follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86

User Tag List

Old 10-24-2022, 01:04 PM   #1
emblem84

Drives: Current: 2019 Audi TT-RS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Going from a '19 Audi TTRS to a '22 GR86...what should I know?

As the title suggests, I'm looking at trading in my 2019 Audi TTRS for a 2022 (or '23) GR86 Premium. Prior to the current Audi, I had a 2018 Porsche Cayman S, and prior to that, had a 2013 Audi TTRS.

I'm looking to "downsize" and fully expect that I will be giving up some of the comforts, technology, and power of the Audi, but am hoping to maintain the "fun" factor. Of course, mod'ing the car is absolutely NOT out of the question, either.

So, with that said, what should I know about the GR86 platform, drivetrain, etc. before pulling the trigger on one?
emblem84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 01:26 PM   #2
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by emblem84 View Post
As the title suggests, I'm looking at trading in my 2019 Audi TTRS for a 2022 (or '23) GR86 Premium. Prior to the current Audi, I had a 2018 Porsche Cayman S, and prior to that, had a 2013 Audi TTRS.

I'm looking to "downsize" and fully expect that I will be giving up some of the comforts, technology, and power of the Audi, but am hoping to maintain the "fun" factor. Of course, mod'ing the car is absolutely NOT out of the question, either.

So, with that said, what should I know about the GR86 platform, drivetrain, etc. before pulling the trigger on one?
You pretty much nailed the "must" know stuff on your own in your opening statements.
It is NOT an Audi nor a Porsche and as long as you totally get that then you will be fine with it.
It is simply an inexpensive (comparatively of course) basic sportscar that although well equipped is still not at Audi levels.
No amount of mods will bring it to Audi levels. Unless of course you end up spending so much you may as well have bought and Audi in the first place.
Old 10-24-2022, 02:11 PM   #3
Spektyr

Drives: GR86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
You pretty much nailed the "must" know stuff on your own in your opening statements.
It is NOT an Audi nor a Porsche and as long as you totally get that then you will be fine with it.
It is simply an inexpensive (comparatively of course) basic sportscar that although well equipped is still not at Audi levels.
No amount of mods will bring it to Audi levels. Unless of course you end up spending so much you may as well have bought and Audi in the first place.
This covers it pretty well. All I would add is that paring away the stuff Porsche or Audi adds to their cars can create a "purer" experience.

I'm not saying that it does, since that's a very subjective thing that varies from person to person, and different people like cars to behave different ways. But on one end of the spectrum you have these gorgeous cars built with far less regard to final sticker price, and on the other end of the spectrum you have an open-wheel adult-size go-kart that has zero creature comforts and an absolute riot to drive. The GR86 is somewhere about a third of the way from the go-kart.

And if you do modify it enough that it's basically every bit as good as the Audi in every way that matters to you... sure, it'll probably cost as much as the Audi. But to me there's a big difference between a just-off-the-showroom Audi and a custom-built for-you-by-you GR86 (or similar car).

Purely my opinion: the Audis and Porsches of the world are 100% cars. The GR86 is a go-kart with enough body panels and airbags to let you register it with the DMV. It's nice enough to daily drive, but when you push it you feel more like you're driving something that shouldn't be on the street. To me, that's just more fun.
Spektyr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spektyr For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (10-24-2022), Ultramaroon (10-25-2022)
Old 10-24-2022, 02:39 PM   #4
emblem84

Quote:
Appreciate the insight. I fully understand that it's not an Audi nor a Porsche, but I'm also looking to move away from the price tag associated with those cars, and fully appreciate that in doing so I'll be giving up some of the "conveniences" of my previous vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spektyr View Post
This covers it pretty well. All I would add is that paring away the stuff Porsche or Audi adds to their cars can create a "purer" experience.

I'm not saying that it does, since that's a very subjective thing that varies from person to person, and different people like cars to behave different ways. But on one end of the spectrum you have these gorgeous cars built with far less regard to final sticker price, and on the other end of the spectrum you have an open-wheel adult-size go-kart that has zero creature comforts and an absolute riot to drive. The GR86 is somewhere about a third of the way from the go-kart.

And if you do modify it enough that it's basically every bit as good as the Audi in every way that matters to you... sure, it'll probably cost as much as the Audi. But to me there's a big difference between a just-off-the-showroom Audi and a custom-built for-you-by-you GR86 (or similar car).

Purely my opinion: the Audis and Porsches of the world are 100% cars. The GR86 is a go-kart with enough body panels and airbags to let you register it with the DMV. It's nice enough to daily drive, but when you push it you feel more like you're driving something that shouldn't be on the street. To me, that's just more fun.
Very well said. While my Audi and my previous Porsche were fun cars, they offer such a disconnected driving experience (the Audi more-so than the Porsche). I have yet to test drive an 86/BRZ, but am hoping to do so within the next week or so. In "downsizing", as I mentioned, I'm really looking forward to a more pure driving experience, as I really don't need all the bells and whistles the Audi has.
The Following User Says Thank You to emblem84 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (10-24-2022)
Old 10-24-2022, 04:13 PM   #5
alex87f
Meow

Drives: GT86, Volvo 996
You'll be getting a lot of car for the money, mpg's will not be a worry (I can't remember getting under 30), and it is a lot of fun.

However, the build quality and amenities will probably be lacking compared to your reference points, and so will the engine note. I like the sound of my flat four, but it ain't got nothing on a modern flat six or an RS five-pot.

Also, as road trip machines go, it'll be a tad noisy and rough. I went wild camping in Norway with mine and had loads of fun, but when cruising at 80mph it's not the most comfortable thing out there.

Still, it's the only car I've been able to own for over two years (five and counting).
alex87f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 05:57 PM   #6
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,804 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:

If the Audi was more disconnected then why did you go back to the TTRS after owning a Cayman? Did you just prefer the AWD, rear seats, sound of the five cylinder, etc? I'm just interested what motivated you then and what changed, and I'm curious of your personal review of the two cars.

I'm assuming you plan on driving the GR86 before you buy it. That will probably let you know instantly. The Audi is a dual clutch, and I don't know if you had an auto Cayman, and I don't know if you plan to get a manual or auto, but if it is an auto, you may find going from a dual clutch to a torque converter to be a big downgrade. The gearing will be better in the 86 over a manual Porsche, as you may have heard. Make sure to take the car over bad roads, so you can assess whether the ride quality and interior noise is tolerable compared to your Audi and Porsche. The increase in rattles and creaks from cheaper materials and build quality is worse, yet probably won't be a deal breaker, but the road compliance and lack of sound deadening might be more of an issue.

I don't know if you modify cars, but that could be a factor. Yes, the car has less horsepower, but it also has less potential. While you can get more power with forced induction, there are limitations. With pump gas, sub-300whp is possible, but you will need E85 for more, and the engine and transmission is somewhat reliable sub-375-400whp, probably. The previous generation is sub-350whp for the engine and sub-400whp for the transmission, so expect a little more for both with this new engine. The advantage over the Porsche is there are far more aftermarket support and FI options. The disadvantage over the Audi is the motor is the FA24 is not designed for boost, so the high compression, again, requires E85 for any significant power gains.
Old 10-24-2022, 06:21 PM   #7
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
Go for a test drive. I have a 16 BRZ auto and a 14 cayman PDK. They are both a blast. I much prefer the sound of the 2.7l in the cayman, but the BRZ is more playful with normal driving. Of course the auto is nothing compared to the PDK, buts it’s still fun. If you get a manual even more fun. And of course the interior is not as nice. But even after a spirited run in the cayman I can jump in the BRZ and it still puts a smile on my face. Probably best smiles per dollar car.
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 06:27 PM   #8
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,654 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
You're less likely to need a flatbed
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lantanafrs2 For This Useful Post:
x808drifter (10-25-2022)
Old 10-25-2022, 10:17 AM   #9
emblem84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
If the Audi was more disconnected then why did you go back to the TTRS after owning a Cayman? Did you just prefer the AWD, rear seats, sound of the five cylinder, etc? I'm just interested what motivated you then and what changed, and I'm curious of your personal review of the two cars.

I'm assuming you plan on driving the GR86 before you buy it. That will probably let you know instantly. The Audi is a dual clutch, and I don't know if you had an auto Cayman, and I don't know if you plan to get a manual or auto, but if it is an auto, you may find going from a dual clutch to a torque converter to be a big downgrade. The gearing will be better in the 86 over a manual Porsche, as you may have heard. Make sure to take the car over bad roads, so you can assess whether the ride quality and interior noise is tolerable compared to your Audi and Porsche. The increase in rattles and creaks from cheaper materials and build quality is worse, yet probably won't be a deal breaker, but the road compliance and lack of sound deadening might be more of an issue.

I don't know if you modify cars, but that could be a factor. Yes, the car has less horsepower, but it also has less potential. While you can get more power with forced induction, there are limitations. With pump gas, sub-300whp is possible, but you will need E85 for more, and the engine and transmission is somewhat reliable sub-375-400whp, probably. The previous generation is sub-350whp for the engine and sub-400whp for the transmission, so expect a little more for both with this new engine. The advantage over the Porsche is there are far more aftermarket support and FI options. The disadvantage over the Audi is the motor is the FA24 is not designed for boost, so the high compression, again, requires E85 for any significant power gains.
Going to try to answer all your questions. To preface, I would probably still have my '13 TTRS had it not been totaled by an idiot driver as that car has easily been my favorite of all the vehicles I've owned (which is quite a substantial list that I won't delve into). After my '13 TTRS (which was 6MT and I had it tuned, turbo-back exhaust, intake) was totaled, I didn't spend much time looking and immediately jumped into the '18 Cayman S (also 6MT, also modded it, had turbo-back exhaust and tune). Had the Porsche for ~10 months before deciding I missed having a semi-functional back seat (don't have any kids, but I do have small dogs), and I couldn't stand the gearing in the 6MT of the Porsche. The gearing alone made it almost impossible to have fun in the car during "normal" driving. So, having absolutely LOVED my '13 TTRS, I started looking for another one and knew they were coming back as a Mk3 for the 2018+ MY. Also discovered that they would ONLY be coming State-side with the 7-speed DSG (dual-clutch auto) but I was OK with that. So, long story short, found a brand new 2019 TTRS and pulled the trigger. I've had the '19 TTRS for about 2.5 years now and have modded it a little bit (E85 stage 1 tune, intake, downpipe), and the car is a monster on the street (almost TOO fast for spirited street driving, but I digress). However, I'm getting a little bit older and don't really need/want the attention nor price tag that I have with my current Audi, hence looking into 'downsizing' and getting a back-to-basics sports car. Also, I work from home and have for years (long before COVID hit), so none of my previous Audi's/Porsche, nor will the GR86 I am eyeballing be daily drivers. To add some context, my '19 TTRS was purchased with 107 miles on it, and 2.5 years later, it just crossed over 8500 miles. I simply don't drive that much to be honest. Also, with the GR86, I would be going back to a 6MT, which I'm very much looking forward to. Hopefully that provides some insight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest72 View Post
Go for a test drive. I have a 16 BRZ auto and a 14 cayman PDK. They are both a blast. I much prefer the sound of the 2.7l in the cayman, but the BRZ is more playful with normal driving. Of course the auto is nothing compared to the PDK, buts it’s still fun. If you get a manual even more fun. And of course the interior is not as nice. But even after a spirited run in the cayman I can jump in the BRZ and it still puts a smile on my face. Probably best smiles per dollar car.
Absolutely planning on a test drive ASAP! Appreciate the insight/comparison between your BRZ and Cayman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantanafrs2 View Post
You're less likely to need a flatbed
Oh god, your post made me laugh. The struggles I've gone through when needing a tow with the Audi's still stresses me out.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to emblem84 For This Useful Post:
bcj (10-25-2022), Irace86.2.0 (10-25-2022), sato (10-25-2022), Stonehorsw (10-27-2022)
Old 10-26-2022, 11:44 AM   #10
emblem84

Finally got word from my Toyota dealership that they have a 2023 Trueno Blue Premium 6MT coming in Friday! Will be going to test drive it on Monday and will let you know how everything turns out!
Old 10-26-2022, 12:38 PM   #11
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Finally got word from my Toyota dealership that they have a 2023 Trueno Blue Premium 6MT coming in Friday! Will be going to test drive it on Monday and will let you know how everything turns out!
Surprising that with the demand and backlog of orders they will let anybody test drive one!
Old 10-26-2022, 03:10 PM   #12
alphasaur
friendly

Drives: 17' 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
IMO the biggest downgrade will be power. I would describe the 86 as adequate.

I had a big turbo mazdaspeed 6 a few cars prior to this one making about ~380hp/~400+tq to the wheels and it was AWD. It was a very comfortable car with leather, heated seats, moon roof, keyless entry and start etc. With AWD, e85, engine mounts, and ~23lbs of boost from a 3071 coming on by ~3200 RPM the car felt violently quick in 1st and 2nd.

The 86 is still one of my favorite cars. IMO it also sounds quite good if you carefully select your exhaust set up.
Old 10-27-2022, 12:20 PM   #13
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,229 Times in 702 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
As long as you aren't a roll racer on the highway, I think you'll enjoy the twin.
Old 10-27-2022, 12:20 PM   #14
Spektyr

Drives: GR86
Quote:
Surprising that with the demand and backlog of orders they will let anybody test drive one!
Not that I would 100% recommend this, but you don't actually buy a car until you sign the paperwork.

Dealerships should let you show up to "buy the car" and then do a quick test drive before you sign. Assuming all goes well, you buy. But you're not on the hook until then, so if there's something that's a deal-breaker you can back out.

It's not like they're going to have trouble finding a buyer in the next few days...
Spektyr is offline   Reply With Quote