follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 08-23-2017, 09:54 PM   #1
Cubix

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Idle oil pressure at 0 psi?

Hey ya'll I recently installed a GlowShift oil pressure gauge into the stock dummy oil pressure switch location (under the oil filter). I've noticed that when the car is fully warmed up, the PSI dips to about 4psi and after a long drive comes close to 0. The gauge functions completely normally outside of idle however. I'm getting the usual ~10psi for every 1000rpm.

I did have to use a brass adapter and its on there pretty tight. I used teflon tape on the adapter itself but the sensor plug had thread locker on it.

Anyone know why its reading at 0psi? Car is mechanically sound as far as I know. Idles beautifully, etc. I'm thinking it might just not be a very accurate gauge?

Last edited by Cubix; 08-23-2017 at 10:50 PM.
Cubix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 11:46 PM   #2
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubix View Post
Hey ya'll I recently installed a GlowShift oil pressure gauge into the stock dummy oil pressure switch location (under the oil filter). I've noticed that when the car is fully warmed up, the PSI dips to about 4psi and after a long drive comes close to 0. The gauge functions completely normally outside of idle however. I'm getting the usual ~10psi for every 1000rpm.

I did have to use a brass adapter and its on there pretty tight. I used teflon tape on the adapter itself but the sensor plug had thread locker on it.

Anyone know why its reading at 0psi? Car is mechanically sound as far as I know. Idles beautifully, etc. I'm thinking it might just not be a very accurate gauge?
That would be my guess.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 12:13 AM   #3
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,520 Times in 18,921 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Test against a different gauge. What pressure do you see on first cold start in the morning?
Old 08-24-2017, 12:34 AM   #4
Cubix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Test against a different gauge. What pressure do you see on first cold start in the morning?
Don't have another gauge to test unfortunately. However, I'm almost certain its not actually that low since the dummy light when it was still connected has never turned on, and IIRC the dummy light turns on around 2.5psi or so.

Cold start in current Toronto weather was around 105psi (Don't really remember from earlier today, but it was a bit over 100 which is to be expected).
Old 08-24-2017, 02:01 AM   #5
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,520 Times in 18,921 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Don't have another gauge to test unfortunately. However, I'm almost certain its not actually that low since the dummy light when it was still connected has never turned on, and IIRC the dummy light turns on around 2.5psi or so.

Cold start in current Toronto weather was around 105psi (Don't really remember from earlier today, but it was a bit over 100 which is to be expected).
Yeah, I'm with you. Probably nothing. Even a bicycle pump would do the trick to confirm; some hose and a couple clamps...
Old 08-24-2017, 02:29 AM   #6
Lunatic

Drives: 2015 Raven FRS
Thanked 1,056 Times in 488 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Toyota specs are 7 psi idle at 172 degrees oil temp.Of course the hotter the lower oil pressure will be. I used to show as low as 4 psi at idle at 220 degrees. I just raised my idle from 750 to 950 rpm and now my oil pressure never drops below 20.
Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunatic For This Useful Post:
Cubix (08-24-2017), flippy (05-14-2022)
Old 08-24-2017, 07:37 AM   #7
Cubix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatic View Post
Toyota specs are 7 psi idle at 172 degrees oil temp.Of course the hotter the lower oil pressure will be. I used to show as low as 4 psi at idle at 220 degrees. I just raised my idle from 750 to 950 rpm and now my oil pressure never drops below 20.

I found this chart. Last time I ran torque on my phone on a daily drive I exceeded 200F. Since its speced at ~7psi at 170F like you said it does sound normal for the pressure to be even lower. This seems kind of low for a car though doesn't it?

Also in this video I don't see his oil pressure dip below 10psi on a normal drive! But then again it might just be a colder area in the video

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDfFJ5s6IDg"]FRS - BRZ Oil Pressure and Temperature Tech FA20 - YouTube[/ame]
The Following User Says Thank You to Cubix For This Useful Post:
Bonburner (10-29-2020)
Old 08-24-2017, 09:15 AM   #8
JazzleSAURUS

Drives: 15 BRZ LTD, 05 FXT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
I avoid gauges made by Glowshift for this very reason. It may be accurate enough while you're driving around, but down low and up top they are useless, which is often where you need them to be accurate the most.

I also avoid Prosport for this reason, and the rate at which I've seen sensors fail. They have some nice features and price points, but I can't get down with their quality issues.

I like: Defi, STRi, AEM, Innovate, Stack...
SOLD: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited ('02 WRX BBS, S-04's, Stoptech Sport pads, MXP SP, AVO drop in filter, Mishimoto Intake tube, decatted header, OFT 93 Stage 2 EL Tune, Kartboy rear shifter bushing, Whiteline transmission and subframe lockout bushings, ST Coilovers, SPC Camber bolts w/smaller crash bolt, SPC LCA's & SPC Toe Arm bushings, Red TOMs, TRD Wing.)
JazzleSAURUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 10:27 AM   #9
Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzleSAURUS View Post
I avoid gauges made by Glowshift for this very reason. It may be accurate enough while you're driving around, but down low and up top they are useless, which is often where you need them to be accurate the most.

I also avoid Prosport for this reason, and the rate at which I've seen sensors fail. They have some nice features and price points, but I can't get down with their quality issues.

I like: Defi, STRi, AEM, Innovate, Stack...
I'm using an Autometer mech gauge.
Old 08-24-2017, 11:31 AM   #10
JazzleSAURUS

Quote:
I'm using an Autometer mech gauge.
Autometer stuff is generally good too.

I work on Japanese cars, and the occasional BMW or truck, so not many people ask about the Autometer stuff.
SOLD: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited ('02 WRX BBS, S-04's, Stoptech Sport pads, MXP SP, AVO drop in filter, Mishimoto Intake tube, decatted header, OFT 93 Stage 2 EL Tune, Kartboy rear shifter bushing, Whiteline transmission and subframe lockout bushings, ST Coilovers, SPC Camber bolts w/smaller crash bolt, SPC LCA's & SPC Toe Arm bushings, Red TOMs, TRD Wing.)
Old 08-24-2017, 02:42 PM   #11
Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzleSAURUS View Post
Autometer stuff is generally good too.

I work on Japanese cars, and the occasional BMW or truck, so not many people ask about the Autometer stuff.
I like gauges, something our car falls short on. So I made my own cluster, complete with cell phone holder.

Under it I also have the "Scan Gauge" with read off the ECU. All my other gauges are direct on their own sensors.

The nice thing about the scan gauge it is also a code reader and can be used to clear codes.
Attached Images

Old 08-24-2017, 06:44 PM   #12
Cubix

Just went out for a short drive to test it. At 176F idle it sits around 10psi which is basically to spec. I think my conclusion is the gauge only reads "0" after hot idle because its not the most accurate. I guess in the end its still better than a dummy light ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Maybe I'll get a T Fitting installed so I can run both.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cubix For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (08-24-2017)
Old 08-25-2017, 09:17 AM   #13
JazzleSAURUS

Quote:
I like gauges, something our car falls short on. So I made my own cluster, complete with cell phone holder.

Under it I also have the "Scan Gauge" with read off the ECU. All my other gauges are direct on their own sensors.

The nice thing about the scan gauge it is also a code reader and can be used to clear codes.
Interesting setup.

I like the inclusion of the scan gauge.

Is that a mechanical Bosch oil pressure gauge? I generally dislike those as you usually have to run a hot oil line into the cabin, and those lines can kink/wear through etc. Additionally, these cars with 0-20 run over 100psi cold, and even higher with heavier weights.

Is there an autometer electronic? I like the stepper motor ones too because they smooth the output enough to not be distracting, while still being quick enough to tell you what's happening.
Old 08-25-2017, 09:23 AM   #14
JazzleSAURUS

Quote:
Just went out for a short drive to test it. At 176F idle it sits around 10psi which is basically to spec. I think my conclusion is the gauge only reads "0" after hot idle because its not the most accurate. I guess in the end its still better than a dummy light ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Maybe I'll get a T Fitting installed so I can run both.
That's A solution but not THE solution, which is to get a higher quality gauge that can give you accurate results.