follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 12-04-2020, 03:06 PM   #197
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,892 Times in 2,033 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSideFRS View Post
86 can't even run on a track without an oil cooler
Of course it can, and many do, often. I've never had to quit running at the track due to coolant or oil temp.
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 04:55 PM   #198
AnalogMan

Drives: 2019 BRZ Limited 6 speed Red
Thanked 1,012 Times in 338 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-86 View Post
Yep, the problem is us, the buying public. If we don’t buy enough of the things brand new, to create the demand to make it profitable enough for auto makers to continue making them, eventually they will stop. This includes the forum ‘geniuses’ who boast that they never buy a sports car brand new, because only suckers buy new and face depreciation. Yep, so genius that if everyone does that eventually there will be no new sports cars sold new at all, and then used market values will get ever more expensive as the limited pool of used cars diminishes every year as they break down, get crashed or rust off the roads. Genius!
I completely agree with you about buying new vs. used (in another thread somewhere around here I rambled on about the many reasons to buy new over used, and especially for a sports car).

It's mostly our own fault, the buyers for not creating enough demand for a product. But a good part of it is also the increasingly strictly financial considerations of manufacturers. Of course all companies are in business to make money. They wouldn't last very long if they didn't. But the hurdles for financial returns seem to be getting increasingly higher for companies, most especially US manufacturers that are under tremendous pressure from shareholders to always 'maximize shareholder value'.

Ford even went so far as to discontinue all their passenger cars in the US (except for the Mustang) and sell only trucks and truck-like vehicles (SUV, CUV, etc.) because they had the highest profit margins. It seems that in the past, before major institutional shareholders dictated how companies operate, there was room for smaller selling and lower margin cars like sports cars. I can't imagine Honda sold a ton of S2000's in its day (even though it's highly coveted now).

Nowadays, unless a product line is high-volume and high-profit, most companies won't do it. Which is why I think it's a miracle Subaru/Toyota invested in a next-generation BRZ at all. The car has never been a big money-maker for either company. It's not even rounding error in Toyota's revenue lines. It's one of the few gifts to enthusiasts out there. Not many companies seem to be willing to incur shareholder wrath these days and offer low-selling products, and enthusiasts are the worse off for it.
AnalogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AnalogMan For This Useful Post:
Ash_89 (12-04-2020)
Old 12-04-2020, 05:02 PM   #199
Red-86

Drives: 86 (sold), 370Z
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Whilst I think a new S2000 is a low probability, I have higher hopes Honda will build a production version of their Sports EV:

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...pt-images-leak

Since electric cars are all the rage, an EV sports car probably has more potential to reach production. At the moment, nearly all the ‘affordable’ EVs are pretty ugly, high riding, 5 door vehicles designed for practicality. The 2 door sports coupe EVs that are made tend to be high end supercars, and beyond reach for average people. I’d love to see Honda and others start producing affordable EV sports coupes - if we have to accept an EV future, at least give us some fun ones.
Red-86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 05:28 PM   #200
Red-86

Drives: 86 (sold), 370Z
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogMan View Post
It's mostly our own fault, the buyers for not creating enough demand for a product. But a good part of it is also the increasingly strictly financial considerations of manufacturers. Of course all companies are in business to make money. They wouldn't last very long if they didn't. But the hurdles for financial returns seem to be getting increasingly higher for companies, most especially US manufacturers that are under tremendous pressure from shareholders to always 'maximize shareholder value'.
There is probably something to this. In decades past it did seem that there was a real passion for sports cars and motor racing among many automotive companies, CEOs and boards. Today, the companies, CEOs and boards seem even more managerial and indifferent about racing and sports cars. Even a small sports car project with potential for modest returns is likely seen as an unnecessary opportunity cost when those same resources could be allocated toward pumping out even more SUVs and trucks. Sad, but that’s business today.

Quote:
I think it's a miracle Subaru/Toyota invested in a next-generation BRZ at all.
I do too, for all the reasons you state.

Similarly, it’s amazing that Nissan persisted with the 370Z and now a new 400Z, and that Mazda persists with the MX-5. None of them need to do these cars, but they keep on anyway. I suspect there is just enough pride and passion left in those companies to keep these cars alive. My big fear is that ever tightening emissions regs, combined with the push to hybrids and then full EV fleets, will kill affordable sports coupes for good in the not too distant future. EV hot hatches and the like will be great, I’m sure, but they are no replacement for a proper, RWD sports coupe.
Red-86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Red-86 For This Useful Post:
AnalogMan (12-04-2020)
Old 12-05-2020, 10:48 AM   #201
Swift
I just Drive.

Drives: in the womb still
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I feel it will be a "baby" NSX or a S2000 successor. My thoughts are they plan to use the newer Type-s motor going to be released in the spring. I feel there is alot more potential for this motor in another chassis to get its full potential and from a racing standpoint. Covid I am sure through a wrench on timing of release though.

-92' Acura Legend 5spd coupe twin turbo project
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote