follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 04-19-2019, 02:34 PM   #15
maslin
Benz Tech

Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Unless they did a few smoky donuts in the back lot.

I'll be picking up a Rexing V1 before my car ever goes to the dealer. Hard wired so it can't "accidentally" be unplugged.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 02:53 PM   #16
Mrone

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
I believe that the bind between the TOB and quill can get bad enough to completely jam the TOB. The few photos of failed forks that I've seen all appear to have started with small stress fractures.
I just checked the fluid level and it is at the MAX line, fluid appears clear. Probably not it.

So next is the throw-out bearing, but there no clutch noise or squeaking; and would the TOB effect shifting to this degree?
Mrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 03:00 PM   #17
DandoX
Senior gif poster

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrone View Post
I just checked the fluid level and it is at the MAX line, fluid appears clear. Probably not it.

So next is the throw-out bearing, but there no clutch noise or squeaking; and would the TOB effect shifting to this degree?

In my experience this doesn't sound like the TOB but rather a clutch adjustment issue, however if your going to have someone get at the transmission might be worth it to consider getting a new clutch kit and TOB.

OP do you think you can get a video with sound to help us get a better idea of the notchy feel?
DandoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 03:39 PM   #18
maslin
Benz Tech

Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Two components of the throw out bearing. The bearing itself, the top of the circle that spins on the pressure plate. That is what usually wears and gives the rough grinding noise when the clutch is applied.

The whole TOB assembly rides along the quill, the tube that covers the transmission input shaft. No bearing or anything there, just a very loose metal to metal slide. Enough dust and gunk in there and the assembly will bind on the quill.

Could also be a bent or breaking clutch fork, the TOB would be unable to press far enough to fully disengage the clutch. Or a seriously worn pivot?

There's a lot of options to figure out blind. Sadly, a lot of possible issues are going to be in the bellhousing. Might want to take a quick look around under the hood, inside if you have a borescope/endoscope laying around.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to maslin For This Useful Post:
humfrz (04-19-2019), jcw99 (05-07-2019), Ultramaroon (04-19-2019)
Old 04-19-2019, 03:40 PM   #19
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,469 Times in 18,894 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:

It might be the TOB but the stock clutch adjustment is way high. It would take an awful lot of slop to lose enough throw for the clutch to drag.

Can you tell when the transmission is spinning in neutral and when it's not? I can clearly tell when mine stops, especially in the morning.
Old 04-19-2019, 04:11 PM   #20
Mrone

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandoX View Post
In my experience this doesn't sound like the TOB but rather a clutch adjustment issue, however if your going to have someone get at the transmission might be worth it to consider getting a new clutch kit and TOB.

OP do you think you can get a video with sound to help us get a better idea of the notchy feel?

Video of

@Ultramaroon I'm not sure about the feeling you're describing (or just something I haven't paid attention to). Could you clarify?
The Following User Says Thank You to Mrone For This Useful Post:
DandoX (04-19-2019)
Old 04-19-2019, 04:27 PM   #21
DandoX
Senior gif poster

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Video of

@Ultramaroon I'm not sure about the feeling you're describing (or just something I haven't paid attention to). Could you clarify?

To my ear it really sounds like the clutch isn't fully engaging. If it was the tob you would hear a sound when the car is on and you depress the clutch, like a subtle squeal sounds and it would go away and come back as the temp changes.

I hope you get this sorted, worst is you probably need a new clutch kit. Hopefully all it needs is to be re adjusted though.
DandoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 05:11 PM   #22
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Could you clarify?
Some transmissions make more noise than others. People also have different levels of sensitivity to sounds. I'm trying to feel out the best simple way to help you identify when/if your clutch is fully disengaged. It can be tricky.

As I'm sure you know, it takes very little torque to spin the front side of a transmission while it's in neutral. The way a syncro works for engagement, not only must the two mating sides be at rest (not spinning) relative to each other, there must also be no torque, or at least very little.

It takes very little torque to lock a transmission out of gear. Even if you manage to force the input side to quit spinning by using the syncro as a brake against the dragging clutch, it still won't engage.

If none of this makes sense, or the picture is fuzzy, don't be embarrassed. Let me know. We can go back and clarify more. Otherwise, I'll proceed. There are a few different ways to get a feel for the existence, or absence of clutch drag.
Old 04-19-2019, 06:24 PM   #23
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

I see nothing odd in that video. Sounds/looks normal.
Old 04-19-2019, 06:27 PM   #24
Mrone

I looked up a post about clutch adjustment and just got finished doing it. I lowered the clutch pedal to match the brake, but the problem is still there; and the pedal itself feels a bit more squishy than before.

@Ultramaroon I would say the picture is fuzzy. I think I understand what you're describing, but I have not heard or felt anything like that before. Not consciously at least. I also have a loud-ish exhaust that may suppress any subtleties of the transmission. I will take her around the block to see if I can notice it.
Old 04-19-2019, 06:39 PM   #25
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
I looked up a post about clutch adjustment and just got finished doing it. I lowered the clutch pedal to match the brake, but the problem is still there; and the pedal itself feels a bit more squishy than before.
If the clutch isn't disengaging, lowering the pedal will only make the problem worse. Stop changing things until you know what is going on.

OTOH, if you can get it in gear after lowering the pedal, there was nothing wrong with the clutch in the first place.
Old 04-19-2019, 07:27 PM   #26
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,796 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Maybe there is something loose or binding in the shift linkage -

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 09:59 PM   #27
Mrone

*Update*

Took the car to the dealership -- long story but I wont get into it here -- and they were able to replicate the lockout the 1st and 4th gears. Apparently it was the synchros. They replaced the transmission under warranty.

The gearbox still feels bumpy though. The closest example would be if you slide a pen horizontally over (or between) keys on a keyboard. Feels like it's hitting something. The mechanic said "that's just how they are." I tested another BRZ gearbox and it did feel similar. But if that's the case then I don't know why mine felt so smooth before I took it to the dealership [side note: I found out they changed the transmission oil during their "warranty inspection"]. I suppose it's just something I have to get used to now. At least the lockout problems are gone.

I appreciate everyone's input and trying to help me solve the problem. You guys are awesome!

TL;DR: Snychros bad. Got new transmission; no more lockout. Bumpy gearbox is "normal", so I'll stop whining.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mrone For This Useful Post:
humfrz (05-07-2019), jcw99 (05-07-2019), kevaughan (02-23-2022), Ultramaroon (05-06-2019)

Tags
clutch, gearbox, notchy shift, rough shift, transmission