follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 08-10-2018, 08:09 AM   #1303
SuperTom

Drives: C5 Corvette, '17 Toyota 86, Jeep XJ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Id wait until end of winter to decide. Tuners by then will have the 19's and will see how much more they can get out of the new setup. If its not much more than modding the 18's then I'm sure there will still be some on the lots at a discount
SuperTom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperTom For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (08-31-2018)
Old 08-28-2018, 10:51 AM   #1304
unhappymeal

Drives: 2018 Miata RF, 2017 Golf R
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I'm happy I didn't wait. I picked up a loaded RF GT (in Canada the Bilsteins are standard) for over $4,000 off MSRP and they included Pilot A/S 3+. I've been able to enjoy over a year of top down driving instead of waiting. I drove the ND2 at the Canadian launch event and while the engine is more rev happy and the higher red line is fun, but it's not much faster in practice. The telescoping steering wheel was a non-issue for me as the car fits like a glove as is.

The only thing I thought I would miss was the reverse camera. In reality, the car is so tiny that you can see everything behind you with the side view mirrors or popping your head around the flying buttresses.
unhappymeal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to unhappymeal For This Useful Post:
Vic4uf (09-02-2018)
Old 08-28-2018, 11:20 AM   #1305
dowroa
Old Guy

Drives: 16 STi, 22 MX-5 RF BBS, 04 OBS RPA
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I would think it would be usecase, still.

If you are just driving around? Maybe not a big deal.

If you are competing? The extra RPM room and overall speed is a big deal.

If you are tall, the telescoping steering wheel opens the car up to more buyers.

Sad to hear about the wind noise on the RF still.
dowroa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 10:49 AM   #1306
unhappymeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowroa View Post
I would think it would be usecase, still.

If you are just driving around? Maybe not a big deal.

If you are competing? The extra RPM room and overall speed is a big deal.

If you are tall, the telescoping steering wheel opens the car up to more buyers.

Sad to hear about the wind noise on the RF still.
The buttresses were always going to create more wind noise with the top down. Removing the rear wind deflector helps, but it is louder than the soft top. However, the top up experience is substantially less noisy (2 - 3 dB) than the soft top and it should be even better as the 2019 has new door seals.

For me, the added wind noise on the RF with the top down was worth the added security, bad weather protection and quieter highway cruising gained with the retractable hard top.

Edit #1: Tests have found the extra speed isn't really there. The 7,500 RPM redline is a software adjustment that only occurs at full throttle. Otherwise, you're capped at 7,200 RPMs. C&D has it only a tenth faster to 60 mph and virtually the same trap speed and time in the 1/4 mile as the ND1. You are correct in that the real track time gains are in being able to hold 2nd or 3rd longer and avoiding an up shift. I thought I was going to have huge buyer's remorse, but after driving the ND2 at the Canadian launch event, I was indifferent.

Edit #2: Have a look at the torque curve differences between the ND1 and ND2.

Last edited by unhappymeal; 08-29-2018 at 11:03 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to unhappymeal For This Useful Post:
daiheadjai (09-11-2018), Vic4uf (09-05-2018)
Old 08-29-2018, 11:07 AM   #1307
dowroa
Old Guy

Drives: 16 STi, 22 MX-5 RF BBS, 04 OBS RPA
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by unhappymeal View Post
Edit #1: Tests have found the extra speed isn't really there. The 7,500 RPM redline is a software adjustment that only occurs at full throttle. Otherwise, you're capped at 7,200 RPMs. C&D has it only a tenth faster to 60 mph and virtually the same trap speed and time in the 1/4 mile as the ND1. You are correct in that the real track time gains are in being able to hold 2nd or 3rd longer and avoiding an up shift. I thought I was going to have huge buyer's remorse, but after driving the ND2 at the Canadian launch event, I was indifferent.

Edit #2: Have a look at the torque curve differences between the ND1 and ND2.

@unhappymeal, thanks for the data!

Still, for autoX, those numbers are all in the right place for stock classing (where the car was already pretty overdogish).

I haven't looked into the current Fasttrack... but it is a good car getting better. I am glad to see that!

Now.. for the BRZ...
dowroa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 11:29 AM   #1308
unhappymeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowroa View Post
@unhappymeal, thanks for the data!

Still, for autoX, those numbers are all in the right place for stock classing (where the car was already pretty overdogish).

I haven't looked into the current Fasttrack... but it is a good car getting better. I am glad to see that!

Now.. for the BRZ...
Most of the benefit is in the feel. The engine feels happier to rev out and the power doesn't drop off as it hits the red line. I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little jealous. At the end of the day, I'm a realist and in grid locked Ontario there just aren't many opportunities or awesome back roads to redline the car.

It reminds me of my old K20 Civic Si. I had to actively look for opportunities to find enough space to run the car past the 6k VTEC switch over and up to the redline.
The Following User Says Thank You to unhappymeal For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (08-29-2018)
Old 09-09-2018, 05:42 PM   #1309
Scala

Drives: 2018 BRZ tS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
The SCCA decision as to where to class the 2019 ND will be interesting to follow for the BRZ drivers who can only hope that the new Miata is placed in the SB class and not in SC.

In the SC class a well driven 2018 ND can keep the BRZ Performance package car more than busy on some tracks, the 2019 Miata would be quite superior on most tracks.

Stay tuned and I may have a brand new 2018 tS for sale.
Scala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 12:32 PM   #1310
Kordless

Drives: '13 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I bought a 2019 ND2 after owning a 2013 Subaru BRZ for 2 years.

I liked the BRZ for a bit on the track, but for a street car it was very hard to drive in my opinion. The clutch is very weird, the shifter is eh, the low end torque just isnt there to get it moving anywhere in stop and go traffic without clunking or riding the clutch. I'm enjoying my ND2 a lot more so far and I've owned it for about a month now.

2013 Subaru BRZ - SOLD

Instagram - @uwuboiz
Kordless is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kordless For This Useful Post:
R_E_L (09-15-2018), unhappymeal (09-11-2018)
Old 09-11-2018, 01:19 PM   #1311
unhappymeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kordless View Post
I bought a 2019 ND2 after owning a 2013 Subaru BRZ for 2 years.

I liked the BRZ for a bit on the track, but for a street car it was very hard to drive in my opinion. The clutch is very weird, the shifter is eh, the low end torque just isnt there to get it moving anywhere in stop and go traffic without clunking or riding the clutch. I'm enjoying my ND2 a lot more so far and I've owned it for about a month now.
Congrats on the new ride. The FA20 is....not a great engine and the clutch is weird, but I 100% disagree about the shifter. It's not ND Miata smooth, but the throws are short and precise, if a little notchy. My main gripe with the BRZ drive train was that the FA20 is so coarse it caused my shift knob to vibrate around like crazy when in gear.
Old 09-11-2018, 02:38 PM   #1312
Kordless

Drives: '13 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by unhappymeal View Post
Congrats on the new ride. The FA20 is....not a great engine and the clutch is weird, but I 100% disagree about the shifter. It's not ND Miata smooth, but the throws are short and precise, if a little notchy. My main gripe with the BRZ drive train was that the FA20 is so coarse it caused my shift knob to vibrate around like crazy when in gear.
After many track days, it became apparent the synchros on the FRS/BRZ are very weak. Yes I liked the shifter prior to the degradation of the transmission. Every track day overheats the transmission fluid to scary levels. Any fluid did not help, it all ended up a very dirty grey color.

2013 Subaru BRZ - SOLD

Instagram - @uwuboiz
Kordless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 12:28 AM   #1313
R_E_L
He's got this.

Drives: 50th Anni BRZ
I really wanted one of these but in the end I wasn't comfortable with the idea of parking a soft top car in some of the neighborhoods I visit for work. I don't like the RF from the back or it's price so I went with the BRZ instead. Still happy with the purchase. I had been following these cars for so long it only felt right to finally take the plunge. Congrats on the new car @Kordless
Kordless (09-15-2018)
Old 03-28-2019, 06:43 PM   #1314
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Is the MX-5 rear hideous?

It is funny that in principal I should love the MX-5 for what is is, but even the RF version looks hideous from the back to me. Kinda like something from Spongebob.

I currently commute to a small town outside the city, and I have seen a grey MX-5 RF enroute and as much as I want to like the look, whenever I follow behind it I cannot get over the lack of visual appeal.

Today on the way in, I happened to see a Fiat Spider on the road and took notice as I rarely see them here. It has more of a rear bumper than the ND MX-5 and looks a lot more like a proper car to me plus there is the power bump on the hood and a bunch of other nostalgic styling cues to the original Spider design. The original Miata was a cool concept once people in 1990 got their head around a new car that tiny. I sold cars for a bit and actually sold a brand new 1990 blue Miata to Robert McCall who was an Olympic figure skater. Sadly, he passed a year or so later. Anyway, the NB and NC did nothing for me for whatever reason. But, it is cool that at least one company makes a small sports car for the mass market. SF-R *COUGH*

Everyone here seems to adore the Mazda, so I thought I'd start a discussion since the Fiat appears to receive much less adulation.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.

Last edited by wbradley; 03-28-2019 at 06:55 PM.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 06:44 PM   #1315
Gunman

Drives: 2019 Mazda Miata RF
Thanked 1,317 Times in 736 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Tail lights are too far inboard, that's my only complaint.
Gunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 06:50 PM   #1316
HKz
Reformed

Drives: '23 GRC, '11 Prius, '04 RAV4
Thanked 1,133 Times in 588 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I like the ND design through and through. In my eyes, all generations of the Miata are "cute" as opposed to aggressive which makes sense as they want a design that appeals both to men and women. Lots of chicks out there driving them.
HKz is offline   Reply With Quote