follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 02-16-2015, 10:58 AM   #1
dmarkey

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Seat bracket options to lower seat height

Here's my problem: I'm 6'2" with a tall torso (32" inseam) and need to sit at least another inch lower in the car to be at the optimal seating position. This would allow me to fit comfortably with a helmet and I would also have better visibility.

Here's my goal: I'd like to find a way to source parts from a right hand drive country so that I can use a non-adjustable left seat frame with factory parts. Plus this way I can keep my factory parts in case I ever decide to switch it back.

As you can see from the picture below (sourced on here from @MicheleAbbate's part out thread - I'll remove it if you'd like) the passenger seat sits lower by a pretty decent amount. Having the adjustment available on the driver's seat means it doesn't have the range to drop as low. If the adjustment can be removed and the seat can safely be dropped to the same level that would be best, but I doubt that's possible.

So I'm wondering a few things... Has anyone done this yet? If so, I'd love any input you can provide. Does anyone know of good websites to use to buy OEM Subaru/Toyota parts in a RHD country? I figure I'd have to buy the lower frame and any trim pieces mounted to it. If you have input on this I'm all ears.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:16 PM   #2
wootwoot

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Interested in any results as I am in the same boat...
wootwoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 03:35 PM   #3
MicheleAbbate

Drives: Grr Racing FRS & BRZ
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to MicheleAbbate
why don't you just install a buddy club low seat rail kit?

http://www.soloperformance.com/Buddy...-_p_11499.html
Old 02-17-2015, 03:40 PM   #4
swarb

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,271 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Are the stock seats side mounts or bottom mounts? hmmmm I am interested in results also.
swarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 02:32 AM   #5
Super Wabbit

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MicheleAbbate View Post
why don't you just install a buddy club low seat rail kit?

http://www.soloperformance.com/Buddy...-_p_11499.html
I'm also interested in this thread as I'm virtually the same dimensions as the OP. Will the Buddy Club rail work with the stock seats? How low will this drop the seat?
Super Wabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 11:00 AM   #6
dmarkey

I am nearly positive that the stock seats are bottom mount. I haven't ever heard of aftermarket brackets working on stock seats, but I appreciate the input. Part of why I considered RHD brackets is to retain the OEM look and safety features.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:03 AM   #7
dmarkey

@Super_Wabbit Since you're so close to me, would you consider splitting shipping if we both bought parts from overseas?
Old 02-23-2015, 03:39 PM   #8
Super Wabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarkey View Post
@Super_Wabbit Since you're so close to me, would you consider splitting shipping if we both bought parts from overseas?
PMed

I went and hopped in my car just now and simply eye-balling the level it looks like the driver's seat is as low or slightly lower than the passenger's seat. So do you think the seat would sit even lower if the elevation mechanism is removed? The more I research about this the more I'm questioning just how much more room we can get out of just stock parts. I haven't take a close look at both seat rails yet but maybe it's time I grab a tape measure and take some measurements.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:41 PM   #9
perryair
junior mafia

Drives: ‘20 sti limited
Quote:
Here's my goal: I'd like to find a way to source parts from a right hand drive country so that I can use a non-adjustable left seat frame with factory parts. Plus this way I can keep my factory parts in case I ever decide to switch it back.

So I'm wondering a few things... Has anyone done this yet? If so, I'd love any input you can provide. Does anyone know of good websites to use to buy OEM Subaru/Toyota parts in a RHD country? I figure I'd have to buy the lower frame and any trim pieces mounted to it. If you have input on this I'm all ears.
its funny, there have been a few posts on folks trying to do the opposite and have a RHD driver rail and seat base installed on their passenger seat so that the passenger can move their seat up for a shorter spouse or something along those lines.

i'm also interested in doing that reverse so that the passenger seat can move upward so that there is foot room for the rear passenger side.

every thread i've seen though so far is unresolved, with folks trying to get it set up but no luck and/or no update if they ever did have success.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:03 AM   #10
dmarkey

@Super_Wabbit I can tell a difference if I set the seats up at the exact same spot and seatback angle and then sit in the passenger seat. For me it's enough to give me a lower (less restricted) view out of the car as well as gaining just enough room above my head. We're not talking about dropping to the floor here, just getting 1-2" lower.
@perryair I've seen the same, and almost commented on those when searching, but I figured my goal was a bit off topic and as you said nobody seemed to be getting anywhere with it. I think the problem is getting the exact part numbers figured out and finding a trustworthy (and reasonably priced) place to order them from.

I'll try to get some actual measurements to verify, but I'm pretty sure the stock RHD seat parts will get the seat height right where I want it. I also work for a dealer network that has a Subaru store close to me. I'll try to get with a parts guru to see if they have any insight or at least can gather up the right part numbers for me.
Old 02-25-2015, 01:45 PM   #11
jim1234664

Drives: 2015 brz
Very interested in doing this as well, 6'4" and my seat is just a bit too high. Currently working for FHI (Subaru parent company if anyone isn't familiar) and am going back to japan in the next couple months. The factory has a Subaru dealer out front. I may be able to bring back a few of these at a discount if we can confirm there is a reasonable amount of lowering possible and all else fails.
jim1234664 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 03:40 PM   #12
dmarkey

@jim1234664 I'm very interested in purchasing whatever is needed for my car, so if you think you have a connection PM me and I'll give you my email address so that we can stay in touch while you're researching this overseas.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:48 PM   #13
wootwoot

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Let me know too! This would be awesome.
wootwoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 12:39 AM   #14
Super Wabbit

Quote:
@Super_Wabbit I can tell a difference if I set the seats up at the exact same spot and seatback angle and then sit in the passenger seat. For me it's enough to give me a lower (less restricted) view out of the car as well as gaining just enough room above my head. We're not talking about dropping to the floor here, just getting 1-2" lower.
@perryair I've seen the same, and almost commented on those when searching, but I figured my goal was a bit off topic and as you said nobody seemed to be getting anywhere with it. I think the problem is getting the exact part numbers figured out and finding a trustworthy (and reasonably priced) place to order them from.

I'll try to get some actual measurements to verify, but I'm pretty sure the stock RHD seat parts will get the seat height right where I want it. I also work for a dealer network that has a Subaru store close to me. I'll try to get with a parts guru to see if they have any insight or at least can gather up the right part numbers for me.
Have you had a chance to take any measurements?