follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 06-27-2023, 11:08 AM   #11257
Qwimby1

Drives: 14 FRS Monogram, 05 Mazdasped Miata
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
throttle setting

Mine has been in and working fine for about 10,000 miles. I have the throttle setting at 60 and 80%, and can monitor it easily with my OBD. However it doesn't totally fit my driving style with that setting and I'm wondering what others have done. I rarely floor it on takeoff, but use the throttle sequentially, and by the time I get close to 60% level it's usually time to shift. So I don't engage the ESC very often, except deliberately. I'm thinking of moving it down to 50 and 70 just out of curiosity because it might be nice to have that little extra kick as I increase throttle. Just wondering how everybody else has there's set.
Qwimby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 02:47 AM   #11258
Gums

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
I'd grab the proceed if it's still available. Fairly easy to install and transforms the car.
Had a custom tune coming in at around 2500 revs. Felt like you just had a bigger motor.
Happy to send the proceed tune if you want it
Gums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 10:19 AM   #11259
WNDSRFR

Drives: FR-S,GTI
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
This is unbelievable!
This thread has been inactive for months now and my ESC has been working flawlessly.
As soon as the thread gets revived my ESC quit working. It would engage for about a second and then quit. I thought maybe my batteries were getting bad but they're not that old.
So I opened the hood to discover that the battery hold down clamp had loosened and the batteries shifted and disconnected the .5 battery connection.
Reconnected it and replaced the clamp and everything is good as new.

Yeah!
WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 08:02 PM   #11260
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,769 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNDSRFR View Post
This is unbelievable!
This thread has been inactive for months now and my ESC has been working flawlessly.
As soon as the thread gets revived my ESC quit working. It would engage for about a second and then quit. I thought maybe my batteries were getting bad but they're not that old.
So I opened the hood to discover that the battery hold down clamp had loosened and the batteries shifted and disconnected the .5 battery connection.
Reconnected it and replaced the clamp and everything is good as new.

Yeah!
The lack of support and sales it killed the idea, glad it work it out for you
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 05:15 PM   #11261
Qwimby1

Grermlin occurred

I noticed that it hasn't felt its usual peppy self recently. I have my OBD set to show oil temp and absolute throttle position. I didn't notice until last night that when I floor it, my throttle position only shows 80%. I'm not getting any CELs, and the idle is okay, but I think I better get down to the store and get some throttle body cleaner. I'm also going to turn off the ESC until I get this figured out because if I'm getting messed up AFR, I sure don't want to be pushing more boost into it.

if that doesn't fix it, things could get a little complicated. The Toyota parts site shows a throttle position sensor for $81 and change. My local Toyota dealer couldn't find the part number and couldn't find any such part. I think there are some though on aftermarket sites and there may be one with a Subaru part number. It's possible that the TBS can only be bought as part of the entire throttle body for more than 500. Not certain of that though.

I'll see what a TB cleaning accomplishes
The Following User Says Thank You to Qwimby1 For This Useful Post:
Target70 (07-02-2023)
Old 07-01-2023, 08:22 PM   #11262
Qwimby1

TBS

Just occurred to me when I pull the compressor off and get a look at the butterfly itself I'll have a pretty good idea if it's opening 100%. I suppose the OBD could be malfunctioning. After having two neck fusions I can't swivel my head around down there and can't see some of the plumbing or the fuse box. Sometimes I can handle it with a mirror.
Old 07-02-2023, 10:28 AM   #11263
WNDSRFR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwimby1 View Post
Mine has been in and working fine for about 10,000 miles. I have the throttle setting at 60 and 80%, and can monitor it easily with my OBD. However it doesn't totally fit my driving style with that setting and I'm wondering what others have done. I rarely floor it on takeoff, but use the throttle sequentially, and by the time I get close to 60% level it's usually time to shift. So I don't engage the ESC very often, except deliberately. I'm thinking of moving it down to 50 and 70 just out of curiosity because it might be nice to have that little extra kick as I increase throttle. Just wondering how everybody else has there's set.
I don't know what OBD you are using but I know that on my OFT the Throttle Position never goes above 95% even though the Excel Pedal shows 100%. As far as throttle setting goes, I have mine set to engage at full throttle. Pedal to the floor! Whenever I need full power I step on the gas to the floor.
Why would anybody want the compressor to engage at anything other than full speed? The engine has adequate power to coast along just fine for most of the time but when you need to pass or merge with traffic it's great to have the extra oomph when you need it.
The Following User Says Thank You to WNDSRFR For This Useful Post:
Qwimby1 (07-02-2023)
Old 07-02-2023, 11:08 AM   #11264
Qwimby1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNDSRFR View Post
I don't know what OBD you are using but I know that on my OFT the Throttle Position never goes above 95% even though the Excel Pedal shows 100%. As far as throttle setting goes, I have mine set to engage at full throttle. Pedal to the floor! Whenever I need full power I step on the gas to the floor.
Why would anybody want the compressor to engage at anything other than full speed? The engine has adequate power to coast along just fine for most of the time but when you need to pass or merge with traffic it's great to have the extra oomph when you need it.

it's sort of a function of how I personally use the throttle. There are occasions when I'll floor it off the line, but usually I use it sequentially because I know the throttle is ahead of the torque the engine is making, if that makes any sense. When I installed my ESC I followed the website instructions and set it at 60 and 80. I know at that point after the 5 pound boost kicked in I still had throttle left. Now it takes basically flat on the floor to get the second boost gain, which makes me wonder about the OBD reading. I honestly hadn't paid that much attention before, but it seems to me that I would see 100% on the OBD, which I don't now. Haven't had time to pull the compressor yet but I'll get it done in a day or so.
Old 07-12-2023, 10:12 AM   #11265
Texas2016Frs
Bottled FRS

Drives: 2016 manual frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I am about to fit a torque amp to my car. Anyone know the ID of the inlet pipe on the engine side?
Texas2016Frs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 12:37 PM   #11266
Qwimby1

Sorry, can't help with your question, but would be very interested in your impression of the Torque Amp and description of the install.
Old 07-21-2023, 08:54 PM   #11267
Qwimby1

Now I have a series of problems. I first noticed that my throttle position would only reach about 80.5% on my OBD. I caught a case of COVID and didn't drive or work on it for a while. I figured if the AFR was screwed up, I didn't want to be running the blower, so I turned it off the times I did drive the car. I plan to pull the compressor off, clean the throttle body and see if it's opening fully. But I hadn't done that because of the COVID. I had it out tonight, and turned the switch back on, but I was getting a pretty pathetic reaction. Voltage would drop from 28.3 down to about maybe 20 and then come right back up to 28.3 and I was getting little or no boost despite holding full throttle. I suspect it's low batteries because the car wasn't driven much and when it was driven the system was turned off. When I got to the garage tonight I got the blower to engage in both speeds with the ignition off, but it didn't sound like it's usual strong self, though it did pull down to 18V. I will trickle charge it tonight and see what it looks like tomorrow.

I did find that despite only getting 80.5% throttle, the AFR was 11.5, so I'm not concerned about running too lean. I'm hoping the garage is cool enough tomorrow so I can get things pulled apart and see what I'm dealing with. I don't think just a dirty throttle body would inhibit intake from 100% down to 80.5.
Old 07-22-2023, 01:55 PM   #11268
WNDSRFR

Yeah,
It sounds like your batteries might be weak. It's a little strange that you could pull the voltage down to 18V. I don't think I've ever been below 20V.
My starter battery is getting weak, afraid it's going to fail me soon so I ordered this one this time. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ie=UTF8&th=1is
It's 20 amps instead of 18 and cost only $40.00.
The Following User Says Thank You to WNDSRFR For This Useful Post:
Qwimby1 (07-22-2023)
Old 07-22-2023, 02:28 PM   #11269
Qwimby1

Yeah, looks like batteries. They're maybe 2 yrs old. I charged the system overnight, and I can get the compressor to spin a little but not for long. It was that time running without the system turned on that obviously killed them off. I don't know if driving the car for a while with the system on will recharge them, but I'll give it a try. I think I tried using those batteries you showed before but there was something in the connections that didn't match up. Don't recall. I have Ver 2.5.

I was planning to clean the throttle body today but it's still too hot in my Florida garage. OBD continues to show max throttle 80.5% with AFR 11.5. Wondering if it could be the TPS. MAF maybe?
Old 07-22-2023, 03:56 PM   #11270
Qwimby1

Didn't realize you were talking about starter battery. That'll probably work for me when my PC680 gives out.

Tags
26$ / wtq, affordable boost, better than turbo, brz electric supercharger, do want, dumbass freddy, electric shrimpage, electric supercharger, electronic supercharger, epic thread tag, fanboy circle jerk!, freddy keyboardwarrior, frs electric supercharger, get a real blower, haters gonna hate, hows the battery life?, lol, moar powa, nos with battery, one gear race champion, only pulls hard once, phantom charge, pm-robftss to order!, release date=not yet, release it already!, released!, rice, shut up and take our $$$, snake oil claims, street only, super pursuit mode, the price isn't known yet, tq300 plzkkthxbai, wooshy noise, yes turbo is better, yes turbo is expensive