follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 02-08-2014, 10:19 PM   #1
transition
Banned

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Post Simplest possible install for tablet

Let me preface this post by saying i'm not an audio expert. I need your guys input to figure out the most minimalistic way to install a Nexus 7 tablet. Researching the setup tonight but there are a couple things that still aren't clear.

I drew up a diagram outlining my understanding for a minimalist setup including 2 questions I need clarification on:
  • Why can't I just use the factory amp instead of an aftermarket unit?
  • Is there any reason I NEED a seperate head unit?

transition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:28 PM   #2
westendRIOT

Drives:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Simplest possible install for tablet

FR-S? BRZ? Premium? Limited?

Bluetooth audio would be simpler than all that adapter stuff. Or aux 1/8" jack if you're a stickler for audio quality.

As far as mounting, get an arkon arm mount, bolt it onto the passenger side of the front console. Done and done.

Nice diagram btw. What'd you use?
westendRIOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:34 PM   #3
transition
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by westendRIOT View Post
FR-S? BRZ? Premium? Limited?

Bluetooth audio would be simpler than all that adapter stuff. Or aux 1/8" jack if you're a stickler for audio quality.

As far as mounting, get an arkon arm mount, bolt it onto the passenger side of the front console. Done and done.

Nice diagram btw. What'd you use?
2013 BRZ Premium

And i'm going to use it for HPDE's - i'll be using it as a track timer. Needs to be a permanent OEM style installation. Must be clean.

Diagram was made in Illustrator, thanks!
Old 02-09-2014, 01:21 PM   #4
transition
Banned

Anyone?
Old 02-10-2014, 10:57 AM   #5
Prog

Drives: 2016 Cadillac CTS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
If you use the factory amp, it'll only power the door speakers, so your dash speakers/tweeters and rear speakers won't be doing anything.
Prog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:27 PM   #6
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Drives: Limited Red 6MT BRZ
Thanked 1,167 Times in 644 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I found the cost of head unit (and its benefits) vs an amplifier was just a much better buy. I spent around hundred bucks on my install for the head unit and it works great.

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Sojhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 03:07 AM   #7
westendRIOT

Drives:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prog View Post
If you use the factory amp, it'll only power the door speakers, so your dash speakers/tweeters and rear speakers won't be doing anything.

Which part of the setup would cause the weird speaker behavior? I have a 2013 limited w the nav HU, has wired aux and BTaudio, both seem to carry signal from my nexus 7 and iphone 5s just fine. Am I blissfully ignorant of crappy audio or is the premium HU that different?
Old 02-11-2014, 09:44 AM   #8
Prog

Quote:
Which part of the setup would cause the weird speaker behavior? I have a 2013 limited w the nav HU, has wired aux and BTaudio, both seem to carry signal from my nexus 7 and iphone 5s just fine. Am I blissfully ignorant of crappy audio or is the premium HU that different?
It's not weird speaker behavior - that's how it's designed. The factory amp powers the door speakers, and the head unit powers the rest of the speakers. If you remove the head unit and somehow go straight to the amp, you're only going to get sound out of your door speakers. You have to power the other speakers somehow (a head unit or an amp).
Old 02-11-2014, 12:04 PM   #9
westendRIOT

Drives:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prog View Post
It's not weird speaker behavior - that's how it's designed. The factory amp powers the door speakers, and the head unit powers the rest of the speakers. If you remove the head unit and somehow go straight to the amp, you're only going to get sound out of your door speakers. You have to power the other speakers somehow (a head unit or an amp).
Ah, so it's the "remove the head unit and somehow go straight to the amp" part of the setup that would cause the weird speaker behavior.

Didn't realize the goal was to swap the Nexus 7 into the dash hole. How would you control speaker volume if you remove the HU and went straight to an amp? Exposed knob from the DAC?

Wouldn't the USB cable bulge from the tablet get in the way of a flush mounting? I'm all ears if this can be done. I'd much rather use Waze than the crappy nav that came with the car. I've been using an Arkon arm mount for two months now and it's pretty rock solid as far as holding the tablet, although the long arm can magnify road vibration making the tablet hard to read on bumpy streets.

I've seen a mount that secures onto the passenger dash trim piece right next to the HU. Not sure if it was strong magnets or glue, but it angled the tablet toward the driver and looked about as secure as any other stock piece on the car. Might have been proclip?

Last edited by westendRIOT; 02-11-2014 at 12:17 PM.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:43 PM   #10
Prog

Quote:
Ah, so it's the "remove the head unit and somehow go straight to the amp" part of the setup that would cause the weird speaker behavior.

Didn't realize the goal was to swap the Nexus 7 into the dash hole. How would you control speaker volume if you remove the HU and went straight to an amp? Exposed knob from the DAC?

Wouldn't the USB cable bulge from the tablet get in the way of a flush mounting? I'm all ears if this can be done. I'd much rather use Waze than the crappy nav that came with the car. I've been using an Arkon arm mount for two months now and it's pretty rock solid as far as holding the tablet, although the long arm can magnify road vibration making the tablet hard to read on bumpy streets.

I've seen a mount that secures onto the passenger dash trim piece right next to the HU. Not sure if it was strong magnets or glue, but it angled the tablet toward the driver and looked about as secure as any other stock piece on the car. Might have been proclip?
Looks like that's what OP wants. I know it can be done, as I've seen installs, but honestly, using a head unit seems way easier and isn't really that expensive. Plus you get a few extra goodies from using a head unit, like Bluetooth calling. And you still have a head unit in your car if you need it (never know when you might need to tune into an FM/AM station during an emergency).