follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 04-28-2021, 10:54 PM   #1
PR138

Drives: '14 WRB BRZ | '17 CB STi
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
OLM headlight question FR-S

I'm installing a set of OLM HIDs on my daughter's '13 FR-S tonight. I have the boomerang lighting up and the turn signal working, but no low or high beam whatsoever. One headlamp assembly is in and the other is still OEM - the OEM one has low and high beams working and the OLM does not so I know this is not a fuse related issue.

HID ballast is plugged in, the 8 to 6 pin harness adapter is plugged in, the 3 wires to the turn signal harness are all tapped in (yellow to red, green to white, and black to black as the videos all indicate), and I still have no low or high beam. I tried pulling off the back of the headlight to look at the bulb and wiring and everything looks to be connected properly.

I'm stopping here for the night and I'll head back out to the garage tomorrow morning to try some more. I think my next attempt will be to check the other ballast in this spot and eliminate that as a possible issue.

Does anyone have any thoughts on where to check next for the HID portion not working? Again, the boomerang portion lights up with the parking lights and the turn signal works properly. Just no headlights low or high beam at all on the new headlight assembly.
2013 UM Scion FR-S
PR138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 01:10 AM   #2
x808drifter
LMGTFY

Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,625 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Try the other bulb and ballast.
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 08:19 AM   #3
Wally86
Be Kind

Drives: 2020 86
Thanked 1,249 Times in 602 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PR138 View Post
I'm installing a set of OLM HIDs on my daughter's '13 FR-S tonight. I have the boomerang lighting up and the turn signal working, but no low or high beam whatsoever. One headlamp assembly is in and the other is still OEM - the OEM one has low and high beams working and the OLM does not so I know this is not a fuse related issue.

HID ballast is plugged in, the 8 to 6 pin harness adapter is plugged in, the 3 wires to the turn signal harness are all tapped in (yellow to red, green to white, and black to black as the videos all indicate), and I still have no low or high beam. I tried pulling off the back of the headlight to look at the bulb and wiring and everything looks to be connected properly.

I'm stopping here for the night and I'll head back out to the garage tomorrow morning to try some more. I think my next attempt will be to check the other ballast in this spot and eliminate that as a possible issue.

Does anyone have any thoughts on where to check next for the HID portion not working? Again, the boomerang portion lights up with the parking lights and the turn signal works properly. Just no headlights low or high beam at all on the new headlight assembly.

I remember watching the FTSpeed video and seeing some wire that had to be tapped into the factory harness on older models. I'd start there and see what's what.
Old 04-29-2021, 05:14 PM   #4
PR138

Drives: '14 WRB BRZ | '17 CB STi
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Well, I ended up pulling the headlight out and disconnecting/reconnecting every connector on it. Once I did that, everything worked as it should have. Glad that was the case, because I was going to be pissed if one of the ballasts was bad out of the box
2013 UM Scion FR-S
PR138 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PR138 For This Useful Post:
Wally86 (05-03-2021)