follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86

User Tag List

Old 08-28-2022, 07:43 PM   #1177
Lelandjt

Drives: '04 STi, '12 Mazda 3 Hatch
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by schwartzki View Post
My local dealer had 1 person in line but required a 5k deposit and 4k over MSRP

Supra was 9k over MSRP although they might be "open" to going a little less.
I've offered a deposit a couple times and been declined. We seem to have agreed on MSRP + options and normal fees. They just aren't getting any cars. I even told them that if they can get my spec but with an automatic I'd come test drive it and decide.
Lelandjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 08:11 PM   #1178
shoreline86

Drives: '22 BRZ 6MT MGM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Called 32 in-state dealers, and of them I am now on 6 MSRP-only wait lists, 1 with a $687 markup, and 3 with a $1300 - $3k markup (though the $3k markup dealer only applies it if you live over 100 miles from them so maybe I can negotiate it to MSRP). I don't intend on paying markup beyond the $687.

Another who's list I did not get on has a $2k markup with a $1k deposit and claims they can get a car in 2 months or less via a preference allocation as they're one of the biggest volume dealers in state (allegedly).

I chose to only be open to a 6MT premium in red, so we'll see. If I don't have any updates by the end of October, I'll open up to a pavement gray. If none by the end of November, I'll extend my search to a '23 Supra AT.
shoreline86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 08:26 PM   #1179
VoltsFRS2013

Drives: 2022' GR86 Premium 6MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoreline86 View Post
Called 32 in-state dealers, and of them I am now on 6 MSRP-only wait lists, 1 with a $687 markup, and 3 with a $1300 - $3k markup (though the $3k markup dealer only applies it if you live over 100 miles from them so maybe I can negotiate it to MSRP). I don't intend on paying markup beyond the $687.

Another who's list I did not get on has a $2k markup with a $1k deposit and claims they can get a car in 2 months or less via a preference allocation as they're one of the biggest volume dealers in state (allegedly).

I chose to only be open to a 6MT premium in red, so we'll see. If I don't have any updates by the end of October, I'll open up to a pavement gray. If none by the end of November, I'll extend my search to a '23 Supra AT.
no trueno?
VoltsFRS2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 08:47 AM   #1180
racingfool

Drives: Miata
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
my new Scott Spark Ultimate is great fun and looks awesome, as a $14k MTB should.
And I thought over $2000 35 years ago was a lot for my Yeti.

racingfool is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to racingfool For This Useful Post:
fredzy (08-29-2022)
Old 08-29-2022, 09:37 AM   #1181
fredzy
Mebmer

Drives: Sienna, GR86, FL5
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
$14k for an MTB, whew. @Lelandjt sometimes you gotta treat yourself to the finer things I suppose.

The new Spark is the business though. I almost replaced my 2012 Sprak 29 Pro with the new RC Comp last year but decided to spend 1/2 the amount to modernize/upgrade both my spark and my singlespeed instead and it paid dividends. Both are faster and more fun to ride than ever and I racked up more miles on the spark over the last year than I put on it the previous 9.

Unfortunately cycling didn't distract me from the GR86 wait/hunt as much as I hoped it would this year. Hopefully it's almost over..
fredzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 01:05 PM   #1182
suhhh

Drives: 2022 WRB Limited 6 Speed
Patiently waiting for my car.. there's a processing date for today (8/29) and I noticed the status flipped to F for freight.

Anyone have an idea of the wait times from here on out? I've seen quite a few posts where a dealer gave a timeframe of a week but the car showed up much much quicker.

The dealer is maybe 20 minutes from the port, are the processing dates usually pretty accurate? Can I expect to get it by tomorrow?
suhhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 03:19 PM   #1183
shoreline86

Drives: '22 BRZ 6MT MGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoltsFRS2013 View Post
no trueno?

Lmao, unfortunately I have no interest in any car colors outside of red/orange/dark gray.

Also, Marietta Toyota went ahead and confirmed with me today that there's like a $10k markup on premium trims. These dealers, man
shoreline86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shoreline86 For This Useful Post:
VoltsFRS2013 (08-29-2022)
Old 08-29-2022, 03:42 PM   #1184
VoltsFRS2013

Drives: 2022' GR86 Premium 6MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoreline86 View Post
Lmao, unfortunately I have no interest in any car colors outside of red/orange/dark gray.

Also, Marietta Toyota went ahead and confirmed with me today that there's like a $10k markup on premium trims. These dealers, man
What a scam man! That's terrible. Be patient and a deal will come.

Im over here in Virginia and dealers are wild. I waited 7-8 months for my local dealer 5 mins down the road to allocate my GR86 Premium in Trueno. I paid $33.5k OTD.

Literally the same car sitting at a dealer 45 mins away was low 40s OTD. For $30-34k there is nothing in the format that compares but when people start paying upper 30s and low 40s I think your money can go better elsewhere 110%
VoltsFRS2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VoltsFRS2013 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (08-30-2022)
Old 08-29-2022, 03:49 PM   #1185
Robertw

Drives: 1996 Turbo Miata
Deposit down Nov 21, Premium M/T Red. Dealership has not gotten any M/T Premiums. Only a few base M/T, and Premium A/T's.
Robertw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 04:41 PM   #1186
fredzy
Mebmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhhh View Post
Patiently waiting for my car.. there's a processing date for today (8/29) and I noticed the status flipped to F for freight.

Anyone have an idea of the wait times from here on out? I've seen quite a few posts where a dealer gave a timeframe of a week but the car showed up much much quicker.

The dealer is maybe 20 minutes from the port, are the processing dates usually pretty accurate? Can I expect to get it by tomorrow?
How are you checking your status?

I thought the whole API/Vspec page Fn+F12 thing was dead then a salesman from some random dealer sent me a link to a car that allowed me to do the API trick on it similar to before. So you need a salesman to send the link to be able to do it the old way - if they do what this guy did, it generates the necessary hash signature in the link to be able to access it as a guest off their network.

You probably don't have long but you never know with the trucks. It seems some people get lucky and the car pops right out of processing onto a truck, other times it sits and waits for weeks to get loaded up. Simply no telling. Things seem to have improved on that front a lot since spring/early summer, when between quality holds and labor shortage people spent a month+ in F sometimes
Old 08-29-2022, 10:02 PM   #1187
fredzy
Mebmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredzy View Post
You probably don't have long but you never know with the trucks. It seems some people get lucky and the car pops right out of processing onto a truck, other times it sits and waits for weeks to get loaded up. Simply no telling. Things seem to have improved on that front a lot since spring/early summer, when between quality holds and labor shortage people spent a month+ in F sometimes
Sorry, a little confusion here. It's not right around the corner until you're in G. Sometimes people go from F to delivery really quick (you may be one such case) but most of the country can spend a lot of time in F.

The order is

A from VIN creation until arrival and processing at initial US port
F from port processing > rail > regional "port" where final processing, port installed options etc happens
G once it's done processing at the regional "port" (this can be in Chicago, for example, if you're getting a car in Ohio) and on a truck to the dealer

Places like where you are, where the US receiving port also processes the car to go to the dealer I don't think has to worry about the rail step. So it might go from A to F to G all in a matter of days. The comment on truck variability still applies though.
The Following User Says Thank You to fredzy For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (08-30-2022)
Old 09-01-2022, 07:03 PM   #1188
schwartzki

Drives: '23 GR86 Prem MT, '18 BMW X5 35d
Sounds like I need to put some more deposits down if I am gonna get one anytime soon :-\ Need to sell my 986 Boxster S for the downpayment first.
schwartzki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 08:46 PM   #1189
Robertw

Drives: 1996 Turbo Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by schwartzki View Post
Sounds like I need to put some more deposits down if I am gonna get one anytime soon :-\ Need to sell my 986 Boxster S for the downpayment first.
I think this is the only way to have a shot at getting one in the next 6-12 months. I’ve been waiting with a deposit at a single dealership for almost a year, and it’s just not happening.
Robertw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 09:08 AM   #1190
fredzy
Mebmer

My recommendation to anyone who wants a car is to go look for it. Call around to dealers whether or not they show any cars on their website (the website is mostly useless.) Talk to sales and ask if they have anything in the pipeline that isn't reserved. Ask exactly when their next round of allocations will be locked in so you can call back then to check again. Knowing that date is important. Get an idea whether they have a waitlist if that didn't already come out of the convo.

Now the critical piece is to repeat this process on the lock-in date and have a salesman do a search for the spec you're looking for. If you get someone cool that will do this and you're lucky, you'll get a few dealer names. If these dealers didn't already have someone waiting for an allocation and they aren't an unreasonable marker-upper, you're done. I've run into a few guys that were quick to offer to look for me over the course of the past year. When I decided to do multiple deposits, I called them.

Waiting on a dealer for an allocation is a lottery with no guarantee of ever hitting. Even when you get lucky and have a salesman+sales manager that will actually work for you every 2 weeks to try and get an allocation (few dealers will swap an 86 allocation) you're still looking at a bleak situation.