follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 08-03-2012, 11:36 PM   #15

Drives: '23 CWP BRZ
Thanked 1,126 Times in 533 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubz View Post
Part of the 2013 DOT rules. All new cars transmit locations and conversations to local law enforcement.

Key Fob
You know, I actually read this and was about to flip a shit and move out of the country.

And then I read Key Fob.
636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:19 PM   #16
White64Goat

Drives: 13 BRZ CBS LTD MT, 02 WRX
Thanked 1,111 Times in 627 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Anyone seen black helicopters following them???.......
White64Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:32 PM   #17
Rampage
Senior Member/Old Fanboi

Drives: 2000 2ZZ-GE MR2 Spyder HT
Thanked 2,014 Times in 915 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
They have moved beyond black. They now have a method of bending light beams which makes the helicopters virtually invisible.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:07 PM   #18
TrickyFrenchman

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Not to take away from this solution in any way, because I would not have thought of this without it. But, for those of you who do not have time to take out the rear deck, etc. (like me right now). I found another solution that may work permanently, or at least in the interim until you can work on your car.

Open the trunk and look at the underneath side of the deck. I took a foam ear plug and squashed it down and fit it into the hole that is directly below the transmitter unit (see the pic). Actually, I wedged 1 1/2 plugs in there and it has since stopped the buzz. Also, to check even if you have this buzz, I was able to tap on the area of the hole prior to placing the plug in it and get the transmitter to buzz.

As I did this today, I'm not sure if it will be a long-term fix, but should hold me over until I have to readdress it.
Attached Images

TrickyFrenchman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TrickyFrenchman For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (08-19-2012), Guff (08-25-2012), MannyO (08-09-2012), Sigh-on-Rice (08-08-2012)
Old 08-08-2012, 11:31 PM   #19
jdubz

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickyFrenchman View Post
Not to take away from this solution in any way, because I would not have thought of this without it. But, for those of you who do not have time to take out the rear deck, etc. (like me right now). I found another solution that may work permanently, or at least in the interim until you can work on your car.

Open the trunk and look at the underneath side of the deck. I took a foam ear plug and squashed it down and fit it into the hole that is directly below the transmitter unit (see the pic). Actually, I wedged 1 1/2 plugs in there and it has since stopped the buzz. Also, to check even if you have this buzz, I was able to tap on the area of the hole prior to placing the plug in it and get the transmitter to buzz.

As I did this today, I'm not sure if it will be a long-term fix, but should hold me over until I have to readdress it.
This looks to be a great quick fix. I also pondered if someone could attempt to tighten the bolt from the bottom without messing up the threads.

If you hear any more rattle, try shoving a plug in the hole next to the bolt. I found that the little piece of metal sticking through the deck was a major part of the rattle in my car.
jdubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:07 AM   #20
TrickyFrenchman

Drives: 2013 FR-S
I don't think the tightness of that bolt is the issue. All of the weight, or what weight there is is off to the side from where it is bolted down. So, I think the opposite side from the bolt may be what is buzzing. The plate that it sits on would have to be fairly rigid to keep any sort of flex from occurring.

I also thought of attempting to tighten the bolt from the bottom, but I don't see how without messing up the threads of the bolt. I also thought about putting foam in the "clip" or "flange" behind the bolt, but it's a pretty tight space. It looks much larger in the picture...

I assume these things simply from the pics because I have obviously not seen or held the piece in person. So, I may be completely off base.
TrickyFrenchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:27 PM   #21
jdubz

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
It doesn't weigh a thing--the vibrating is the metal bracket that holds the transmitter to the car. On my car, a few turns of the bolt fixed the rattle. However, I didn't want to ever have to pull the deck out again so I put that small barrier to insulate the two pieces of metal from each other.

If two pieces of metal aren't completely tight to one another, you're gonna have a bad (noisy) time.
jdubz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jdubz For This Useful Post:
alrashwa (08-10-2012)
Old 08-17-2012, 05:09 PM   #22
Zadkiel

Drives: CBS BRZ Limited 6MT
Quote:
tl;dr The wireless transmitter is loose!

There was a horrible rattle that sounded like a screw or something loose rolling around coming from the back of the car. Dealership didn't put any effort into finding it so I had to find it myself. I figured out that if hit my palm against the bottom of the deck on the driver's side I could replicate the sound I was hearing when driving. After removing the rear deck, I discovered that the wireless transmitter was too loose.

Solution:
1. Take the rear deck out. There are multiple ways to do this--I pulled the plastic pins out that you see when you put the rear seats down and then was able to pull up on the deck after locating the 4 plastic grommets. This is much easier than totally disassembling the rear pillars, etc. Do this at your own risk--you can easily bend or crease the deck if you get in a hurry.
2. Locate the wireless transmitter and find an appropriate sized socket.
3. You can tighten the bolt and see if that fixes your rattle. However, I wanted to make sure I never had to get back there again so I cut a small rubber placemat the size of the transmitter (and a hole for the bolt) and placed it under the transmitter.
4. Tighten the bolt and be rattle free. I've not heard the noise for over two weeks.
5. When you reinstall the rear deck, make sure you push down on it so that there is sufficient clearance between the brake light and the window or else you will hear rattle!

'

Ok, something is obviously different on your car, because even when I pull out the 4 plastic pins, and even get the plastic trim piece(2 piece) loose, the interior trim is still solid. I don't know if it's the brake light or what bit it isn't budging. I think I even got one portion of it slightly bent outward since it is bulging where one of the plastic push pin things is sticking in.
Old 08-18-2012, 10:52 PM   #23
mikeg7827

Drives: 1995 Ford Probe
OMG ITS THE INFAMOUS BLACK BOX THAT RECORDS EVERY TIME YOU TURN OFF THE VSC AND TRACTION CONTROLS just like the Nissan GTR! LOLOLOL jk
mikeg7827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:22 PM   #24
Skye

Drives: TR2,CooperS,BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I see the hole but do Canadian cars have a transmitter? Anyone know?
Skye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 03:21 PM   #25
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,936 Times in 11,375 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skye View Post
I see the hole but do Canadian cars have a transmitter? Anyone know?
Technically, I believe it is a receiver (for the key fob, based on other comments here) not a transmiter, but most likely the Canadians have it as well.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 03:11 AM   #26
gmookher
Banned

Drives: VortechSC,BorlaEL,Perrin,GCRace
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
I also pondered if someone could attempt to tighten the bolt from the bottom without messing up the threads.
two nuts tightened against eachother will do the trick if tightening the bolt is the fix or even adding a lockwasher and a bolt- Instead of foam plugs to keep the tab end from rattling, I'd look at a tiny drop of fireplace or windsheild caulk, it would resist heat under the window, and still secure it permanent, yet be cut/grind/dremelable should that part ever need to be replaced
gmookher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:40 AM   #27
CMOS

Drives: 2012 FUJI Z
Quote:
Part of the 2013 DOT rules. All new cars transmit locations and conversations to local law enforcement.
http://www.illinoistollway.com/tolls-and-i-pass

You mean like this one that automatically tags pictures with your license plate, average speed, drivers license and credit card number?

Nah that would never happen... takes the sport out of chasing you down at 100mph and stopping you in the fast lane on an icy road to collect tax on an arbitrarily selected rate of speed ...you know ...safety
CMOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:56 AM   #28
Ravenlokk

Drives: 2013 Raven FR-S
I didn't do anything, and the rear deck pop went away... It was super annoying, now its so quiet and it makes me happy. Only thing thats changed is i've been doing some aggressive cornering and getting the back end loose... also installed strut tower bars a couple weeks ago (but it was doing it still after i put em in). It really seems to have quieted down since i started tossing it around.
Ravenlokk is offline   Reply With Quote