follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 09-10-2015, 03:58 PM   #15
SisterBlue22

Drives: "Frances" - 2013 FR-S in Firestorm
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I have had a hit on the edge like that before (not this car yet) and there is nothing they can do to repair it.
That top edge of the windshield seems a bit more vulnerable than some other cars I've had, as there's no rubber seal across the top - the upper edge of the glass is exposed.
Old 09-10-2015, 04:01 PM   #16
SisterBlue22

Drives: "Frances" - 2013 FR-S in Firestorm
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliryx View Post
thats a good thing it didnt go through your windshield that would have been fu*king crazy.
Believe me, I'm happy too. The adrenaline spike that hit my system, between seeing it flying right at my face, and then hearing the awful sound it made when it hit the roof, took the rest of the drive into work to even begin to calm down. My heart was still pounding as I was walking into work 25 minutes later.
Old 09-10-2015, 04:10 PM   #17
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Drives: CWP S.B.
Thanked 1,293 Times in 873 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterBlue22 View Post
I drive ~100 miles/day, and with every vehicle I've ever owned, I've been a target for windshield damage and other miscellaneous flying debris.

Some of my most memorable occasions that all happened in my 2008 Scion xB...

I once took an iron pipe to the windshield... it flew off a plumbing truck and thank goddess it hit the long way instead of end-on. That left a foot long horizontal dent in the glass...barely missed coming all the way through.

I also took a tree trunk to the windshield once, off a landscaping trailer...it was maybe two feet long and about 6" in diameter, and that one did hit end-on, and punched into the glass, but also didn't quite come all the way through.

An IKEA box once flew out of a pickup truck bed in front of me and bounced off my hood in a flurry of "snow" from the styrofoam, but thankfully left no damage.

I watched a ladder come sliding off the top of the rack on top of a work truck right in front of me on my way down a freeway on-ramp, with concrete walls on both sides and nowhere to go...ended up going over it the short way. That one was in my RAV4 so thankfully I had some ground clearance.

As you can see, I'm basically a moving target, and today was no exception. Trouble just seems to find me!!!

Man!! Even Death can't kill you!! IT must have made you stronger!!!

Your everyday life can be a bit less final destinationyyyyy.
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 04:12 PM   #18
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,284 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
That top edge of the windshield seems a bit more vulnerable than some other cars I've had, as there's no rubber seal across the top - the upper edge of the glass is exposed.
Yep. I have had a few cars like this and every one of them seems to have taken a hit there.
Old 09-10-2015, 07:23 PM   #19
dnieves

Drives: FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
I drive ~100 miles/day, and with every vehicle I've ever owned, I've been a target for windshield damage and other miscellaneous flying debris.

I once took an iron pipe to the windshield... it flew off a plumbing truck and thank goddess it hit the long way instead of end-on. That left a foot long horizontal dent in the glass...barely missed coming all the way through.

I also took a tree trunk to the windshield once, off a landscaping trailer...it was maybe two feet long and about 6" in diameter, and that one did hit end-on, and punched into the glass, but also didn't quite come all the way through.

An IKEA box once flew out of a pickup truck bed in front of me and bounced off my hood in a flurry of "snow" from the styrofoam, but thankfully left no damage.

I watched a ladder come sliding off the top of the rack on top of a work truck right in front of me on my way down a freeway on-ramp, with concrete walls on both sides and nowhere to go...ended up going over it the short way. That one was in my RAV4 so thankfully I had some ground clearance.

As you can see, I'm basically a moving target, and today was no exception. Trouble just seems to find me!!!
Ever heard of "Final Destination"?
dnieves is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dnieves For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (09-10-2015)
Old 09-10-2015, 07:29 PM   #20
Astral Abyss

Drives: 2016 Halo FR-S
Good ol Arizona. Never seen highways with more junk, garbage, tire debris (gators), rocks, and plain old trash laying around on them. It's absolutely insane. I just picked up a nice chip and crack in my windshield yesterday from a rock. Had the car a whole 6 weeks. I HATE driving on I-10!
Astral Abyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 07:30 PM   #21
Hotrodheart

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
While driving to work today in heavy traffic, a jackass in a duelly ahead of me one lane over couldn't keep his ass in his HOV lane, and drifted over half into my lane. As he did, he kicked up a softball sized piece of jagged black metal that was laying between the lanes, and of course it came right at me. I thought it was coming through my windshield and I actually ducked reflexively, but it ended up clipping the top edge of my windshield and bouncing off the roof. Worst sound ever.

It left a 2" crease/dent, and I'm not sure what to do about it. I'll need to scrub off the black streak it left to see if it went through the paint. If not, I'll probably leave it. But if it broke through the paint, I'll need to have it fixed. Any idea what this fix would cost? My insurance deductible is $500 so it's probably not worth making a claim.

I'm not happy. Here's some photos - I swear the car isn't as dirty as it looks in some of the shots. It did rain lightly this morning but it was clean before that, I promise!! I tried to get different angles but it's hard to see how deep the crease/dent is in any of the photos.

Attachment 119906

Attachment 119910

Attachment 119907

Attachment 119908

Attachment 119909
If you think that's bad, you should see @Tcoat 's car.
Hotrodheart is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hotrodheart For This Useful Post:
SisterBlue22 (09-11-2015), Tcoat (09-10-2015)
Old 09-10-2015, 07:34 PM   #22
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotrodheart View Post
If you think that's bad, you should see @Tcoat 's car.
Come on man you are getting lazy with the colour. And you were doing so well.
Old 09-10-2015, 07:35 PM   #23
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral Abyss View Post
Good ol Arizona. Never seen highways with more junk, garbage, tire debris (gators), rocks, and plain old trash laying around on them. It's absolutely insane. I just picked up a nice chip and crack in my windshield yesterday from a rock. Had the car a whole 6 weeks. I HATE driving on I-10!
Ever drive through Detroit?
Old 09-10-2015, 07:40 PM   #24
Hotrodheart

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Quote:
Come on man you are getting lazy with the colour. And you were doing so well.
Amigo, there are only so many hot lava FR-S's smashed to smithereens out there. Besides, I'm too lazy to photoshop it. We'll just have to use our imaginations.
Hotrodheart is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hotrodheart For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (09-10-2015)
Old 09-10-2015, 07:42 PM   #25
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotrodheart View Post
Amigo, there are only so many hot lava FR-S's smashed to smithereens out there. Besides, I'm too lazy to photoshop it. We'll just have to use our imaginations.
Old 09-10-2015, 07:45 PM   #26
dnieves

Drives: FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I wish I bought a Humvee, these projectile stories are bezerk!
dnieves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 09:21 PM   #27
ntron1
Sarcastic Bastard

Drives: '13 DGM BRZ, '13 Mini, 1999 Blazer
Quote:

You should get yourself a comfy pair of hiking shoes and consider walking to work....
Old 09-10-2015, 09:23 PM   #28
ntron1
Sarcastic Bastard

Drives: '13 DGM BRZ, '13 Mini, 1999 Blazer
Quote:
Ever drive through Detroit?
Totaled a rental @ Middlebelt Rd when a flatbed lost a 3/8" thick 4' x 8' piece of plate steel and it bounced off the road and can openered my roof. The rental company wanted to know if I got the trucks license plate #....lol