follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 10-13-2020, 09:14 AM   #9059
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,013 Times in 1,457 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quick question for owners. For those who have IC kit is there a quick and easy way to insure the pump is working? I have a suspicion it may not be. Does it make any audiable sounds when the car is turned on to full accessory but no engine? Or should you see evidence in the coolant reservoir for the IC that the pump is working.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 07:02 AM   #9060
BlankHugs

Drives: '13 brz limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
for me i hear a slight whirring sound. you could also feel it vibrant if you touch it and also see movement in the reservoir. did yours take the amount of coolant the instructions specified? i forgot what it was but that could help determine if pump is working properly.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
BlankHugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 07:02 PM   #9061
stockysnail
Just the tip

Drives: 2013 Lightning Red Subaru BRZ Mt Lt
Thanked 1,004 Times in 665 Posts
Mentioned: 176 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflogerzi View Post
Quick question for owners. For those who have IC kit is there a quick and easy way to insure the pump is working? I have a suspicion it may not be. Does it make any audiable sounds when the car is turned on to full accessory but no engine? Or should you see evidence in the coolant reservoir for the IC that the pump is working.

Turn the ignition on but not the car. You'll hear a slight buzz noise where the pump is. You'll also see the liquid in the reservoir move a little. My fuse burnt out and I didn't even notice for many months. I asked the shop to look over it when did my clutch and said the incorrect fuse was in it and it was burnt out. It was the same fuse that came with it so they must have sent it with the wrong one and I was running with it for years like that.
stockysnail is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stockysnail For This Useful Post:
jflogerzi (10-15-2020)
Old 12-28-2020, 07:56 AM   #9062
LOJOKO

Drives: Subaru BRZ 2013 6AT& Honda Odyssey
Garage
I've broken the fuel screw, It only takes 10 Nm to tighten it. Now I know it but too late.
Anybody know how much torque does each bolts of the blower? I mean I need to take the blower apart, fix it and Put it back together. Maybe they're both 10Nm?
Old 01-05-2021, 11:56 PM   #9063
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,013 Times in 1,457 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
I am officially NA again. It was fun while it lasted. Strangely driver the car NA is fun again just really miss that mid range power/tq

2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 11:48 PM   #9064
kev0

Drives: '14
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Anyone know how to manually open the bypass actuator/valve? Need to see if it's acting up. Is it as simple as just pushing up or down on the connector rod/arm?
kev0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 09:34 PM   #9065
kev0

Anyone parting out and has DW 700 or 1050x, let me know. I'll buy em off ya.
Old 01-19-2021, 05:15 AM   #9066
Ads

Drives: 86
Hi all, recently acquired an 86 with a 210 (IC, 75mm pulley). Been learning a lot so far from this thread and the forum in general, so thanks everyone!

When I eventually learned that it was quite crucial to check the SC oil level, I discovered that, lo and behold, it was pretty much bone dry. Got it filled up now and have been checking regularly, so hopefully no damage was done.

Speaking of, it seems as though there is some contention on whether to check the oil on level ground or with the rear jacked up. I assume this stems from the Innovate manual stating that;

Quote:
THE ENGINE SITS AT A REARWARD ANGLE. THIS PREVENTS ACCURATE MEASUREMENT OF THE GEAR OIL WITH THE DIPSTICK AND PROPER DRAINING. WHEN MEASRING OR REPLACING THE SUPERCHARGER OIL LEVEL, ENSURE THE ENGINE IS LEVEL.
whereas the Sprintex manual simply states to;

Quote:
Ensure the vehicle is parked on level ground before checking the oil level.
For the record, I contacted Bullet and Sprintex (Australia) and they both said that level ground was fine and it is not necessary to jack up the rear to check the level. I can't imagine anyone designing an oil chamber/dipstick that would require you to jack up your car in order to accurately check the level...anyway, food for thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOJOKO View Post
I've broken the fuel screw, It only takes 10 Nm to tighten it. Now I know it but too late.
I assume you are talking about the oil dipstick? My dipstick was also previously threaded, which seems to be another common occurrence. Now I can't get it anywhere near 10Nm before it threads. I have been getting it as tight as I can with my fingers for now, anything tighter and it threads.

It seems to be ok for now, but I will have to see how it goes with the pressure once the car is up to scratch for the track and it is being pushed.. I am guessing I may just have to sort this out before then though..

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOJOKO View Post
Anybody know how much torque does each bolts of the blower? I mean I need to take the blower apart, fix it and Put it back together. Maybe they're both 10Nm?
Do you mean for the bolts on the actual unit itself? I would say your best bet is to contact (email) Sprintex directly and ask them for those specs as they are not in the installation manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflogerzi View Post
I am officially NA again. It was fun while it lasted. Strangely driver the car NA is fun again just really miss that mid range power/tq
If you don't mind me asking, what were your main reasons for returning to NA?
Ads is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ads For This Useful Post:
LOJOKO (05-28-2021)
Old 01-19-2021, 05:34 AM   #9067
kev0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ads View Post

For the record, I contacted Bullet and Sprintex (Australia) and they both said that level ground was fine and it is not necessary to jack up the rear to check the level. I can't imagine anyone designing an oil chamber/dipstick that would require you to jack up your car in order to accurately check the level...anyway, food for thought.
Interesting! I was getting tired of jacking the rear of the car up to check the oil. Also, may I ask how you checked the oil? I find that my dipstick has a hard time being able to show the level of it, so I've been using a Syringe like this one.

But that gets tedious as well since the hose will always trap some oil in there. Might just go back to the good ol' dipstick way.
Old 01-19-2021, 07:31 AM   #9068
Ads

Drives: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev0 View Post
Also, may I ask how you checked the oil? I find that my dipstick has a hard time being able to show the level of it, so I've been using a Syringe like this one.
Geez mate you're dedicated! That sounds like quite the mission every time to check the level!

I also found it very difficult to read the level on the dipstick the first time I tried to check. I ended up using a combination of tips from Bullet and I believe someone from this thread. As soon as I unscrew/remove the dipstick, I hold it horizontal and rest the top/dry end on the edge of a paper towel. Then, slide it across the paper towel moving toward the bottom/level notch. You should then be able to see more clearly when the oil makes contact with the paper towel in relation to the level on the dipstick. I find this method works best for me but you could also simply place the horizontal dipstick on the paper towel and see where the oil marks the paper for your reading.

I hope my explanation was clear enough and not too confusing!

Make sure you wipe the dipstick clean first before doing this. Also, be careful to hold the clean dipstick as straight/steady as possible when screwing it back in and out, to ensure you don't pick up any oil along the dipstick from the housing/threads etc. In saying all that, I have found that if the dipstick is hard to read, then it generally means the level is too low. Once the level reaches the mark/notch it will collect there and should be easier to see.
Ads is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ads For This Useful Post:
kev0 (01-20-2021)
Old 01-20-2021, 06:53 AM   #9069
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ads View Post
Just to note that this compressor won't only be used for the BRZ/86 so the dipstick setup won't be simply for the FA20 and that the angle on the engine won't be the same for all uses.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 04:37 PM   #9070
tzbang

Drives: 2013 GT86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Does anyone have any tips on how to get ALL of the coolant into the SC system? I burped it, squeezed the hoses (where I could) ran it, blew into it etc etc. I got most of it in and I have been driving it since for about 6 months, filling occasionally. But I still have about 1/4L.. what's that.. 0.26 quarts? Left to go in. And the instructions were quite specific that ALL the coolant needed to be in the system.
tzbang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 07:25 PM   #9071
TorontoB

Drives: Brz
Has anyone tried 22 psi? Combined 200 shot of nitrous?
TorontoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 07:46 PM   #9072
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoB View Post
Has anyone tried 22 psi? Combined 200 shot of nitrous?
I'm assuming you are talking about the sprintex 335?
Stacked with a 200 shot would work great once for about 5 seconds, then time for an engine rebuild.

The 335 unless you get the largest pulley and detune it, already needs a built block. Pushing the 335 at 22 psi with all bolt on / supporting mods / E85 should get you to 400whp with 300+ ft lbs. This alone is plenty for the chassis / weight and would be pushing the built block by itself, a 200 shot on top would probably wreck the built block in a few pulls.

Nitrous stacked on FI seems pointless on this platform.

A 50 shot stacked on top of a full NA bolt on E85 build could work pretty good if setup properly, should pull as hard as a lot of mild FI setups.
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2 whp better than n/a e85, 2 whp? you're an idiot., 2screwsbetterthan0screw, 65 whp better than na e85, bspt fittings ftl, hate u all me no have sc, im just here for the tags, inorite!, it's no turbo but, only big numbers matter, screwyou, whine sexier than turbo, whines_more_than_your_gf, wts grey market butthurt.