camry but controlled by a Lotus ECU.

Moto-P says that Toyota devoted an extra amount of development time and attention to the AT in the FR-S. Apparently, it as one of the focus points for the engineers.

EDIT: "When it comes times to shift gears, the Evora S comes standard with a six-speed manual transmission, but for the latest model year Lotus has also added a new option: the IPS transmission. The IPS, or Intelligent Precision Shift, is centered around a six-speed automatic gearbox that also features Lotus-developed transmission control.

This transmission features the ability to drive as a standard automatic, or to reach behind the steering wheel to utilize paddle shifters for added control. On the IPS-equipped Evora S 'sport mode' also increases shifting firmness."

http://www.leftlanenews.com/new-car-...otus/evora-s/#

Last edited by Marrk; 07-30-2012 at 10:28 AM.
Marrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:35 PM   #121
worfworf

Drives: Honda Odyssey, Evo X
I am a cheap bastard and tend to keep my cars for a long time - 200k or so.

Every auto car I had - Honda, Toyota, Mazda, Nissan, has had auto-transmission issues when it came to longevity.

Also rode in many friends auto cars and I could feel their auto transmission slipping.

Maybe I am sensitive or paranoid, but to rebuild an auto is very costly, whereas a manual only requires a new clutch.

I have vowed to only buy the wife an auto transmission and will teach all my 3 sons how to drive a stick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
worfworf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:33 PM   #122
krea.tion

Drives: BRZ/FRS soon?
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackmagic View Post
Toyota has a lot of convincing to do before I would ever buy one of their paddle-shift cars...I drove an is350 once and was extremely disappointed that it would shift when it decided I did not know what I was doing. If it will not shift to 1st going 60 then I don't want it. Not that I would, but that is why I want a mt...I NEVER want a computer overriding my decisions while driving. I'm not sure why they don't do this for sports cars. I can do it with their mt so why do they think they should control an at when in manual mode.
The FR-S that I test drove was an AT and I have to say, I was actually very impressed with the speed of the shifts. Coming from a guy that is used to GR6 transmission shift speeds in the GT-R, I think that says a lot. I wanted to quote what trackmagic said because I also own a IS250 AT and in no way should you compare the manual modes in the FRS to the one in the IS. They are completely different, designed for different purposes and clientele. The shift logic is completely different. The the "manual mode" in the IS is a joke, mostly there to add to the list of standard features that average people might think are "cool". The manual mode in the FR-S is actually usable and an improvement to the driving experience. Obviously the auto-throttle blips and upshifts are not as crisp as the DCT in the GT-R but it was clear that Toyota did their homework when designing the AT. Personally, I'm on the same boat as a lot of you. I swore I would only get the MT but I have to consider all the pros and cons and the decision is VERY tough.
krea.tion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to krea.tion For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (07-30-2012), Marrk (07-30-2012), russv (07-31-2012), trackmagic (07-31-2012)
Old 07-31-2012, 12:52 PM   #123
trackmagic

Drives: 1994 BMW 318i
Quote:
Originally Posted by krea.tion View Post
The FR-S that I test drove was an AT and I have to say, I was actually very impressed with the speed of the shifts. Coming from a guy that is used to GR6 transmission shift speeds in the GT-R, I think that says a lot. I wanted to quote what trackmagic said because I also own a IS250 AT and in no way should you compare the manual modes in the FRS to the one in the IS. They are completely different, designed for different purposes and clientele. The shift logic is completely different. The the "manual mode" in the IS is a joke, mostly there to add to the list of standard features that average people might think are "cool". The manual mode in the FR-S is actually usable and an improvement to the driving experience. Obviously the auto-throttle blips and upshifts are not as crisp as the DCT in the GT-R but it was clear that Toyota did their homework when designing the AT. Personally, I'm on the same boat as a lot of you. I swore I would only get the MT but I have to consider all the pros and cons and the decision is VERY tough.
Good to know. If I ever get a chance I'll try out the auto. Sounds like Toyota really listened to customer feedback when they designed the transmission.
trackmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:58 PM   #124
jm1681

Drives: MKVI VW GTI
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Okay, that's way too much for me to read. All I can say is this: I test drove an automatic, and ordered a manual without driving one.

It's not that it was bad (Though I really didn't care for it), but for the type of car, and "feel" of the car, I just felt bored in the automatic. I felt uninvolved and disconnected from the car.

It had nothing to do with needing to extract every ounce of awesome from my [admittedly] awesome self, and awesome car. I just wanted to feel like I was driving a great car, instead of being in a great car.
jm1681 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jm1681 For This Useful Post:
xjohnx (07-31-2012)
Old 07-31-2012, 01:08 PM   #125
trifenix

Drives: Toyota Tacoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by worfworf View Post
I am a cheap bastard and tend to keep my cars for a long time - 200k or so.

Every auto car I had - Honda, Toyota, Mazda, Nissan, has had auto-transmission issues when it came to longevity.

Also rode in many friends auto cars and I could feel their auto transmission slipping.

Maybe I am sensitive or paranoid, but to rebuild an auto is very costly, whereas a manual only requires a new clutch.

I have vowed to only buy the wife an auto transmission and will teach all my 3 sons how to drive a stick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Synchros go bad in manual trannies also dont forget. If u take care of an auto tranny it should last a long time depending if it was a reliable model (not pre-2001 honda tranny)

I assume folks arent too concerned with drivetrain loss auto/man. I am in la and want a manual because i dont want to lose out performance wise but all the positive reviews of the auto and traffic around here has me on the fence.
trifenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:21 PM   #126
russv
First 86

Drives: Scion FRS Argento Automatic
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by krea.tion View Post
Agree with you on the IS as I have one as well. The FRS auto is a completely different animal-more responsive and firmer shifting in sport mode.

Life is short...NO BORING CARS
russv is offline   Reply With Quote