follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 09-13-2013, 06:34 AM   #169
regal

Drives: Scion FR-S/Toyota Yaris
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thill View Post
My buddy is a big Subaru/WRX fanatic and is now on his fourth since I have known him. He mods them, tracks them, beats on them, and they have been very solid. Granted he gets rid of them when a new model is released (so well before 100K miles), but they seem pretty solid. There are always issues with every car, especially sports cars that get beat on, but Subaru typically has a solid reputation for reliability, quality, and safety.
But Subaru boxer engines are different and have quirks.
I think anyone who owns an Subaru engine should spend an hour reading this page. http://allwheeldriveauto.com/subaru-...ained-part-ii/
I don't think all these people are FOS and the shop is considered one of the best in the world. People actually ship their Subaru's from the east coast just to get a good head gasket replacement. The Subaru guru hints that the real issue is the OBDII tuning. Maybe I am missing something but this is just the tip of the iceberg I've what I've found reaching Subaru engines from a long time Toyota and Honda owner perspective.

Here's an FAQ with 500 THREADS on headgasket problems.
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...gasket-issues/

Then there was the catalytic converter/turbo failures on the Foresters, the WRX ringland issues, the list is long.

Its just not stuff you hear about with Toyotas. Where there's smoke there's fire.

With this car we are lucky with the early aftermarket support, catless headers and a good tune should make this a long lasting Subaru. The chassis/suspension should last indefinitely, the aisin tranny has a good track record in other cars, and the rear diff is well proven.

Mods:
Clear fender side lights
Tactrix ZA1JB01C 2014 Calib
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to regal For This Useful Post:
WolfpackS2k (09-13-2013)
Old 09-13-2013, 08:59 AM   #170
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
But Subaru boxer engines are different and have quirks.
I think anyone who owns an Subaru engine should spend an hour reading this page. http://allwheeldriveauto.com/subaru-...ained-part-ii/
I don't think all these people are FOS and the shop is considered one of the best in the world. People actually ship their Subaru's from the east coast just to get a good head gasket replacement. The Subaru guru hints that the real issue is the OBDII tuning. Maybe I am missing something but this is just the tip of the iceberg I've what I've found reaching Subaru engines from a long time Toyota and Honda owner perspective.

Here's an FAQ with 500 THREADS on headgasket problems.
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...gasket-issues/

Then there was the catalytic converter/turbo failures on the Foresters, the WRX ringland issues, the list is long.

Its just not stuff you hear about with Toyotas. Where there's smoke there's fire.

With this car we are lucky with the early aftermarket support, catless headers and a good tune should make this a long lasting Subaru. The chassis/suspension should last indefinitely, the aisin tranny has a good track record in other cars, and the rear diff is well proven.
Apparently you never heard of the Toyota engine sludge issue that Toyoya denied for years and then finally settled out of court on? 2.5 million people? Thousands upon thousands denied warranty claims and had to replace thier engines out of pocket? This was worse than just a head gasket or ringlet issue.

We can play this game all day long for any car manufacturer. There are always going to a percentage of issues. The problem is you think this applies to all Subaru cars, and it does not. Case in point the DI issue which you claimed affected everyone before 30K miles. Well, we know have confirmation this is just not true.
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:23 AM   #171
regal

Drives: Scion FR-S/Toyota Yaris
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Apparently you never heard of the Toyota engine sludge issue that Toyoya denied for years and then finally settled out of court on? 2.5 million people? Thousands upon thousands denied warranty claims and had to replace thier engines out of pocket? This was worse than just a head gasket or ringlet issue.

We can play this game all day long for any car manufacturer. There are always going to a percentage of issues. The problem is you think this applies to all Subaru cars, and it does not. Case in point the DI issue which you claimed affected everyone before 30K miles. Well, we know have confirmation this is just not true.

Subaru engines are not junk, in fact if you had read the link I posted the Subaru shop finally came up with a solution and are seeing 300k mile customers.

The DI issue affects 2012 build date owners who drive in the power band on/off throttle, this is fully explained in Mike's thread. The solution is a tune and sacrificing warranty.

The point is you have to identify and accept issues and react.

Mods:
Clear fender side lights
Tactrix ZA1JB01C 2014 Calib
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:32 AM   #172
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
Subaru engines are not junk, in fact if you had read the link I posted the Subaru shop finally came up with a solution and are seeing 300k mile customers.

The DI issue affects 2012 build date owners who drive in the power band on/off throttle, this is fully explained in Mike's thread. The solution is a tune and sacrificing warranty.

The point is you have to identify and accept issues and react.
And my point is that this is true of any manufacturer. Especially when dealing with sports cars that get tracked hard and beat on.

There is no such thing as a bulletproof car. This is why there are warranties, and lawyers.
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:41 AM   #173
PR FR-S

Drives: 2013 FR-S, Asphalt
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
And my point is that this is true of any manufacturer. Especially when dealing with sports cars that get tracked hard and beat on.

There is no such thing as a bulletproof car. This is why there are warranties, and lawyers.
Yeap, lawyers, one of them right here...
PR FR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 08:36 PM   #174
mwjcyber

Drives: 13' Subaru BRZ Limited SWP 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Scions looming demise...

People unable to foresee the future...

09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by frs10 View Post
im pretty sure toyota will rehaul before they get rid of a brand completely... especially after the announcement of all these new scion cars...
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcm47 View Post
Scion isn't going to get cut anytime soon. Toyota isn't a brand that needs a government bailout to keep them from going bankrupt. Stop comparing it to Saturn or Pontiac. Toyota can hold their own and scion losing a few car sales isn't hurting them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ric342 View Post
scion is a brand that I take pride in, they striped the car down so that you can mod it the way that you want without giving the dealers the opportunity to bumping the price much. I am proud to own a scion fr-s it symbolizes my individuality
People who do forsee the future (me)...

09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwjcyber View Post
I'm reading lots of delusions about Scion. No way that brand is still around in 5 years.

In the 90's Toyota was cool with the MR2, Celica, and Supra. Toyota will release the new Supra and MR2 type of car, rebadge the FRS, and dump Scion.
Quote:
^ @thill Exactly

To add fact to my prior statement that "No way Scion's around in 5 years." lets look at this rationally.
  1. Automakers are having a record year, meanwhile Scion's sales are falling, and without the FRS they'd be tragic.
  2. Scion makes up only 3% of Toyota's sales, and now defunct auto brands have shown us at Scion's current sales numbers, they're losing Toyota money.
  3. Toyota's letting dealers walk away from Scion, and no new models or refreshes are planned for the near future.
  4. Then there's the whole being ranked dead last in JD Power rankings debacle.
  5. Scion's target demographic is still largely underemployed or unemployed, and lots that do have jobs cant afford a new car or as the media has pointed out repeatedly, they're choosing not to spend money on cars.
Strategically Scion doesn't buy Toyota anything anymore. At this point it's only losing money, its image is tarnished, and its customer base is thin. Other automakers have proven lower end segments such as Scion aren't necessary. Nissan, Honda, Ford and GM are doing just fine without one.

Sounds like an auto brand that's on its way out.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
"New car sales jumped 17 percent to 1.5 million in August, their highest level in more than six years. Toyota, Ford, Nissan, Honda, Chrysler and General Motors all posted double-digit gains over last August."

Auto Sales Rebound to Pre-Recession Levels
ABCnews - September 4, 2013
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireS...ugust-20151467

"Toyota has tried practically everything, but it looks like the Scion brand finally is running out of gas. So the company is going to let dealers walk away from this once-promising marque without penalty."

"Scion sales were only 41,300 vehicles through July of this year, down by nearly 2 percent from a year ago. And July sales were down by 9 percent year-to-year."

"Scion’s early product successes encouraged more Toyota dealers to jump into the game. Now, many of them are wishing they hadn’t."

Toyota Allows Dealers To Walk Away From Sagging Scion Brand
Forbes - Aug 19, 2013
http://www.forbes.com/sites/dalebuss...scion-brand-2/

"Scion sales through August were down 1.6 percent from a year earlier. At this pace, this year's Scion sales will be only about 40 percent of that of the brand's peak year in 2006."

No new Scion models soon despite falling US sales: Toyota executive
Reuters-Sep 5, 2013
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...98414120130905

"The share of new cars purchased by those aged 18-34 dropped 30% in the last five years"

"Some say the economy is mostly to blame, but others say the trend could be part of larger social shifts. One reason is demographic: The re-urbanization of America is giving more people access to public transportation. But mostly it's the explosion of social media. Car ownership just may not be as socially important as it used to be."

Young Americans ditch the car
CNN Money - September 17, 2012
http://money.cnn.com/2012/09/17/news...ars/index.html
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mwjcyber For This Useful Post:
FRSBRZGT86FAN (02-04-2016), raven1231 (02-04-2016), rcm47 (02-05-2016), soulreapersteve (02-04-2016)
Old 02-04-2016, 08:44 PM   #175
raven1231

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S, 2016 DGM WRX
Thanked 3,118 Times in 1,667 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:

People who do forsee the future (me)...

09-2013
AWD? Turbo? Give us your knowledge!
raven1231 is offline   Reply With Quote