follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List
Crosscharge, go_a_way1, MisterSheep, poudre

Old 02-02-2019, 06:10 PM   #17459
NCtoBRZ

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP WRB
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MdNt.exe View Post
Drove it to/from work and got stuck in traffic on the overpass. New to manuals so it was a tad scary :O.

question though, Im in central CA and its been in the low/mid 40's at night and ive noticed after turning on the car and allowing it to warm up for roughly 30-40seconds (idle goes slightly high, then dips/quiets down and stabilizes) when i attempt to drive off in 1st gear im letting off the clutch while applying gas, however the car just bucks me around, like a mechanical bull. Even tho im applying gas and the RPM's are increasing, they'll quickly dip 200-300 and then raise again, this process repeats itself 3-4 times before finally stabilizing in 1st gear (I really dont want to shift into 2nd while its doing it haha,) at this point im usually 2k/2.5k in the rpm range. Once it stabilizes i can shift through any of the gears without a hiccup and everything seems perfectly fine.

Is this Normal? Didnt feel it needed its own thread and ive browsed these forums for a loooong time and havent managed to find an issue like this, kinda threw me off. its a 2016 with 11k miles, everything on it is stock. I get that im new and still learning, but once the car is warmed up, everything seems fine. is 30-40seconds not enough? Again its only cold starts. if i drive literally across the street to the liquor store, come back and turn the car on, it does not happen and i can drive/shift through 1st without the boucing rpm's while applying gas. Any ideas? Oh and its also not throwing out any codes that i can see, i thought about calling the dealership but i work nights and am generally asleep before theyre open.
The throttle is a bit more sensitive on a cold start as the engine runs richer on cold starts. You’ll learn how to better modulate the gas/clutch pedals to drive smoother as you get used to driving a manual. Shifting into a higher gear as soon as possible will also make it less likely to buck as you are describing. A common thing with folks that are new to manual trans is that they try to stay in a lower gear far too often and for too long... for normal driving, 1st gear is only there to get you off the line.
NCtoBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 01:00 AM   #17460
Chikna

Drives: 2018 BRZ TS 244/500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCtoBRZ View Post
The throttle is a bit more sensitive on a cold start as the engine runs richer on cold starts. You’ll learn how to better modulate the gas/clutch pedals to drive smoother as you get used to driving a manual. Shifting into a higher gear as soon as possible will also make it less likely to buck as you are describing. A common thing with folks that are new to manual trans is that they try to stay in a lower gear far too often and for too long... for normal driving, 1st gear is only there to get you off the line.
I think there are very few manual transmission cars in Houston (5% in USA). I have seen automatic cars sticking to the butt of my car and so at the intersection someone should take the car really off the ground by shifting 1st, 2nd, 3rd as quickly as possible. In fact, I was also stuck on overpass and I didn't realize my car was rolling back until a driver behind me honked - I didn't crash, this was my first experience in rolling back.
Chikna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 10:10 AM   #17461
MdNt.exe

Drives: 12'250,16'bmw S1Krr,16' 636,16BRZ
Quote:

hmmm, Youd think i would have found someone else complain about this issue before. When i search google/YT i only find bouncing idle issues, as in the car isnt moving. My idle appears to be fine and doesnt do that, so im not sure, it only arises when the vehicle is in motion and does not happen while in reverse. I originally thought it was me just being new to manuals but again, once the vehicle is warmed up i dont have any problems, so ive ruled being inexperienced out for now.

After work today while leaving, once i started to move i actually pulled my foot off the gas while decelerating i notice the same bouncing rpms, obviously slowing down so theyre dropping, but itd go down NORMALLY while dipping even lower for a split second, then going back up slightly and did it roughly 3-4 times before stabilizing. I asked a few others at work and got allll sorts of answers as to what it could potentially be.
MdNt.exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 03:09 PM   #17462
NCtoBRZ

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP WRB
Quote:
hmmm, Youd think i would have found someone else complain about this issue before. When i search google/YT i only find bouncing idle issues, as in the car isnt moving. My idle appears to be fine and doesnt do that, so im not sure, it only arises when the vehicle is in motion and does not happen while in reverse. I originally thought it was me just being new to manuals but again, once the vehicle is warmed up i dont have any problems, so ive ruled being inexperienced out for now.

After work today while leaving, once i started to move i actually pulled my foot off the gas while decelerating i notice the same bouncing rpms, obviously slowing down so theyre dropping, but itd go down NORMALLY while dipping even lower for a split second, then going back up slightly and did it roughly 3-4 times before stabilizing. I asked a few others at work and got allll sorts of answers as to what it could potentially be.
In my words that you quoted I explained why the behavior that you describe would be more likely to happen on a cold start... I would bet that a more experienced manual driver would be able to drive your car more smoothly in the same scenario that you described. You aren’t finding a lot of threads with people complaining about this because there is no issue to report, it’s just a matter of learning to drive more smoothly. If you don’t want to believe that it could be you, take your car to the dealership and I’m pretty confident that they will tell you that there is nothing wrong with your car. If you want more internet opinions, try posting a video of what’s happening.
NCtoBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 07:04 PM   #17463
Ganthrithor

Drives: '13 BRZ, '06 997, Other Things(TM)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
when i attempt to drive off in 1st gear im letting off the clutch while applying gas, however the car just bucks me around, like a mechanical bull.
This happens to me from time to time when it's my first few minutes in the car for the day, especially if I've been driving other cars that don't have whiplash-inducing drivetrains. It's just how it is driving a torque-less engine with a drivetrain that has too many, too-flexible bushings and motor mounts in it. On a car with a bigger, torquier engine you'd just be able to apply a little throttle and mash the elastomers in one direction and end the slapping, but because the resonance in the drivetrain overpowers your puny twelve foot-pounds of torque from your almost-idling engine there's no way to stop the slapping without just letting off the throttle for a second or two or declutching until the thing stops bouncing around.

The list of things I dislike about the BRZ is really, really short, but the general floppiness of the stock drivetrain and susceptibility to this kind of resonant bouncing is one thing that still annoys me from time to time. It can be eliminated with really smooth throttle and clutch work, though. It can be a little embarrassing though when the driver isn't warmed up yet or is used to driving something else and hops into the BRZ with a passenger and they're just like, "what the fuck is wrong with your car?"
Ganthrithor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 09:48 PM   #17464
BierMeister

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP CWP
Today I unveiled the all new Subaru Z. A collaboration between toyota, subaru, and nissan.
Attached Images

BierMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BierMeister For This Useful Post:
MJones_RB (02-04-2019)
Old 02-03-2019, 10:58 PM   #17465
el-guapin

Drives: 1949 UFO
Thanked 1,701 Times in 434 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMeister View Post
Today I unveiled the all new Subaru Z. A collaboration between toyota, subaru, and nissan.

el-guapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 11:38 PM   #17466
Brink

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMeister View Post
Should try to get some matching numbers and make it an 860Z.
Brink is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brink For This Useful Post:
Will BRZ (02-05-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 11:27 PM   #17467
Will BRZ
Damn that's crazy...

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Not today, but took my first road trip with the BRZ on Thursday from Houston to San Antonio to watch ABR live. It was about 200 miles one way and it was incredible. I was a lot more comfortable than I thought I would be and it was just great when driving with nothing but an open road and greenery all around. Hit a pretty good top speed when no one was around too lol gas mileage was obviously a plus so really no complaints. Overall, pretty impressed
Will BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Will BRZ For This Useful Post:
BA9092 (02-06-2019)
Old 02-06-2019, 10:00 AM   #17468
gman6974

Drives: 2018 BRZ
Stepped outside, looked at it to make sure it's still under my carport and came back in. Working from home today.
gman6974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 12:11 PM   #17469
BoxRZ_86

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited SWP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Took her to Subaru for the valve spring recall....
BoxRZ_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 12:36 PM   #17470
MINI_Bkk

Drives: Evo X. Mini R56
Get sti silver fender garnish wrapped by a wrap shop

MINI_Bkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 02:44 PM   #17471
Chikna

Drives: 2018 BRZ TS 244/500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MINI_Bkk View Post

Where did you get that garnish from? I liked it.
Chikna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 02:57 PM   #17472
eastendraceshop

Drives: '13 Scion FR-S & '17 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MINI_Bkk View Post

That adds a nice touch to the car!
eastendraceshop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
+20 hp, :popcorn:, bragging because we can, brz driving master race, brz whore, damn daniel, dirty frs peasants, fart can, how to waste energy, how to waste money, how to waste time, i like turtles, lazy mods, many tagz, omg pages are fixed…, outlawstar98isanoob, pages are fucked up, pages still fucked, ricers, riflewuzhere