follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 01-10-2023, 09:48 AM   #1
MotoX16

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Rich AFR at cruising/idle

Alright gents, I need a little help brainstorming. Ever since this last snowstorm my car has been running rich, I will explain below.

What:
To start, I am using an aem wideband and running E70 (winter blend). My cars afr has always fluctuated a bit while cruising (hwy speeds, constant throttle), usually stays around 14.5-7 but occasionally would dip down to 13.9 for a second and maybe up to 15.1. Idle was always good around 14.7. Now when I cruise I'm seeing pretty consistent 13.0-13.5 with occasional dips down to 12.7-9 and still occasionally back up to 14.5-8. Idle I see 13.0-13.5 with occasional spikes up to normal range. I haven't got on it since this has been happening but light throttle accelerating is still mid 13's.

When:
This all started happening after the big snowstorm we got last week. I only drive the car twice a week as I work from home but am required two days in the office. So last week we got absolutely dumped on, somewhere in the 12-16 inches of snow. I wasn't watching the weather closely enough and by the time I was heading home it was brutal out. I have good snow tires on the car but it was damn near white out blizzard conditions and the deep snow was pulling me all over on the road. I put the car in track mode as the traction control was coming on too much and was able to make it 90% of the way home. Once I got to my neighborhood road it hadn't seen traffic and I was essentially plowing my way through. I'm not sure if it was because of the traction control but there were a few instances when I was spinning in this deep snow that felt like wheel hop. It felt almost exactly like wheel hop when you're spinning the front wheels in fwd, the whole car was shuttering pretty good. I clutched in and pretty quickly came to a stop trying to stop it from hopping, and that's where I got stuck. Lol I opened my door and it literally pushed snow out of the way to open, so snow was higher than my door level. A neighbor was able to help me shovel it out and after a few hours and a few more times of getting stuck in my neighborhood I made it home.

Diagnosis:
I gave everything a once over and didn't notice anything right off the bat. The two first things I'm going to try are 1. Pulling the negative terminal and resetting the computer. Thinking maybe it logged some knock events while hopping and the computer is remembering/compensating for those. Not sure if that even makes sense but its easy enough to try. And 2. boost leak test, I can pretty easily hook up my air compressor and see if anything popped loose

Help:
I'm not really sure what else to look at. Thinking maybe it is actually over fueling so maybe an injector or di seal, or maybe the di computer rattled loose. Just looking for some possibilities or things to look at. I have pretty limited time to look at it at home and when its freezing out and I don't have a heated garage I want to spend as little time out there as possible.

Any help is appreciated!
Thank you
FBM Turbo Kit: GTX3076R - HRI FlexFuel Tune - 3" Turboback Exhaust - ID1000cc Injectors - Walbro 485 Fuel Pump - FBM Oil Pan - FBM Oil Cooler - Killer B Oil Pickup - FBM Catch Can - FBM Radiator w/Fan Shroud - Clutch Masters FX400 - Verus Clutch Fork/Pivot - IRP Shifter - Cusco Engine/Trans Mounts - RCE Yellow Springs - PS4S 245/40/17
MotoX16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 11:38 AM   #2
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,323 Times in 7,381 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Need to see a datalog for anyone to attempt to help.
MotoX16 (01-10-2023)
Old 01-10-2023, 11:42 AM   #3
MotoX16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
I plan on grabbing one after work tonight and will post it here. Thanks!
FBM Turbo Kit: GTX3076R - HRI FlexFuel Tune - 3" Turboback Exhaust - ID1000cc Injectors - Walbro 485 Fuel Pump - FBM Oil Pan - FBM Oil Cooler - Killer B Oil Pickup - FBM Catch Can - FBM Radiator w/Fan Shroud - Clutch Masters FX400 - Verus Clutch Fork/Pivot - IRP Shifter - Cusco Engine/Trans Mounts - RCE Yellow Springs - PS4S 245/40/17
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MotoX16 For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (01-10-2023), x808drifter (01-11-2023)
Old 01-10-2023, 02:29 PM   #4
MotoX16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
Ok I went home for lunch and grabbed my laptop. I did remove the negative terminal for a bit and things seems to have gotten better. I am no longer seeing it consistently around 13.0, I do see it jumping around 14-15 like I used to. Provided some logs below for review anyway. I think my fuel trims look alright so its kind of weird to me to see my afr bounce around so much.

Thanks for any input!

Idle: https://datazap.me/u/motox16/110-idle?log=0&data=30

Cruise: https://datazap.me/u/motox16/110-cruise?log=0&data=30