follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 10-25-2019, 02:14 AM   #1
nickl474

Drives: Man
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via ICQ to nickl474 Send a message via AIM to nickl474 Send a message via Yahoo to nickl474
Help car not starting!

Alright guys my cars has been down about a month and I'm getting kind of desperate to get it back need some help diagnosing.
So I needed a new clutch bad and decided to do this job myself. (done it before on other cars and after doing lots of research decided I could on this car also while learning lots about my car) The whole process went very well I followed a forums post about the job which helped a lot. One problem was that I connected the battery 2 minutes too early and while tightening a bolt on the starter I had a spark after hitting the trans with the wrench. (huge mistake on my part I know better).
After the job the car won't start. I started diagnosing checking all the grounds I touched, going over all my work double triple checking everything and nothing seems off. I can hear the fuel pump turning on and the starter seems to be working fine and the belts all move when cranking but it seems to not be getting spark.
I eventually gave it to a shop in hope they could diagnose in more detail and they said my ecu was fried so after getting a brand new ecu and having it professionally programmed it still doesn't start and it's been over a week of them diagnosing since then.
I want to mention that my car was on e85 with the oft tuner but besides that no performance/mechanical mods. I thought maybe the new ecu having a stock tune could prevent it from starting with the e85 but the shops seems to think that wouldn't prevent it from starting and that wouldn't explain it not starting in the first place with the old ecu.
Any help is appreciated and any questions I'm more than happy to answer!
nickl474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 02:15 AM   #2
nickl474

Drives: Man
Send a message via ICQ to nickl474 Send a message via AIM to nickl474 Send a message via Yahoo to nickl474
Help car not starting!

Alright guys my cars has been down about a month and I'm getting kind of desperate to get it back need some help diagnosing.
So I needed a new clutch bad and decided to do this job myself. (done it before on other cars and after doing lots of research decided I could on this car also while learning lots about my car) The whole process went very well I followed a forums post about the job which helped a lot. One problem was that I connected the battery 2 minutes too early and while tightening a bolt on the starter I had a spark after hitting the trans with the wrench. (huge mistake on my part I know better).
After the job the car won't start. I started diagnosing checking all the grounds I touched, going over all my work double triple checking everything and nothing seems off. I can hear the fuel pump turning on and the starter seems to be working fine and the belts all move when cranking but it seems to not be getting spark.
I eventually gave it to a shop in hope they could diagnose in more detail and they said my ecu was fried so after getting a brand new ecu and having it professionally programmed it still doesn't start and it's been over a week of them diagnosing since then.
I want to mention that my car was on e85 with the oft tuner but besides that no performance/mechanical mods. I thought maybe the new ecu having a stock tune could prevent it from starting with the e85 but the shops seems to think that wouldn't prevent it from starting and that wouldn't explain it not starting in the first place with the old ecu.
nickl474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 11:18 PM   #3
natekwondo

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS Manual 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickl474 View Post
My only suggestions would be the following:

1) Check that all your fuses are intact
2) Maybe, a new battery? (i assume that the battery was checked for charge already though)
natekwondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 12:52 PM   #4
RZNT4R
Professional Mechanic

Drives: 2017 86 6MT Oceanic
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
The starter is a direct, non fused wire from the battery terminal, it completely sidesteps all electronic components on the car. Jumping it to ground should only result in big sparks.

I suspect the sparking totally threw you if the trail and you're overlooking something basic, most likely human error. You say you've got an oft, can those things display live data? Check your engine rpm while cranking, if it's zero, chances are something happened to the crank sensor or it's reluctant wheel (both are behind the flywheel) while you were in the vicinity.
RZNT4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 01:28 PM   #5
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Check fuses 30 and 45. They are both part of the starter system. A dead short could easily blow one or both.

https://www.autogenius.info/scion-fr...e-box-diagram/
Old 10-31-2019, 03:26 PM   #6
ActionMaxon
Professional Auto Fixer

Drives: 2016 Oceanic FR-S as Designed
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Has the shop confirmed spark and fuel delivery?

2016 Oceanic
ActionMaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 05:54 PM   #7
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
If your on E85 with stock tune its going to crank fine bit unlikely to start in cold weather as it needs about 50% more fuel delivery at startup.

If you jist replaced clutch im going with guy above its likely the crank sensor or crank wheel installed incorrectly. If so car will crank but wont start as ecu doesnt get a valid crank angle signal. As he said log with oft if you get an rpm reading its likely ok , no rpm reading ie zero then likely crank sensor or wheel insralled incoreectly or sensor bad wiring damaged. It happen a lot when people change clutch
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brz, clutch, e85, frs, no start