follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 12-20-2018, 05:22 AM   #1
SkyeHack

Drives: 2018 BRZ tS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
2018 Subaru BRZ tS Sideswiped. Where should I go to repair?

I got sideswiped by some 18 year old in a 2005 Hyundai Elantra who was turning right out of a gas station onto the main road. I got most of the damage.

My question is: Subaru doesn't have any Subaru Certified Collision centers in Florida. However, there is a Toyota Certified Collision center next to me. Would I be able to bring it to Toyota and have them repair/replace/order all the STI parts that need replacement?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-20-2018, 06:01 AM   #2
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Drives: CWP S.B.
Thanked 1,293 Times in 873 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
...................................... I dont wanna say part out.........

defensive driving.....

only thing sti there is the sti side skirt.

You didn't stop the hyundai driver & have a cop do the report since it was on public road? File a claim to their insurance & let their insurance take care of it
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 07:07 AM   #3
SkyeHack

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoskaze View Post
...................................... I dont wanna say part out.........

defensive driving.....

only thing sti there is the sti side skirt.

You didn't stop the hyundai driver & have a cop do the report since it was on public road? File a claim to their insurance & let their insurance take care of it
I'm not going to part out a car that isn't totaled, has no structural damage and has 6,000 miles on it.

There is damage to both STI rims.

There wasn't much room for me to do defensive driving as there was an 18 wheeler semi truck in the left lane / me on the right lane / and this teenager pulling out of the gas station in the driveway. I was sandwiched between him and the semi truck and I rather not get sideswiped by an 18 wheeler.

I did file a police report. The officer found the other driver at fault for not yielding to traffic. I already have a claim in with my insurance (Progressive) and have given them the other persons Insurance information. At the completion of the investigation, Progressive is going to go after them for all repair costs (including refunding my deductible). I am also inquiring about doing a diminished value claim since the value of my car is going to drop significantly.

So again, my dilemma is what reputable body shop should I take it to? Should I go with the recommendation that my Subaru dealership tells me (even though its not a Subaru certified collision center) or should I go to Toyota since they share the FT86 platform (Toyota 86) and have a certified collision center.
Old 12-20-2018, 07:09 AM   #4
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
They turned directly into your front fender? How did that accident even happen!?!?!

Any body shop should be able to fix that without issue. Find a good one, or maybe one that deals with a lot of exotics and go from there. I dont generally trust the insurance's "approved" repair sites, but some of those are good as well. All depends on what your research turns up.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Summerwolf For This Useful Post:
SkyeHack (12-20-2018)
Old 12-20-2018, 07:54 AM   #5
SkyeHack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
They turned directly into your front fender? How did that accident even happen!?!?!

Any body shop should be able to fix that without issue. Find a good one, or maybe one that deals with a lot of exotics and go from there. I dont generally trust the insurance's "approved" repair sites, but some of those are good as well. All depends on what your research turns up.

He pulled out of the driveway then stopped, inched forward a little more, and than just went for it. Here is his car. Way less damage then me.
Attached Images

Old 12-20-2018, 08:43 AM   #6
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyeHack View Post
He pulled out of the driveway then stopped, inched forward a little more, and than just went for it. Here is his car. Way less damage then me.
Sure. It looks like he went for it right in to your fender though. Or were you actively trying to move to another lane?

Shitty.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 09:33 AM   #7
cliff

Drives: subaru brz
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
There is a collision shop around the corner from Schumacher Subaru in West Palm beach. They do a lot of work on Subaru's.
cliff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cliff For This Useful Post:
SkyeHack (12-20-2018)
Old 12-20-2018, 09:51 AM   #8
Vital

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
There wasn't much room for me to do defensive driving as there was an 18 wheeler semi truck in the left lane / me on the right lane / and this teenager pulling out of the gas station in the driveway. I was sandwiched between him and the semi truck and I rather not get sideswiped by an 18 wheeler.
Well you could have slowed down too....just giving you a hard time. Sucks that happened to your tS though.
Vital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 11:21 AM   #9
Azzudien

Drives: 2017 Series Yellow BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Sucks your car got damaged, hope you get it fixed soon.

Go to the Subaru dealership and get some recommendations from them on body shops. I am sure they have a working relationship with a few body shops if they do not have one themselves.

Also don't listen to the "forum experts" who think it was somehow your lack of defensive driving skills. Clearly the police officer stated it was not your fault.

Good luck on the repair
Azzudien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Azzudien For This Useful Post:
radroach (12-22-2018), SkyeHack (12-20-2018), Summerwolf (12-20-2018)
Old 12-20-2018, 04:05 PM   #10
tjohnson104

Drives: brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I had my back bumper smashed in when a stoned guy ran into it when I was parked at a McDonald's parking lot. 5k in damaged and I filled a diminished value claim also.... And they came back with a offer of 1.43... don't understand the math on that. But anyways. I took mine to a normal shop, they were not subaru Certified, but they were like ford and Chevy or something. And they did a amazing job. Can't even tell it was hit. They ordered all new sti body kit parts as well.
tjohnson104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 11:02 PM   #11
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
that sucks. well, the good-ish news is that it's not totaled...

Quote:
My question is: Subaru doesn't have any Subaru Certified Collision centers in Florida. However, there is a Toyota Certified Collision center next to me. Would I be able to bring it to Toyota and have them repair/replace/order all the STI parts that need replacement?
body work is body work. any body shop should be competent in the repair and be able to get the correct parts. my suggestion is to talk to friends/family about any body shops they've used, and use the one that is the highest-recommended from that.

i don't trust dealer recommendations or insurance recommendations-- i've got stories of friends being screwed on both of those, with a theory on money changing hands to become recommended.
Old 12-22-2018, 03:25 PM   #12
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I took mine to a chain shop called Abra auto body. They did good work and were easy to work with through insurance. Some corners were cut but for the most part, satisfactory.
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote