follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Northern California

Northern California NorCal

User Tag List

Old 01-12-2016, 03:39 PM   #99
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-awesome View Post
I wouldn't work 40hrs a week either haha I like your idea of apprenticing part time with a local tuner shop though. I'd probably won't use their shop since I'll have my dream garage in the comforts on own home with a lift, corghi wheel machine and all the tools I need! Do free work for my family and friends or let them use it. One can dream...

I'd probably split the time between that and volunteering. Maybe dabble around a few dream jobs that I always wanted to try. I'd been known as the rich millionaire who works for free.
too me a shop at home that people would want to use is an easy way to get sued by a "friend" or more likely a friend of a friend that "gets hurt"

I manage a government building and worked for the courts before. Spend too much time with lawyers to not be that paranoid about shit like that.

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 04:16 PM   #100
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,937 Times in 11,375 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
I'd gladly take the old U.S. top tier tax rate of 90% back in the fifties over living in a true small government country like Somalia. Especially since back then in the U.S. minimum wage could actually put a roof over your head, food in your belly and leave you with a decent amount of leisure time to boot...
Nope can't disagree with you.

My motto, Good ol' USA, absolute worse place to live on earth, well except for everywhere else!

As far as college, well, I have been cashflowing that for the past 9 years for 3 sons so here's my take on it.

You can go to an in-state University in Georgia for right at $15,000 a year. That includes Room, Board, Tuition and fees. If your grades in High School were good enough to qualify for the Hope Scholarship, that knocks about $2,000 a semester off that, so we are down to $11,000 a year.

You could also live at home and cut about $4,800 a year off that cost just for room, with some trade-off for transportation of course.

My youngest works at Publix grocery stores, and makes around $10 an hour. He could work 40 hours a week during the summer and 10 hours during the week during the school year and cash flow college + living expenses by himself.

No, he wouldn't have a new car, or the latest phone, or Spring Break trips (and he doesn't have that anyway) but it can be done.

So, if you want to go to school, and are willing to work, you can still cash flow college even without financial assistance and come out the back end with no college debt, its all about choices along the way.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (01-12-2016), strat61caster (01-12-2016)
Old 01-12-2016, 04:50 PM   #101
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
I wouldn't work 40hrs a week either haha I like your idea of apprenticing part time with a local tuner shop though. I'd probably won't use their shop since I'll have my dream garage in the comforts on own home with a lift, corghi wheel machine and all the tools I need! Do free work for my family and friends or let them use it. One can dream...

I'd probably split the time between that and volunteering. Maybe dabble around a few dream jobs that I always wanted to try. I'd been known as the rich millionaire who works for free.
Dude in this scenario you have 100s of millions of dollars not a $10k scratch and win. You are thinking way to small scale and on a "budget" here. You don't apprentice at some shop. You build the sweetest shop in world history and you hire the top engineers and master techs in the world to come and teach you. You use Ferraris for practice and if you ruin one you throw it in the scrap bin out back and take another off the shelf.
Dadhawk (01-12-2016), G-awesome (01-12-2016)
Old 01-12-2016, 05:02 PM   #102
Tcoat

Quote:
Guess

I'd gladly take the old U.S. top tier tax rate of 90% back in the fifties over living in a true small government country like Somalia. Especially since back then in the U.S. minimum wage could actually put a roof over your head, food in your belly and leave you with a decent amount of leisure time to boot.

My uncle always talks about how he lived in a garage for $50/month while going to college, back then you could work a minimum wage job for 3 months (i.e. a summer at McDonalds 40hrs a week) and have enough money to study full time the rest of the year at a respectable public university.
Not how it ever was here. Minimum wage was always exactly that minimum. In fact there were whole decades that went by where it didn't even keep up with the cost of living. If you can't get by on it now you would not have been able to get by on it then either. The US had a big upsurge for a couple of decades where it was higher (then the bottom dropped out of it). We never got that here.
strat61caster (01-12-2016)
Old 01-12-2016, 05:07 PM   #103
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,476 Times in 4,997 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
You can go to an in-state University in Georgia for right at $15,000 a year. That includes Room, Board, Tuition and fees. If your grades in High School were good enough to qualify for the Hope Scholarship, that knocks about $2,000 a semester off that, so we are down to $11,000 a year.
Damn, UC was up to $5k/quarter when I left, that's $15k just to enroll for an academic year, I was on $800 a month and living pretty happy, probably could have pulled off just under $500/mo with some effort, I couldn't get an in state degree from a Univeristy of California for less than $20k/year and closer to $30k/year in more expensive areas, and it's only gotten more expensive since. Other state schools would have been cheaper but not by a ton.

Good on your son, no grocery store or fast food joint would hire me
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (01-12-2016)
Old 01-12-2016, 05:33 PM   #104
G-awesome

Drives: 2015 Firestorm Scion FRS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
too me a shop at home that people would want to use is an easy way to get sued by a "friend" or more likely a friend of a friend that "gets hurt"

I manage a government building and worked for the courts before. Spend too much time with lawyers to not be that paranoid about shit like that.
Guess I'll have to keep that in mind if I ever become rich enough to build a garage. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Dude in this scenario you have 100s of millions of dollars not a $10k scratch and win. You are thinking way to small scale and on a "budget" here. You don't apprentice at some shop. You build the sweetest shop in world history and you hire the top engineers and master techs in the world to come and teach you. You use Ferraris for practice and if you ruin one you throw it in the scrap bin out back and take another off the shelf.
Ok you convinced me Tcoat. Gonna build a garage for F1/Indy/NASCAR devleopment, a test track and put together an all star F1 racing team.....in my backyard. Might as well put a horse racing team for the kentucky derby while I'm at it! Time to dream like a son of an oil-rich arab sheikh!
G-awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to G-awesome For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (01-12-2016), finch1750 (01-12-2016), Tcoat (01-12-2016)
Old 01-12-2016, 05:40 PM   #105
Tcoat

Quote:
Guess I'll have to keep that in mind if I ever become rich enough to build a garage. :P

Ok you convinced me Tcoat. Gonna build a garage for F1/Indy/NASCAR devleopment, a test track and put together an all star F1 racing team.....in my backyard. Might as well put a horse racing team for the kentucky derby while I'm at it! Time to dream like a son of an oil-rich arab sheikh!
Now you get the idea!
Old 01-12-2016, 06:14 PM   #106
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,476 Times in 4,997 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
It would run you about $20mil to field a Sprint Cup Car for a year and make every race and run midpack I think. You could do it in style for for the next 50 years with a billion in startup money. Not sure about Indy costs but given how spec the engines and aero are I doubt it's significantly more expensive.

Doing both with F1 might be a problem though, you might be able to run all three teams for about 5 years but if you're not successful you'd probably run out of cash pretty quick.

It's not the 70's anymore, doubt we'll see another Hesketh racing team.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY2Bjo9Hfu4"]Hesketh Racing and Alexander Hesketh (When Playboys Ruled the World) - YouTube[/ame]

We'll see how Haas does, he's in a position to dump several hundreds of millions of dollars into his endeavor, if he even scores a point within the next three years it'll be a massive success compared to every other upstart in the last 15 years.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 07:03 PM   #107
Locust
Custom User Title

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S, 2012 OB Evo X MR
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Locust
Quote:
I cry BS to those "I would keep working cuz' I would get bored" guys. If you can not find enough to do with that sort of money then working ain't gonna fix it.
I would keep working in that I would start my own businesses. Once they're up and running they can be passed off but it's not enough just to have the money. It needs to sustain, too.

To those of you saying you'd buy a Formula 1 car I think you drastically underestimate the cost of running one of those things. You would last 4 seasons and then be dirt poor.

http://www.f1-grandprix.com/?p=23009

Instagram:
LocustAutoX
Sponsors:
DSGPerformance Drift Office Evil Apex Racing

Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locust For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (01-12-2016), strat61caster (01-12-2016)
Old 01-12-2016, 07:10 PM   #108
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,937 Times in 11,375 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Quote:
Damn, UC was up to $5k/quarter when I left, that's $15k just to enroll for an academic year,...
Well, #LivingTheCaliforniaDreamWorldProblems for the most part. The ratio of GA to CA tuition seems not as bad as the price of everything else. The house I live in (at least based on what you see in reality real estate shows) in California would be in the $1.5M range or more. I paid about 20% of that.

Early in my career I had the opportunity to move to Sausalito to work for a start-up headed by an ex-boss. I love the Bay area but one week of house hunting made us realize it was not the place we wanted to live, just visit.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (01-12-2016)
Old 01-12-2016, 07:35 PM   #109
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locust View Post
I would keep working in that I would start my own businesses. Once they're up and running they can be passed off but it's not enough just to have the money. It needs to sustain, too.

To those of you saying you'd buy a Formula 1 car I think you drastically underestimate the cost of running one of those things. You would last 4 seasons and then be dirt poor.

http://www.f1-grandprix.com/?p=23009
I repeat the winnings would be in the hundreds of millions. Unless the business is pure hobby you will not need to tend it during the lean start up years.
These are dream dollars here not start up a small business capitol.
Old 01-12-2016, 07:55 PM   #110
Locust
Custom User Title

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S, 2012 OB Evo X MR
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Locust
Quote:
I repeat the winnings would be in the hundreds of millions. Unless the business is pure hobby you will not need to tend it during the lean start up years.
These are dream dollars here not start up a small business capitol.
And I repeat I would start several businesses because I know what it takes to continue to build on wealth rather than just sustain it.

I'm well aware of how much the winnings are as well as exactly what I would spend it on.

Also you can't just throw money at a startup and expect it to be successful. You have to be there working on things from the ground up and part of enjoying life and enjoying your money is building something that you can be proud of.

Did you ever think that maybe there's more to life than just living comfortably and dying? What if I want to build businesses that will last for decades or centuries? https://25catholicmormon26.files.wor...-1920x1080.jpg

Instagram:
LocustAutoX
Sponsors:
DSGPerformance Drift Office Evil Apex Racing

Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locust For This Useful Post:
PMok (01-14-2016)
Old 01-14-2016, 10:46 AM   #111
nyrip
It's not rasp, just Rawr!

Drives: Something far too loud
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
I didn't win... It's ok. I would have blown it all on hookers and cocaine. Went out Charlie sheen style
Dadhawk (01-14-2016), MisterSheep (01-14-2016)
Old 01-14-2016, 11:02 AM   #112
MisterSheep
Killed Scion

Drives: 2013 FR-S Whiteout
Thanked 7,307 Times in 4,485 Posts
Mentioned: 334 Post(s)
Tagged: 185 Thread(s)
Garage
I myself bought $10 worth, my GF bought $10 worth. And we all pitched in with some of the crew at work for a total of $500 worth at work. None of my personal ones won and I haven't checked with work yet.
Originally Posted by KR-S 86 View Post
What are you talking about? You just killed one of the worst brands in history according to enthusiasts. People will be worshipping you like sheep.
MisterSheep is offline   Reply With Quote