follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Northern California

Northern California NorCal

User Tag List

Old 09-01-2015, 06:32 PM   #1107
darkonion
Habitual Troublemaker

Drives: 1997 Subaru Impreza, 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpde_addict View Post
I did one autocross event at Laguna Seca with SpeedSF. The course was short, slow, not timed, and not technical. Would not recommend, especially when it is being held at the same time as their track event.
I designed some (though, not all) of those courses and your critiques are noted.

Laguna Seca's paddock isn't exactly an ideal autocross site, but I try my best to offer as much as I can. When I design courses, I try to utilize as much as the space as I can. I try offering a variety of elements that will cater to all skill levels.

Yes to the short part. Yes to the slow part. Limitations of site. Yes to it not being timed. Yes to it being run at the same time as the track sessions.

I've headed a few of these events with SpeedSF and have gotten generally positive feedback. People seem to have a lot of fun. They seem to get in a lot of runs. And we do get a few people who go at it all day until we have to kick them out.
darkonion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:08 PM   #1108
hpde_addict

Drives: '18 Camaro V6 1LE
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkonion View Post
I designed some (though, not all) of those courses and your critiques are noted.

Laguna Seca's paddock isn't exactly an ideal autocross site, but I try my best to offer as much as I can. When I design courses, I try to utilize as much as the space as I can. I try offering a variety of elements that will cater to all skill levels.

Yes to the short part. Yes to the slow part. Limitations of site. Yes to it not being timed. Yes to it being run at the same time as the track sessions.

I've headed a few of these events with SpeedSF and have gotten generally positive feedback. People seem to have a lot of fun. They seem to get in a lot of runs. And we do get a few people who go at it all day until we have to kick them out.
Compared to Crow's Landing and Marina Airport, it's an extremely limiting autocross site. The tradeoff is more runs and a more casual, non-competitive environment, which I can see as a big plus for some people. The OP seems to be a little more "serious", suggesting the idea of renting a skid pad, so I would not recommend any autocross event at the Laguna Seca paddock to him.
hpde_addict is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hpde_addict For This Useful Post:
Smurfette (09-02-2015)
Old 09-01-2015, 08:37 PM   #1109
doggieboy09
Sènior Member

Drives: '22 BRZ |'13 BRZ SSC (formerly)
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Compared to Crow's Landing and Marina Airport, it's an extremely limiting autocross site. The tradeoff is more runs and a more casual, non-competitive environment, which I can see as a big plus for some people. The OP seems to be a little more "serious", suggesting the idea of renting a skid pad, so I would not recommend any autocross event at the Laguna Seca paddock to him.
I would recommend it if you want to burn off a set of tires, to fool around with your car, or if you have someone experienced in autocross have them go with you. I know Speed SF says no drifting but truth be said if it looks like you know what you are doing, no one will say anything.

For test and tune, AAS has a separate test and tune course when they host at Crows Landing. That's about a 30 sec course. Unlimited runs but you pick up your owns cones. And it's an extra cost on top of the event cost. Still good value since AAS does not have membership fees. The last Crows Landing event this year will be October 24-25th. It will be a who's who event since it will be the last this year and it will be a blast. You will see a lot of talented drivers there!

Next Lotus Club Event is in September 20th and if you're interested you should sign up soon because they have limited drivers.

Here a list of events for the rest of the year...
http://www.baautox.com/forum/index.p...&start=0&rid=0

SCCA also has a non-competitive "slush" season. You can expect some extra fun runs.
http://www.baautox.com/forum/index.p...&start=0&rid=0
doggieboy09 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to doggieboy09 For This Useful Post:
Smurfette (09-02-2015)
Old 09-01-2015, 09:28 PM   #1110
hpde_addict

Drives: '18 Camaro V6 1LE
BMWCCA is also good. I recently did a test & tune event with them at Marina Airport. It was unlimited runs and they had a short 40-50s course set up alongside a figure-8/skid-pad.
hpde_addict is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hpde_addict For This Useful Post:
Smurfette (09-02-2015)
Old 09-01-2015, 10:11 PM   #1111
doggieboy09
Sènior Member

Quote:
BMWCCA is also good. I recently did a test & tune event with them at Marina Airport. It was unlimited runs and they had a short 40-50s course set up alongside a figure-8/skid-pad.
BMWCCA gives better sandwiches than Lotus Club's pedophile sandwiches. (TOO SOON?)
Old 09-02-2015, 05:06 AM   #1112
Smurfette

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Thanks for the recommendations! I signed-up for the Lotus club one on 9/20, if anyone else on here is attending. I'll have to look into the BMWCCA ones.

Still looking for people interested in renting the skid pad with me, so please PM me if interested! I'm really looking to understand how/when my BRZ rotates and how to manage it.
Smurfette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 03:50 PM   #1113
G_Ride

Drives: Some kind of Subaru
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurfette View Post
Thanks for the recommendations! I signed-up for the Lotus club one on 9/20, if anyone else on here is attending. I'll have to look into the BMWCCA ones.

Still looking for people interested in renting the skid pad with me, so please PM me if interested! I'm really looking to understand how/when my BRZ rotates and how to manage it.
I recommend at least signing up for Phase One of the Evo School http://evoschool.com/. There's one coming up at Marina on 10/10.
G_Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to G_Ride For This Useful Post:
Smurfette (09-04-2015)
Old 09-04-2015, 01:29 AM   #1114
Smurfette

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by G_Ride View Post
I recommend at least signing up for Phase One of the Evo School http://evoschool.com/. There's one coming up at Marina on 10/10.
Thanks for the suggestion! Do you think I'll be bored in the Evo School? I've done the BMW ///M Performance Driving School, Skip Barber 3 Day Racing School, BMWCCA Advanced Car Control Clinic, 15+ track days, 7+ autox events, etc.

I didn't have "issues" with rotation in my M3 or Cayman S, it seems to be a new "problem" for me in the BRZ...I'm honestly terrified of the BRZ as it's so light and easily rotates...spun on track (traction and stability was off, didn't settle the car after a turn, too fast into a turn, lifted) and went spinning (again) into an off-road adventure (needed to tap the brake to settle the car, need to be slower in, more throttle coming out of the turn). I think I was trying to compensate for HP by not braking adequately and trying to carry too much speed? I think the BRZ will teach me a lot about driving and how to leverage momentum properly.

I took 2+ years off from the track/autox, so I'm very rusty and humbled -- re-learning things, new track, and the BRZ. I signed-up for 3 track days (requested coach for the next one) and the upcoming GGLC autox. I will sign-up for the Evo School (Phase 1 and 2?) if you think it will be beneficial!
Smurfette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 12:01 PM   #1115
G_Ride

Drives: Some kind of Subaru
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurfette View Post
Thanks for the suggestion! Do you think I'll be bored in the Evo School? I've done the BMW ///M Performance Driving School, Skip Barber 3 Day Racing School, BMWCCA Advanced Car Control Clinic, 15+ track days, 7+ autox events, etc.

I didn't have "issues" with rotation in my M3 or Cayman S, it seems to be a new "problem" for me in the BRZ...I'm honestly terrified of the BRZ as it's so light and easily rotates...spun on track (traction and stability was off, didn't settle the car after a turn, too fast into a turn, lifted) and went spinning (again) into an off-road adventure (needed to tap the brake to settle the car, need to be slower in, more throttle coming out of the turn). I think I was trying to compensate for HP by not braking adequately and trying to carry too much speed? I think the BRZ will teach me a lot about driving and how to leverage momentum properly.

I took 2+ years off from the track/autox, so I'm very rusty and humbled -- re-learning things, new track, and the BRZ. I signed-up for 3 track days (requested coach for the next one) and the upcoming GGLC autox. I will sign-up for the Evo School (Phase 1 and 2?) if you think it will be beneficial!
All of my friends that have gone to the Evo School have benefited and enjoyed it, but it really comes down to who your instructor will be. You can sign up for both Phase 1 and 2, but you must complete Phase 1 first.
G_Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to G_Ride For This Useful Post:
Smurfette (09-04-2015)
Old 09-11-2015, 11:44 AM   #1116
doggieboy09
Sènior Member

Congrats to tigermack on your 2nd overall finish in STX in SCCA Nationals
and to justint5387 for your 9 out of 58! Overall placing in the top 10 in STX!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to doggieboy09 For This Useful Post:
BlaineWasHere (09-11-2015), justint5387 (09-14-2015), Okami (09-11-2015), tigermack (09-14-2015)
Old 09-14-2015, 01:54 AM   #1117
tigermack
STX 188

Drives: STX BRZ
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to tigermack
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggieboy09 View Post
Congrats to tigermack on your 2nd overall finish in STX in SCCA Nationals
and to justint5387 for your 9 out of 58! Overall placing in the top 10 in STX!
Thanks.

I had the chance to take it all but came just short. After reviewing my video, I probably left at least a tenth in total just from 3-4 spots.

Here are the official runs, not quite happy with the west course run but was an improvement from the first by a tenth, that I thought I drove better.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8mmLcM-fmY"]Mack - 2015 SCCA Tire Rack National Championship - STX BRZ #188 - YouTube[/ame]
Old 09-21-2015, 01:29 AM   #1118
doggieboy09
Sènior Member

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEj2RYXJpNA"]GGLC Rd 7 Marina Airport Subaru BRZ MY2013 - YouTube[/ame]

Sorry if I didn't get to say hi to everyone who attended Sunday's autox event with Golden Gate Lotus Club. Here's my fastest run of 44.168. It was a really good event. There were more 86s than actual Lotus cars. We had some BBQ for lunch and I even won a raffle for a track day!

Last edited by doggieboy09; 09-21-2015 at 01:49 AM.
Old 09-25-2015, 01:05 AM   #1119
BlaineWasHere
Grip>Drift

Drives: FRS
Thanked 1,749 Times in 918 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Who's going to Marina this weekend? I'll be there on Saturday afternoon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-25-2015, 02:13 AM   #1120
tigermack
STX 188

Drives: STX BRZ
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to tigermack
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaineWasHere View Post
Who's going to Marina this weekend? I'll be there on Saturday afternoon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think we going in the morning and run second.