follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 03-08-2023, 04:56 PM   #1
andee

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS (NA)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Forced Induction!!!

hey guys do after doing my teenager things on my car and probably almost grenading it with a pop tune, i went back to normal e85 and it feels great, i loved the power so much that I have decided I want to turbocharge it (yes thats what i decided after almost blowing it up). now i know it sounds dumb but i think i can do it safely, what do you guys think. i can give what parts i am looking to buy if you want to critique it
andee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 05:20 PM   #2
Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger, 2011 Evora
Thanked 1,475 Times in 771 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Yes turbocharging can be done safely. Don’t post what parts you are going to buy you will not like the answers. Here is what you will need. Quality kit or design. Small quality turbo. And most important at Quality tune. If you do not have $8 to $10k you will not meet the 3 requirements.
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 05:45 PM   #3
andee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady View Post
Yes turbocharging can be done safely. Don’t post what parts you are going to buy you will not like the answers. Here is what you will need. Quality kit or design. Small quality turbo. And most important at Quality tune. If you do not have $8 to $10k you will not meet the 3 requirements.
exactly what i wanted to hear, thank you very much
Old 03-08-2023, 05:50 PM   #4
andee

Quote:
quick question though, is a 3076R gonna be too big? I have the money to go all out with this and I want more power in the future with forged internals and drivetrain parts yk
Old 03-08-2023, 06:50 PM   #5
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by andee View Post
quick question though, is a 3076R gonna be too big? I have the money to go all out with this and I want more power in the future with forged internals and drivetrain parts yk
3076 is perfect for anywhere between 300-450whp comfortably. You're not going to have instant response at 2500 rpm, but trust me- that's something to be thankful for. Having a larger turbo also means less backpressure in the housing and less boost necessary to reach your power goals. This means more efficiency and less heat.
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
Joveen (03-09-2023)
Old 03-08-2023, 07:16 PM   #6
Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger, 2011 Evora
Thanked 1,475 Times in 771 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Depends on what you want. A built engine for trying to get the highest horsepower for bragging rights it is a good fit. For a stock engine that you want it to be drivable with a fast spool, no.
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 08:59 AM   #7
andee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
3076 is perfect for anywhere between 300-450whp comfortably. You're not going to have instant response at 2500 rpm, but trust me- that's something to be thankful for. Having a larger turbo also means less backpressure in the housing and less boost necessary to reach your power goals. This means more efficiency and less heat.
okay, so im learning more and more currently. If 7psi is the basemap that FBM gives me, since Im getting a bigger turbo, that 7psi will technically give my car more power in the higher rpms when it can spool?
Old 03-09-2023, 09:00 AM   #8
andee

Quote:
Depends on what you want. A built engine for trying to get the highest horsepower for bragging rights it is a good fit. For a stock engine that you want it to be drivable with a fast spool, no.
okay thank you so much for explaining this, i was so lost I didnt really understand the size difference.
Old 03-09-2023, 09:24 AM   #9
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Quote:
okay, so im learning more and more currently. If 7psi is the basemap that FBM gives me, since Im getting a bigger turbo, that 7psi will technically give my car more power in the higher rpms when it can spool?

Not technically, it will. With a stock engine, it will spool plenty fast as well. Smaller turbos are like a light switch- if you want something that comes on as soon you put your foot down, the 2860, 2867, or 2871 will be instant. You will need to wait a moment for a 3076, but it's easier on your engine. Mind you, he's on 100 octant here and running more boost, but the first gear hit is where you can see the real difference. The rest is in tuning. The 3076r can be taken much farther than he's pushing it, the 2867 could probably reach 400whp and be tapped out up top (not the way you want to run the turbo, you need to play in its highest efficiency range if possible)

Here are same car examples (2867 has Ptuning's revised kit, shouldn't be much different)-

Old 03-09-2023, 07:52 PM   #10
andee

Quote:
Not technically, it will. With a stock engine, it will spool plenty fast as well. Smaller turbos are like a light switch- if you want something that comes on as soon you put your foot down, the 2860, 2867, or 2871 will be instant. You will need to wait a moment for a 3076, but it's easier on your engine. Mind you, he's on 100 octant here and running more boost, but the first gear hit is where you can see the real difference. The rest is in tuning. The 3076r can be taken much farther than he's pushing it, the 2867 could probably reach 400whp and be tapped out up top (not the way you want to run the turbo, you need to play in its highest efficiency range if possible)

Here are same car examples (2867 has Ptuning's revised kit, shouldn't be much different)-

oooo okay Im seeing what youre talking about. So I know Im gonna want to build my engine more real soon after I get the turbokit, Im planning on having an e85 kit and a tune with ecutek to maximize power, then gonna try forged internals and potentially drivetrain stuff and see where I can go there. Do you think that the 3076r would be better for my case? or do you still think a smaller one would be more beneficial for where I stand currently?
Old 03-09-2023, 07:58 PM   #11
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Quote:
oooo okay Im seeing what youre talking about. So I know Im gonna want to build my engine more real soon after I get the turbokit, Im planning on having an e85 kit and a tune with ecutek to maximize power, then gonna try forged internals and potentially drivetrain stuff and see where I can go there. Do you think that the 3076r would be better for my case? or do you still think a smaller one would be more beneficial for where I stand currently?
I think the gtx3076r is the best choice in both cases. At low boost, its not going to be generating as much heat as a smaller sized turbo for the same power. It was have a power ceiling much higher for a built engine car.

The gtx3076r is not a "big laggy turbo", it's a long way from it- it's just not a light switch like OEM sized turbos. Be careful thinking that you want over 450whp in the car for long though. It's a very deep rabbit hole that this platform isn't well suited for.
Old 03-09-2023, 08:06 PM   #12
andee

Quote:
I think the gtx3076r is the best choice in both cases. At low boost, its not going to be generating as much heat as a smaller sized turbo for the same power. It was have a power ceiling much higher for a built engine car.

The gtx3076r is not a "big laggy turbo", it's a long way from it- it's just not a light switch like OEM sized turbos. Be careful thinking that you want over 450whp in the car for long though. It's a very deep rabbit hole that this platform isn't well suited for.
oh yeah probably not that high, but thats exactly how I was thinking about it all too, more potential. and yeah everyone kept saying how laggy it was since its so much bigger but i was doubting it