follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 10-10-2020, 08:35 AM   #29
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUSPECT_BRZ View Post
I'm just weighing the pros and cons of going forced induction and I'm just concerned that doing too much to the car might kill the "nature of the beast". When you upgrade a car to a certain point, I feel that sometimes you just miss the simplicity of the "almost stock" days.

Pros :

The car will accelerate much faster
Installing FI yourself can be good learning
It makes the car more unique and appealing to the general crowd

Cons :

It costs a lot of money to make it bulletproof
Whatever you do, it will cause stress to a certain point on the engine and will shorten its lifespan
A lot of things can go wrong and cause headaches
The twin will NEVER be a drag car, whatever you do to it, unless you reach the very high HP numbers which will require extensive engine work.

That's how I see it, I could be wrong. I would love to do FI to my car, but I'm just not convinced it's worth the smiles per gallon. It's a lot of money, especially in Canada.
Drive one. Even with the Sprintex/innovate 210 supercharger and around 240whp, the car feels complete. If reliability and enjoyment is your game, I highly recommend that supercharger.

Were I someone who didn't enjoy the break/plan/fix game so much, it'd be my choice hands down after having driven one. Stock everything, tuned by Shiv with the openflash tablet, 240whp was a perfect song and felt oem+
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 05:06 PM   #30
SUSPECT_BRZ

Drives: 2020 Subaru BRZ TS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
Drive one. Even with the Sprintex/innovate 210 supercharger and around 240whp, the car feels complete. If reliability and enjoyment is your game, I highly recommend that supercharger.

Were I someone who didn't enjoy the break/plan/fix game so much, it'd be my choice hands down after having driven one. Stock everything, tuned by Shiv with the openflash tablet, 240whp was a perfect song and felt oem+
Is the tune for that specific setup available on their website after the purchase of the OFT? This is interesting.
SUSPECT_BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 06:01 PM   #31
ugrin

Drives: 2020 Subaru BRZ tS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUSPECT_BRZ View Post
You do make a valid point with the supercharger, maybe I will end up changing my mind on staying N/A. I have looked into the Edelbrock and it seems like one of the best kit out there, one I could simply install myself and then flash with the included tune. This, of course, will be after the warranty is over, so I have time to save up that amount. It will likely be one of the last mods on the list. Hopefully the prices go down as years pass by.

Indeed, I should probably start with the header, and then go from there, instead of swapping everything at once. I wish there was more twins in my area so I could just sit in one and hear for myself. I guess I will attend some Ottawa meets next year.

I agree for the suspension. I think the TS is equipped with quality parts already and I don't feel like swapping it for some aftermarket that might not be as good. I don't know why people slam these vehicles or use ridiculous camber, that's not my thing, and it kills the purpose/essence of the car.

I looked into the IRP shifter as well and it seems pretty solid. I could start by swapping the spring and busings and go from there.

Thanks a lot for your time and input, much appreciated.
As far as I know 2020 tS comes with unequal headers, so one less thing to do. I talked to a guy that work on high performance cars and built a few Z’s and BRZ’s and said the same thing about the ULH and according to him even the stock exhaust is not that bad and really all you need to do is maybe cold air intake or at least air filter and tune up. That’s before you go to the rabbit hole of turbos etc. I enjoy a lot driving my tS although lacks power is still awesome little car that I use as daily commuter.
ugrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 07:51 PM   #32
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,305 Times in 7,369 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugrin View Post
As far as I know 2020 tS comes with unequal headers, so one less thing to do. I talked to a guy that work on high performance cars and built a few Z’s and BRZ’s and said the same thing about the ULH and according to him even the stock exhaust is not that bad and really all you need to do is maybe cold air intake or at least air filter and tune up. That’s before you go to the rabbit hole of turbos etc. I enjoy a lot driving my tS although lacks power is still awesome little car that I use as daily commuter.
The tS comes with the same factory exhaust manifold as every other BRZ which is equal length.
whataboutbob (01-07-2024)
Old 01-07-2024, 02:48 AM   #33
x808drifter
LMGTFY

Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,625 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugrin View Post
1. As far as I know 2020 tS comes with unequal headers, so one less thing to do. I talked to a guy that work on high performance cars and built a few Z’s and BRZ’s and said the same thing about the ULH and according to him even the stock exhaust is not that bad and really 2. all you need to do is maybe cold air intake or 3.at least air filter and tune up. That’s before you go to the rabbit hole of turbos etc. I enjoy a lot driving my tS although lacks power is still awesome little car that I use as daily commuter.
1. Nope. Same exact thing from the engine to the tailpipe.
2. It already has one. This isn't some Civic from the 90's.
3. High flow replacement filter for the stock box is the way to go. As for tuning Intake and exhaust don't really need one. But as soon as you do headers I would do one. Also would stick to catted. It isn't a track only car.
A tune can be made to have more power than stock but isn't usually worth it until you do the headers also.
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote