follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 02-22-2016, 01:41 PM   #127
GrimmSpeed

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 WRX
Thanked 3,550 Times in 885 Posts
Mentioned: 218 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to GrimmSpeed Send a message via MSN to GrimmSpeed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flow View Post
After how long or how many miles would you recommend re-oiling the filter?

(For some reason, I thought the filter was a dry filter, and haven't re-oiled since 11/2014.)
If you didn't clean it (which it sounds like you might have), you wont have to re-oil. But if you did clean it, definitely re clean, and re oil ASAP. AS far as maintenance goes, the recommended cleaning interval is 30,000 miles. In dustier environments I would recommend 15,000 - 20,000 miles tops. Even here in Minnesota where in the winter they salt the hell out of the roads, i prefer to use the 15,000 mile filter cleaning interval.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icybrzzz View Post
Is there a link to where I could buy dry filters or oiled filters? Checked the website but I couldn't find anything.
Yeah, there is a link on the site for dry filters right here:

http://www.grimmspeed.com/grimmspeed...ter-3-0-inlet/

The oiled filters are not on the site, but if you call in one of our sales guys can get you taken care of.

Chase
Engineering
GrimmSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrimmSpeed For This Useful Post:
Flow (02-22-2016)
Old 03-14-2016, 01:40 PM   #128
StormTrooper

Drives: Pavement MT GR86
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I understand cleaning up the engine bay, getting induction noise that's not artificial.... But has anyone proved this or any intake on this platform will make power on a car that already has a full exhaust.

I seem to remember that the gains don't stack, so if you had this intake and tuned it netting 15whp when you add a header that should do let's say 35 all you'd end up with is the 35 for both.

I'd like to be proven wrong, but I doubt it.
Old 09-02-2016, 10:09 AM   #129
trueno86power
[||•]=(86)=[•||]

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Big thanks to @GrimmSpeed !

Finally, I've got a working cold air intake system for my car.

I've tried various intake (aFe, Injen, K&N) and they got the same exact problem.

In WOT situation in low RPM (below 2000RPM) the engine was running like crap. Pass that zone, all the intake that I've tried give decent gain.

But the GrimmSpeed one deliver good performance and don't have that low RPM problem like they all do !

Could be added as a note somewhere, I did forget by mistake to install the seal between the snorkel and the Grimmspeed air box. Just because of that, the air flow was deviated somewhat and caused the same problem I had with other intake. I've installed the seal and well, everything is working fine now !

The only "problem" of this intake, it's a bit too close from the oil sensor connector and it do rub on it. EDIT: I've reajust the air box and it fit correcly now !

Thanks a lot !

Last edited by trueno86power; 09-06-2016 at 02:06 PM.
trueno86power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 10:18 AM   #130
Icecreamtruk

Drives: Track preped NA FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trueno86power View Post

I've tried various intake (aFe, Injen, K&N) and they got the same exact problem.

In WOT situation in low RPM (below 2000RPM) the engine was running like crap. Pass that zone, all the intake that I've tried give decent gain.

But the GrimmSpeed one deliver good performance and don't have that low RPM problem like they all do !

Could be added as a note somewhere, I did forget by mistake to install the seal between the snorkel and the Grimmspeed air box. Just because of that, the air flow was deviated somewhat and caused the same problem I had with other intake. I've installed the seal and well, everything is working fine now !

The only "problem" of this intake, it's a bit too close from the oil sensor connector and it do rub on it.

Thanks a lot !
Sup @trueno86power, fancy meeting you here. Quick question since we are on topic, is there enough space behind the intake for the hoses and sandwitch plate of an oil cooler to pass? On stock airbox, they are at less than an inch from the box.
Icecreamtruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 10:20 AM   #131
JazzleSAURUS

Drives: 15 BRZ LTD, 05 FXT
Quote:

The only "problem" of this intake, it's a bit too close from the oil sensor connector and it do rub on it.

Thanks a lot !
Stop driving below 2000rpm. That's silly.
SOLD: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited ('02 WRX BBS, S-04's, Stoptech Sport pads, MXP SP, AVO drop in filter, Mishimoto Intake tube, decatted header, OFT 93 Stage 2 EL Tune, Kartboy rear shifter bushing, Whiteline transmission and subframe lockout bushings, ST Coilovers, SPC Camber bolts w/smaller crash bolt, SPC LCA's & SPC Toe Arm bushings, Red TOMs, TRD Wing.)
JazzleSAURUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 11:51 AM   #132
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
While WOT below 2K is pushing it, i see nothing wrong with steady economical cruising at low rpms. I find 1.7-2K working for that just fine. Below 1.6K is where engine noticeably struggles even with light throttle.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 12:19 PM   #133
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecreamtruk View Post
Sup @trueno86power, fancy meeting you here. Quick question since we are on topic, is there enough space behind the intake for the hoses and sandwitch plate of an oil cooler to pass? On stock airbox, they are at less than an inch from the box.
this has been discussed a ton and the answer is basivally no with a standard Mocal plate, itll rub under load. There is a low prifle mocal set-up that will probably work though. @BigFatFlip runs in not with this intake but it has great clearance if he can provide part numbers

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 12:43 PM   #134
trueno86power
[||•]=(86)=[•||]

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzleSAURUS View Post
Stop driving below 2000rpm. That's silly.
.... It's not like I'm always driving in that zone I'm not stupid.

But when you start WOT from 0, well guess where you are. Below 2000RPM.

@Icecreamtruk, what finch1750 said. Maybe the OEM forester/wrx cooler would fit, you can see the How-To on our forum.
Old 09-02-2016, 01:08 PM   #135
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
this has been discussed a ton and the answer is basivally no with a standard Mocal plate, itll rub under load. There is a low prifle mocal set-up that will probably work though. @BigFatFlip runs in not with this intake but it has great clearance if he can provide part numbers
I have the racerX sandwhich plate, not Mocal. Not sure on the dimensions of the mocal plate, but I found a pic of the racerX with the stock intake on their website.

Hope that helps!
BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigFatFlip For This Useful Post:
finch1750 (09-02-2016)
Old 09-02-2016, 01:29 PM   #136
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatFlip View Post
I have the racerX sandwhich plate, not Mocal. Not sure on the dimensions of the mocal plate, but I found a pic of the racerX with the stock intake on their website.

Hope that helps!
Ah my bad. I knew you had a special set up but I confused it with another one.

Banjo fitting are an option for extra clearance @Icecreamtruk, but not sure if it'll work

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 01:50 PM   #137
Icecreamtruk

Drives: Track preped NA FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
Ah my bad. I knew you had a special set up but I confused it with another one.

Banjo fitting are an option for extra clearance @Icecreamtruk, but not sure if it'll work

Yeah my oil cooler lines are setup like that, and have a little bit less clearance than the picture you posted. I guess I'll check out @trueno86power car on our next meeting and take some measurements.
Icecreamtruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 03:02 PM   #138
trueno86power
[||•]=(86)=[•||]

@Icecreamtruk Mad1723 too have this intake btw
Old 09-06-2016, 11:18 AM   #139
GrimmSpeed

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 WRX
Thanked 3,550 Times in 885 Posts
Mentioned: 218 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to GrimmSpeed Send a message via MSN to GrimmSpeed
Quote:

Thanks a lot !
Thank you very much, and I think I recall you asking one of our sales guys about this specific problem that you'd been having with other intakes. Glad to see that our intake was exactly what you were looking for.

As far as rubbing on that sensor, while the fit is close, it should not touch. I've only had a few people email in saying that had this issue, and it was always remedied by loosening the two mounting bolts for the intake and pulling the airbox forward, and then re-tightening those two bolts. Usually the issue is caused by the rear mount because of how it is attached to the car, and how flimsy it is. There is a ton of room for slop in installation when it was installed at the factory, and it is pretty easy to bend when removing your stock airbox or if you've had any other intakes in there (and it sounds like you've had several).

So don't let it touch that sensor, try moving the airbox all the way forward first, and if you cant get any more adjustment try bending the lower rear mount on the car towards the front of the car a little, because I have a feeling it's no longer in it's original location.

Quote:
There really isn't with the fittings that were shown. We were able to install a kit (clocked pretty much identical to the RacerX one in the picture, and everything fits, but it's touching the airbox. So I wouldn't run that. Now I haven't tried banjo fittings, but from what I can tell visually and what I mocked up in CAD, they should work just fine.

Quote:
Yeah my oil cooler lines are setup like that, and have a little bit less clearance than the picture you posted. I guess I'll check out @trueno86power car on our next meeting and take some measurements.
If I'm reading this right you have the GrimmSpeed intake too, with an oil cooler with banjo fittings? If that's the case I'd love to see a picture just so we can confirm fitment. Let me know!

Chase
Engineering
GrimmSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 02:05 PM   #140
trueno86power
[||•]=(86)=[•||]

@GrimmSpeed, you're right, it clear up the oil sensor when ajusted. I've reajust the air box and now it got at least 1cm of space ! So It's pretty much perfect now

And yeah I was talking to one of your sales guy ! I wanted to be sure this intake meet my satisfaction and it did !

Thanks again
The Following User Says Thank You to trueno86power For This Useful Post:
GrimmSpeed (09-06-2016)