follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 07-10-2015, 04:40 PM   #1
CatDaddysBBQ

Drives: '13 FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Clutch Squeak

I recently had a clutch squeak/creak towards the bottom of the pedal travel. It didn't happen ALL of the time, but enough that I was slightly concerned.

The car is still under warranty, so I took it in assuming it would either be something minor like greasing the hinge on the pedal or something big like a throwout bearing, etc.

Well, they originally said it was the clutch master cylinder, and ordered the part. Upon further inspection it is a clutch fork that seems to be the culprit (says them). So now i'm rocking a damn Highlander loaner vehicle for a couple days.

I know how most of us feel about the dealer and their arguable competency, but if I would have waited another week, i'd be out of warranty and paying for all this myself. Clutch shouldn't have problems like this in so few miles, so i'm taking advantage of the warranty.

We'll see. Miss the car already but glad i'm not fronting the bill on this.
CatDaddysBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 05:00 PM   #2
Sigh-on-Rice
Waited 5 years for this

Drives: '18 MX-5 Club
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56882

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89914

You should consider yourself lucky that your dealer is good. I've been trying to get this fixed since April and my dealer is giving me such a hard time...
Sigh-on-Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sigh-on-Rice For This Useful Post:
CatDaddysBBQ (07-14-2015)
Old 07-13-2015, 02:48 AM   #3
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
It's a shame nobody "fixes" things anymore ...... they just throw parts at it till it works better ......

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Sigh-on-Rice (07-13-2015), Ultramaroon (07-15-2015)
Old 07-14-2015, 06:39 AM   #4
CatDaddysBBQ

Garage
So I got the car back yesterday, and just as I originally thought, it was the faulty throw out bearing. That was what most of this forum pointed to, but they walked the problem down, so I got a new master cylinder, shift fork, throw out bearing and a new friction plate. So basically a brand new clutch at 35,740 miles.

Clearly I'm glad it was free, but I'm sure a few items were replaced unnecessarily. That's what warranties are for. It had to be bad really early on to get to this point so soon. I do DRIVE the car, but clutch abuse isn't a factor in my driving.

I will say the old clutch setup had the classic high engagement, and the new one feels more "normal". Funny thing is that after 2+ years, I had gotten used to it!
Old 07-14-2015, 06:44 AM   #5
CatDaddysBBQ

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigh-on-Rice View Post
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56882

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89914

You should consider yourself lucky that your dealer is good. I've been trying to get this fixed since April and my dealer is giving me such a hard time...
I absolutely do. I'm 34, and have owned 7-8 cars (11 counting the wife's). Some were used and got little "dealer" service, but still, I'd say this particular dealership has been the absolute best experience I've had, without a doubt.

I'd say they have a customer for life, but since toyota has literally nothing else I'd consider buying (I love the FJ for a SUV but those are dead now), I doubt I'd buy anything else unless that fabled Supra comes out in a few years!