follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List
Crosscharge, go_a_way1, MisterSheep, poudre

Old 03-01-2014, 07:42 PM   #6273
Nitesh31

Drives: Black BRZ Black STI
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by t.chk View Post
You can always hit a deer like I did and threaten death upon the body shop if they drill the bumper after completion.

But, yea that must have an awful thing to do yourself...its like dropping a computer onto concrete on purpose...
Or I could get those bumper plugs but idk. It's more like dropping a baby on concrete
Nitesh31 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nitesh31 For This Useful Post:
t.chk (03-01-2014)
Old 03-01-2014, 08:06 PM   #6274
dbrandt01

Drives: none
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Supposed to be "SE86"

This one I just thought came out well.

dbrandt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dbrandt01 For This Useful Post:
CBRZY (03-02-2014)
Old 03-01-2014, 11:20 PM   #6275
Evil Jesus

Drives: '13 FR-S Raven 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCsubaruBRZ View Post
took out my rear seats and passenger seat... roomy
Got any pics with the passenger side out?
Evil Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 12:53 AM   #6276
Ganthrithor

Drives: '13 BRZ, '06 997, Other Things(TM)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
As it was pouring rain today in Southern California (a rare occurrence!), KelvinBRZ and I took the opportunity to find an empty piece of pavement and have some fun sliding around!
@KelvinBRZ found a great spot for sideways action: I knew from google maps that there was some open tarmac, but was a little concerned since it looked a bit tight on the map. When I arrived there to meet him it turned out that the old aircraft hangar that was shown on google maps / street view had been torn down, leaving just empty tarmac and a slightly raised section of smooth, painted concrete slab where the hangar had been! The smooth concrete surface was stupidly slippery in the wet, and we were able to get super sideways at well under 30mph. I'd say we were mostly doing around 20mph on corner entry and still getting very sideways.

It was great! There was no wear to speak of on the cars (though they did get pretty Subaru-filthy) since there was no grip to be had, and the space was great-- plenty of room to slide around and spin out with nothing to hit. We got about 45 minutes of sliding in before an airport patrol officer politely asked us to leave, which we did after collecting our gear and chatting for a while. Still, we got some good oppo practice in and I got to have fun experimenting with handbrake turns.

We both took some video-- I'll let @KelvinBRZ post his videos if he wants but here are mine:

In-car with me (sorry about the giggle soundtrack, but this spot was so absurdly slippery I just couldn't contain myself!):

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q5Or7BYHXA"]Super Skidpad Pt 1: In Which smooth, painted concrete is slightly slippery when wet! - YouTube[/ame]

In-car with KelvinBRZ driving:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFdE1sfOdEY"]Super Skidpad Pt 2: The Re-Skiddening - YouTube[/ame]

Short clip of my car from the outside-- this is one of Kelvins but hopefully he won't mind:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lh9ICJhS2U4"]Ganthrithor's BRZ - YouTube[/ame]

I'd post the second round of in-car from my car (shot from the rear window instead of the dash) but that video is only about two minutes of driving and then us being stopped by the airport patrol and packing up, so not too interesting.

Anyway, we tried to be pretty responsible and at least make the educational aspect of hooning seem ~*plausible*~ to LEOs: I brought some little cones (souvenirs from Skip Barber courses, funnily enough ) so we could mark out a decent reference point for our "corner," we tried to make the most of the space by setting things up so that we'd have a large area for sliding about on in case we ran wide (although cars usually spin to the inside) and we did make an effort to take turns and avoid having two cars on the slidy surface simultaneously.

Anyway, it was totally safe, a lot of fun, and a good learning / practice experience for both of us! It's unfortunate that it was cut short, since it was a great spot and a really safe + fun setup, but we do live in a very litigious society and I can understand that from a legal perspective people can't allow you to continue doing it once they notice you. The officer was totally polite and friendly about it, and even suggested inquiring with the airport to see if they could grant us written permission to use the space again. I think I will follow up though I wouldn't guess our odds of getting written permission are good. Also I don't know how well the space would work without dampness (it doesn't get wet here real often), but we'll see. At least today was fun!

Last edited by Ganthrithor; 03-02-2014 at 01:41 AM.
Ganthrithor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ganthrithor For This Useful Post:
dbrandt01 (03-02-2014), KelvinBRZ (03-02-2014), PollosHermanos (03-02-2014), roroskis (03-02-2014), sprintertrueno86 (03-02-2014), Turkish (03-02-2014)
Old 03-02-2014, 01:07 AM   #6277
AznKirby
Are you 20/20?

Drives: Hopes and dreams
Thanked 1,310 Times in 703 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Sounds like you guys had some fun!!

IG: @MonKehC
AznKirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 01:14 AM   #6278
d3lirious

Drives: brz
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
washed and then went for a quick drive...

d3lirious is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to d3lirious For This Useful Post:
chanomatik (03-03-2014), mjh712 (03-03-2014), sprintertrueno86 (03-02-2014)
Old 03-02-2014, 01:20 AM   #6279
KelvinBRZ
GBS Mafia Member

Drives: with Snow mode on
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganthrithor View Post
As it was pouring rain today in Southern California (a rare occurrence!), KelvinBRZ and I took the opportunity to find an empty piece of pavement and have some fun sliding around!
@KelvinBRZ found a great spot for sideways action: I knew from google maps that there was some open tarmac, but was a little concerned since it looked a bit tight on the map. When I arrived there to meet him it turned out that the old aircraft hangar that was shown on google maps / street view had been torn down, leaving just empty tarmac and a slightly raised section of smooth, painted concrete slab where the hangar had been! The smooth concrete surface was stupidly slippery in the wet, and we were able to get super sideways at well under 30mph. I'd say we were mostly doing around 20mph on corner entry and still getting very sideways.

It was great! There was no wear to speak of on the cars (though they did get pretty Subaru-filthy) since there was no grip to be had, and the space was great-- plenty of room to slide around and spin out with nothing to hit. We got about 45 minutes of sliding in before an airport patrol officer politely asked us to leave, which we did after collecting our gear and chatting for a while. Still, we got some good oppo practice in and I got to have fun experimenting with handbrake turns.

We both took some video-- I'll let KelvinBRZ post his videos if he wants but here are mine:

In-car with me (sorry about the giggle soundtrack, but this spot was so absurdly slippery I just couldn't contain myself!):

I'd post the second round of in-car from my car (shot from the rear window instead of the dash) but that video is only about two minutes of driving and then us being stopped by the airport patrol and packing up, so not too interesting.

Anyway, we tried to be pretty responsible and at least make the educational aspect of hooning seem ~*plausible*~ to LEOs: I brought some little cones (souvenirs from Skip Barber courses, funnily enough ) so we could mark out a decent reference point for our "corner," we tried to make the most of the space by setting things up so that we'd have a large area for sliding about on in case we ran wide (although cars usually spin to the inside) and we did make an effort to take turns and avoid having two cars on the slidy surface simultaneously.

Anyway, it was totally safe, a lot of fun, and a good learning / practice experience for both of us! It's unfortunate that it was cut short, since it was a great spot and a really safe + fun setup, but we do live in a very litigious society and I can understand that from a legal perspective people can't allow you to continue doing it once they notice you. The officer was totally polite and friendly about it, and even suggested inquiring with the airport to see if they could grant us written permission to use the space again. I think I will follow up though I wouldn't guess our odds of getting written permission are good. Also I don't know how well the space would work without dampness (it doesn't get wet here real often), but we'll see. At least today was fun!
I actually enjoyed the giggle soundtrack.. made me laugh when I reviewed your video. I was cracking up when my car spun out sometime within the first five minutes of the first vid.

I never thought how fun sliding around at low speeds would be until today!! Absolute hoot. We did try the "pedal dance" method, which didn't get rid of the ABS, nor did it really do anything noticeable. Maybe there's something about this ice-mode that will never be resolved short of pulling the ABS fuse.

Nevertheless, here's a 13 second video of my car sliding around. Shows how much of a noob I am when it comes to corner entries.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8cUfHFVxOA&feature=share&list=UUnXOvoT12V E5uW6fiqrd-Ug"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8cUfHFVxOA&feature=share&list=UUnXOvoT12V E5uW6fiqrd-Ug[/ame]

GBS Mafia
KelvinBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KelvinBRZ For This Useful Post:
Ganthrithor (03-02-2014), roroskis (03-02-2014)
Old 03-02-2014, 01:23 AM   #6280
ChandlerSwyng

Drives: 2013 Red Subaru Brz
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3lirious View Post
washed and then went for a quick drive...

Link to sideskirts?
ChandlerSwyng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 01:24 AM   #6281
ChandlerSwyng

Drives: 2013 Red Subaru Brz
Installed front lip, rear diffuser, and overpipe Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393741481.163343.jpg
Views: 1288
Size:  239.3 KB
ChandlerSwyng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 01:25 AM   #6282
d3lirious

Drives: brz
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChandlerSwyng View Post
Link to sideskirts?
http://www.japanparts.com/db/parts_d...&SEARCH_page=5
d3lirious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 03:55 AM   #6283
CBRZY

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP (White)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrandt01 View Post
Supposed to be "SE86"

This one I just thought came out well.

Dude what kind of camera?!?! Those are awesome photos
CBRZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 11:22 AM   #6284
2point0

Drives: '13 BRZ Ltd WRB
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRZY View Post
Tripod and long exposures will help with any camera.
2point0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 11:22 AM   #6285
dbrandt01

Drives: none
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRZY View Post

Thank you, I really appreciate that. I was quite proud of how these came out. I have a Canon T3i kit. It came with the 55-250mm lens and the 18-55mm lens.

but yes exactly what @2point0 said, the one with stars was set at 30 seconds, the one with the se86 was set at 5 I believe. Tripod is an absolute must.
dbrandt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 11:56 AM   #6286
bjun

Drives: white premium brz M/T
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Switched my clutch to Exedy Stage 1 to get ready for some FI
So here we are taking off the shifter

Then took off the tranny(pain in the a** and drive shaft)

And picture of the new clutch+flywheel

The Exedy Stage1 Clutch kit feels almost twice as firm as the OEM but not to the point where it's the pain in the butt to drive in traffic. I actually prefer this feel over the OEM clutch. Also I switched out the tranny and differential fluid. Used Redline products.
bjun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bjun For This Useful Post:
Turbo95eg6 (03-02-2014)

Tags
+20 hp, :popcorn:, bragging because we can, brz driving master race, brz whore, damn daniel, dirty frs peasants, fart can, how to waste energy, how to waste money, how to waste time, i like turtles, lazy mods, many tagz, omg pages are fixed…, outlawstar98isanoob, pages are fucked up, pages still fucked, ricers, riflewuzhere