follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 05-24-2013, 11:03 AM   #1
KBRZee

Drives: Satin White
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Aftermaket dash speakers without cutting the factory harness

So Crutchfield sells a harness, Item# 12071042, for the dash speaker. It does not work. It fits the plug that goes to the 3.5 inch speaker but it doesn't work because the sound has to travel through the tweeter plug to get to the 3.5 inch speaker. No idea why they wired it that way.
I was about to splice the wire when I came up with this idea, that worked. I had some 14 gauge house wires laying around. I cut the ground wire into small pieces and bent them into a small horse shoe shape. Then I flattened them out with a hammer. I used them to bypass the tweeter plug so the sound can travel to the 3.5 harness, and then I used the harness from Crutchfield. Hopefully this picture can explain what I did better than I can.
Attached Images

KBRZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:21 PM   #2
Prog

Drives: 2016 Cadillac CTS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBRZee View Post
So Crutchfield sells a harness, Item# 12071042, for the dash speaker. It does not work. It fits the plug that goes to the 3.5 inch speaker but it doesn't work because the sound has to travel through the tweeter plug to get to the 3.5 inch speaker. No idea why they wired it that way.
I was about to splice the wire when I came up with this idea, that worked. I had some 14 gauge house wires laying around. I cut the ground wire into small pieces and bent them into a small horse shoe shape. Then I flattened them out with a hammer. I used them to bypass the tweeter plug so the sound can travel to the 3.5 harness, and then I used the harness from Crutchfield. Hopefully this picture can explain what I did better than I can.
Any issues with this yet? How's it working for you?
Prog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:48 AM   #3
KBRZee

Drives: Satin White
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
No problems at all.
KBRZee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KBRZee For This Useful Post:
Prog (01-22-2014)
Old 10-16-2016, 08:10 PM   #4
Here2rock

Drives: 86 GTS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBRZee View Post
I am little confused as how the those "horse shoes" will fit the wire harness?
Here2rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 04:04 AM   #5
Compelica

Drives: 86 GT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Bringing this back up from the dead... but if anyone wants a quicker solution to this, spade connectors will also work nicely. Just slot them in and secure with tape.

Compelica is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Compelica For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (10-29-2020)