follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 12-22-2011, 01:45 PM   #15
oneday
Opinionated

Drives: Something Red
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneday View Post
OEM STI 4-pot front calipers/rotors/pads can be gotten for under $800. Rears would be a little less. I'd say $1500 for all four corners, if you buy new parts...find some used ones from some baller that opted for a StopTech BBK and you might score a set up for under a grand.
Correction: I was looking at the WRX 4-pots...but then found a plethora of STI Brembos on Ebay for $1050...so I wasn't too far off. I am working on getting new OEM pricing from my supplier.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:47 PM   #16
JDLM

Drives: 2009 BMW 335i
Quote:
Correction: I was looking at the WRX 4-pots...but then found a plethora of STI Brembos on Ebay for $1050...so I wasn't too far off. I am working on getting new OEM pricing from my supplier.
Yeah I saw all the ones on ebay as well, and I am sure there are NAISOC and other Subaru based message boards w/ guys that have swapped to aftermarket kits

AWE90/ZSP/ZPP/2XA/NAV/HID/DPE////M/EAS/Disma
JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:48 PM   #17
tranzformer
Delights in pure handling

Drives: Zoom Zoom
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I assume that $1050 is for a used setup?

Once you hear pricing from your supplier, I would be interested in knowing what they say.
tranzformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 02:23 PM   #18
old greg
Rocket Surgeon

Drives: PSM GGA OMG
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Hmm.. I really hope that the front roll center is only that low because of the low front c.o.g. Large roll couples make me a sad panda.
old greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 03:11 PM   #19
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: quicker than arghx7
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Agreed. In the article they did plead to Whiteline to hurry up and get an extended outer ball joint in their catalog. ...or, these already work, however the delta means ride height lowering is still limited to "not much".

Also, updated my post to reflect potentially more accurate brake fitment information. Looks like it may not be straightforward '04 STI brakes afterall.
Old 12-22-2011, 03:34 PM   #20
JDLM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
Agreed. In the article they did plead to Whiteline to hurry up and get an extended outer ball joint in their catalog. ...or, these already work, however the delta means ride height lowering is still limited to "not much".

Also, updated my post to reflect potentially more accurate brake fitment information. Looks like it may not be straightforward '04 STI brakes afterall.
What do you believe would be needed for it to become a direct fit?

Old 12-22-2011, 03:49 PM   #21
Longhorn248
Hook 'em

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranzformer View Post

Once you hear pricing from your supplier, I would be interested in knowing what they say.
+1 I would be interested in the Brembo Sti upgrade simply because I think they look better than what we've seen on release cars so far.
Longhorn248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 03:50 PM   #22
Homemade WRX
Pro Subie Engine Nerd

Drives: BRZ has a reserved space
I was wondering how long it would take for this to pop up here. I saw Mike post it on facebook this morning, as he does with ALL motoIQ articles lol

I suspect the rears will need adapters to mount and then assuming GD style rotors fit, adapter brake shoes for the parking brake. If GR (most likely) then it'll be adapter, shoes and drilling rotors for 5x100 lug pattern.

I need to go back through the pics and look more closely as when I read it this morning, I was in my suspension dork mode
Homemade WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 04:04 PM   #23
BeachNative

Drives: 04 G35/6MT
I'm thinking an upgrade to the Brembos (w/steel lines) is going to be a must...
BeachNative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 04:07 PM   #24
Silverpike
popular among the JDM

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
Good to read them confirm that '04-'12 STI front brakes and '08+ rear brakes are a direct bolt-on along with '04 STI front rotors and redrilled '08+ rear rotors. This makes brake swaps quasi-compatible. Next someone needs to find if the newer Subaru hubs bolt on w/ 5x114.3 pattern.
This is already an investigated issue in the Subaru world. The hubs are very different between 5x100 and 5x114, and they are not interchangable. There are companies such as 6gun Racing which used to sell machined 5x100 knuckles adapted to fit 5x114 hubs, but they were >$1k. I think 6gun is even out of business now, so you can't get them anymore.

What worries me about the BRZ is if they are using the WRX 5x100 hubs. If so this is bad news. These hubs have problems with premature bearing death, especially when autocrossed. They are a huge PITA to replace, and new bearings are $$$ from Subaru. The 5x114 hubs have larger bearings, and are known to be much more robust when tracked. There's a huge subset of Subaru guys who converted their entire car to 5x114 not for wheel choice, but to switch to the larger bearings which don't fail so easily.

My 02 Bugeye has bearings on the way out. It's almost 10 years old now, and went through about 3 auto-x seasons. If I were planning on keeping the car, I would have to do the bearings.
Silverpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 04:14 PM   #25
JDLM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranzformer View Post

If mine gets back to me I'll post up info as well

Trying to do "suspension packages" so it will be a 1 stop bundle (obviously a GB would lower prices/cost for everyone)

Old 12-22-2011, 04:15 PM   #26
Spaceywilly
ZC6A2B82KC7J

Drives: 2002 WRX
I'm right with you on the bearing death in my bugeye, but it is due to heat transfer from the brakes which shouldn't be as much of a problem on this car. Plus I think in the 10 years that have passed they might have improved them somewhat. It sounds like my 4 pot brakes will swap right over which is awesome.
Spaceywilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:39 PM   #27
Silverhks

Drives: 07 STi STU #17
I agree spacewilly.

I think that with the 10 yr development in materials, AND that they are not driven meaning less force transfer, AND that the car weights ~200 lbs less, AND that it handles better so you shouldn't need to scrub as much speed...

All SHOULD add up to better bearing life
Silverhks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:58 PM   #28
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,233 Times in 2,957 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Yeah the wheel choice thing is the smaller problem IMO with 5x100 hubs, the main problem is the bearings. But I'm cautiously optimistic it won't be a problem for most people.

I look forward to plotting the roll center and looking at in relation to the COG. Might be fine but it looks like slamming the car isn't going to be a good idea if you care about handling and don't do anything about the roll center. And who knows how much travel it has.

Brembos will look nice on the car.

- drew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fr-s brakes, fr-s differential, fr-s forums, frs brakes, frs differential, frs forum, frs forums, scion fr-s brakes, scion fr-s chassis, scion fr-s diff, scion fr-s forum, scion fr-s forums, scion fr-s suspension, scion frs brakes, scion frs chassis, scion frs differential, scion frs forum, scion frs forums, scion frs suspension