follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 02-28-2021, 08:12 AM   #43
WNDSRFR

Drives: FR-S,GTI
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 View Post
You can buy anything at any price used.

Wasn’t phantom v3 like $2,500 new and then you needed dump batteries so it ended up being $2800+ ?

And now i see tons of the phantoms popping up with failures and issues but the guy who made them is MIA so they’re all paper weights now?

$3,000 for the performance it has compared to a traditional FI kit from a power to price stand point might seem a little steep although not outlandish.

But once you factor in all the supporting mods needed with a traditional FI kit the power to price ratio isn’t really far off.

The torque amp could be installed on an otherwise stock vehicle or added on to a FBO + E85 setup with no other supporting mods like catch cans, oil coolers etc.. needed.

I think it’s a reasonably priced product that fills a gap between NA and full FI. It’s easy to install and quick to remove in a pinch.
I bought my kit new at that price. It was version 1. In fact it was the 4th one ever made. I was what you would call an early adapter. Or Beta tester. When my first kit blew up (the controller failed) I sent it back to Rob for evaluation and he sent me the latest version. (And he told me about mine being "experimental"). That one blew up maybe a year later. (Compressor failed, the shaft broke.) So Rob sent me the latest V3 which addressed all the previous failures. He even offered to pay for a new set of batteries which I declined (The Canadians are way too nice). The latest one has been working flawlessly to this day. Just need to replace the batteries every couple years. And I still use the original PowerSonic batteries because they're cheap. I gave away the new V3 battery tray.
WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 12:09 PM   #44
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNDSRFR View Post
I bought my kit new at that price. It was version 1. In fact it was the 4th one ever made. I was what you would call an early adapter. Or Beta tester. When my first kit blew up (the controller failed) I sent it back to Rob for evaluation and he sent me the latest version. (And he told me about mine being "experimental"). That one blew up maybe a year later. (Compressor failed, the shaft broke.) So Rob sent me the latest V3 which addressed all the previous failures. He even offered to pay for a new set of batteries which I declined (The Canadians are way too nice). The latest one has been working flawlessly to this day. Just need to replace the batteries every couple years. And I still use the original PowerSonic batteries because they're cheap. I gave away the new V3 battery tray.
Right, so a highly unlikely scenario that no one else can replicate so the price you paid is a horrible comparison. Good deal for you aside from dealing with all the head ache of these failures. But not a a good or fair comparison of price comparing it to this.

V3 phantom sold new IIRC for $2500 + 2 dump batteries typically $300+ so $2800 vs this kit is $3000 and looks to be way more polished and refined and i believe will make another .5psi. So really it’s priced pretty well compared to the phantom.
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 11:47 PM   #45
BlOody_BoOger

Drives: Hot lava FRS Monogram Charizard
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I'm still waiting on results too I wanna see if the single torqamp is making as much power as Im making with my twin phantom setup. Of so I would totally sell one of my phantoms and pick up a torqamp and pair the two up. Hopefully in a week or two I can post dyno results of the twin setup.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk
BlOody_BoOger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 02:18 AM   #46
TorontoB

Drives: Brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I don’t think any you can get a phantom eturbo, am I mistaken? If you can’t get parts it will break and be obsolete.
TorontoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 11:52 AM   #47
Texas2016Frs
Bottled FRS

Drives: 2016 manual frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
FYI. I have installed this system on my car. Here is the thread if anyone is interested.

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153696
Texas2016Frs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric supercharger, phantom, torqamp