follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 04-19-2015, 05:40 AM   #1
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,346 Times in 4,127 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Logitec G27 Racing Wheel Opinions Please

I am considering getting Project Cars. I have not purchased a racing sim/game before and I appreciate that trying to drive using a mouse and keyboard is probably not ideal :/

Given I live in the backwater that is Aus Logitec is the most readily available controller for me. I have looked at Fanatec and by the time I have added all the bits and pieces plus the crappy exchange rate it is priced through the roof. The G27 is available for Aus$300 which is seems like good value for a complete kit.

Is it an acceptable first wheel or should I be looking at something else?

Ta.

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 12:41 PM   #2
cdrazic93
Junior

Drives: a car
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,502 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
G27 checking in

Ive had this wheel since GT6 came out, although gt6 was a dissapointment the wheel definitely was not. Either youre going to want to find a desk you can clamp it to, or they sell stands for it (theyre not bad). Dont expect to throw the shifter as hard as you can in our car, but itll be a decent step up from your standard wheels.

The quality is top notch. Pho leather stitching, aluminum pedals with clutch and gated gearbox with boot. Theres even youtube videos on how to reverse the pedals to go upside down and fit like real pedals.
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh
cdrazic93 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cdrazic93 For This Useful Post:
Captain Snooze (04-19-2015)
Old 04-19-2015, 12:44 PM   #3
cdrazic93
Junior

This is the level of steering wheels that people buy to fit in their gyroscopic cockpit for sim racing.
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh
Old 04-20-2015, 08:52 AM   #4
Martinius

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ ST
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
As far as I know G27 is not compatible with Project Cars. I know ....

EDIT: Unless you're on a PC, then you're all good
Martinius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 10:14 AM   #5
TheVoiceOfReason

Drives: BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
G27 is pretty much the go-to wheel for most people on Iracing. It's good enough that it you will shouldn't be a limiting factor in your driving. There are nicer wheels out there from Thrustmaster, Fanatec, etc. but the G27 is by far the best for the money in my opinion. Because of it's popularity, it also has great community support for proper settings. I've had mine for a year and a half and use it about 8-10 hours a week with no issues.

I have some Fanatec pedals, which I like, but they require more fine tuning to get what you want being a load cell setup with so much adjustment. Great if you want that adjustment, but the G27 is plug and play hardware wise. You might play with some software settings, but even with that its an easy setup.
TheVoiceOfReason is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheVoiceOfReason For This Useful Post:
Captain Snooze (04-28-2015), Tgionet (04-20-2015)
Old 04-24-2015, 01:15 PM   #6
TylerLieberman

Drives: '24 GR86
Thanked 3,343 Times in 1,576 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
I have a G27. For $40 or so, you can buy an adapter and use a real wheel on it as well.

I'm using a 330mm Vertex steering wheel on mine. Also paid another $40 to get the larger, carbon composite paddles to make it easier to reach with the larger diamter wheel.

G27 rocks. Shifter is light and has no weight or concise feel to it, but other than that, I have no complaints.
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TylerLieberman For This Useful Post:
cdrazic93 (04-24-2015)
Old 04-24-2015, 02:45 PM   #7
cdrazic93
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerLieberman View Post
I have a G27. For $40 or so, you can buy an adapter and use a real wheel on it as well.

I'm using a 330mm Vertex steering wheel on mine. Also paid another $40 to get the larger, carbon composite paddles to make it easier to reach with the larger diamter wheel.

G27 rocks. Shifter is light and has no weight or concise feel to it, but other than that, I have no complaints.
I would throw on a legit short shifter and boot with the wiring but that would take way too long to magiver.