follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 09-19-2021, 06:41 AM   #1
Theodorable

Drives: 2015 Scion Frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Check engine light!

Hello, I've come across a problem. I got the codes P062D, P1235, and P0300. Recently I changed out my spark plugs due to the fact my car unexpectedly was underpowered and my exhaust did not sound as loud. Not only did it not sound as loud my car drove and felt different. So I changed out the sparkplugs not long after, I got a check engine light and I stopped the car and pulled over. I called my uncle to help and right when I started to move my car stalled. I have an automatic version, I know it's not impossible for automatics to stall but still, it was very surprising. The RPM idling was a lot lower than what it was before I changed the spark plugs. I honestly am so lost on what to do.
Theodorable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 10:39 AM   #2
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,672 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
p1235 is a fuel pump error, the other 2 are misfires.

what mileage is your car, what mods, and what plugs did you use?
Old 09-19-2021, 03:37 PM   #3
Theodorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
p1235 is a fuel pump error, the other 2 are misfires.

what mileage is your car, what mods, and what plugs did you use?
My car has 80K miles on it and the spark plugs I used the NGK racing competition and the only car mod I have on it is the MXP rs comps. I bought 2 fuel injectors because I believe I might've done something on the driver's side. And which fuel pump are you talking about? the Front HPFP or the actual gas fuel pump in the back?
Old 09-19-2021, 04:17 PM   #4
soundman98

um, racing plugs have a whole lot of prerequisites with them. did you read the description before buying?
Quote:
With an exceptional pedigree of proven race results, NGK Racing Spark Plugs are specially designed plugs for extreme conditions. Intended for racing use only, racing spark plugs are designed with extreme use in mind as some feature special ground electrode and center electrode designs to withstand grueling racing conditions. Racing plugs are available in colder heat ranges for high performance applications.

*NGK Heat Range 9

Pre-Gapped to: 0.028
they generally require other ignition system upgrades as well. did you gap them right or just throw them in?

more than likely, your first step is to re-do what you already did, and install oem replacement plugs that are gapped correctly.

https://86speed.com/oem-toyota-spark-plugs

that will get you back to the original problem. hopefully.

you're throwing parts at a problem that wasn't diagnosed beforehand. you more than likely have even more issues then you started with.

all i can tell you is what google says for the fuel pump code.
Quote:
https://www.engine-codes.com/p1235.html
P1235 code possible causes
Faulty Fuel Pump Drive Module (FPDM)
FPDM harness is open or shorted
FPDM circuit poor electrical connection
Faulty Powertrain Control Module (PCM)
you're more than likely
humfrz (09-20-2021), Ultramaroon (09-19-2021), YamahaR86 (09-20-2021)
Old 09-19-2021, 05:12 PM   #5
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,510 Times in 18,915 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Iridium-tipped electrodes must be handled with care. They must never be gapped. If a plug ever comes out of this engine needing anything but a nod of appreciation, something else needs attention.
Old 09-19-2021, 06:18 PM   #6
Theodorable

Quote:
um, racing plugs have a whole lot of prerequisites with them. did you read the description before buying?

they generally require other ignition system upgrades as well. did you gap them right or just throw them in?

more than likely, your first step is to re-do what you already did, and install oem replacement plugs that are gapped correctly.

you're throwing parts at a problem that wasn't diagnosed beforehand. you more than likely have even more issues then you started with.

you're more than likely
Thank you for your input and no I didn't really read the details I just called my local o'rilleys and they suggested it. and i will be buying oem spark plugs now. You have been really helpful and it's very much appreciated! thank you, Ill update soon.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Theodorable For This Useful Post:
humfrz (09-20-2021), sunami88 (09-25-2021), Turdinator (09-26-2021), Ultramaroon (09-20-2021)
Old 09-22-2021, 02:59 PM   #7
Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger, 2011 Evora
Thanked 1,475 Times in 771 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theodorable View Post
called my local o'rilleys and they suggested it.
I am old enough to remember when you could trust the person behind the parts counter, Not anymore!
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 09:04 PM   #8
soundman98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady View Post
I am old enough to remember when you could trust the person behind the parts counter, Not anymore!
i distinctly remember the time in highschool where the parts shops went from having knowledgeable counterpeople to just checking for a pulse.

i used to always go to the same place for parts. the 2 guys i knew there would have the vehicle pulled up, just asking for what i needed by the time i reached the counter. i didn't need to remember the trim, or the model year...

but then the day came where those guy's weren't there. as the new and obviously non-car-person started asking me for what trim, engine size, etc. i needed a headlight bulb for, i couldn't resist..

"oh yeah, almost forgot! i need to grab a water pump as well!"

"it's for a '72 vw beetle"...
Grady (09-24-2021), humfrz (09-24-2021)
Old 09-24-2021, 03:31 AM   #9
Theodorable

Quote:

you're more than likely
Welp new problem. But first I fixed the misfire etc the original problems of the car but now when I installed my new headlights I was trying to figure out how to wire the turn signals, I bought the morimotos and so everything was workin until my uncle tried to connect this wire into another wire for the turn signal. Right after then, my DRLs stopped working but the projectors were fine and when I was done trying to fix it was decided it was time to go home. but when I went to start my car it wouldn't crank nothing in the engine. I could turn the keys all the way. The car lights outside worked and the inter lights worked everything worked but the car did not want to start. It didn't even make any sputter sounds or anything. just nothing. I charged the battery and not only that didn't work and so we tried to jump start but that didn't do anything as well. I am tried of this car problem shit man literally once I fix a problem another comes up I don't understand.
Old 09-24-2021, 08:11 AM   #10
PetrolioBenzina

Drives: 17 86
Thanked 1,133 Times in 647 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Mods always have risks.
PetrolioBenzina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PetrolioBenzina For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (09-24-2021)
Old 09-24-2021, 08:31 AM   #11
Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger, 2011 Evora
Thanked 1,475 Times in 771 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
everything was workin until my uncle tried to connect this wire into another wire for the turn signal.
Do you know what wire? Did you have the Wire Manual? If you were just randomly hooking up wires hoping for things to work then A) you blew a fuse, so just go through all of them and check. B) you smoked a component.
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Grady For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (09-24-2021)
Old 09-24-2021, 02:17 PM   #12
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
i distinctly remember the time in highschool where the parts shops went from having knowledgeable counterpeople to just checking for a pulse.

i used to always go to the same place for parts. the 2 guys i knew there would have the vehicle pulled up, just asking for what i needed by the time i reached the counter. i didn't need to remember the trim, or the model year...

but then the day came where those guy's weren't there. as the new and obviously non-car-person started asking me for what trim, engine size, etc. i needed a headlight bulb for, i couldn't resist..

"oh yeah, almost forgot! i need to grab a water pump as well!"

"it's for a '72 vw beetle"...
Well, at least you didn't ask him for a left handed monkey wrench -
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (09-24-2021)
Old 09-24-2021, 02:22 PM   #13
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Welp new problem. But first I fixed the misfire etc the original problems of the car but now when I installed my new headlights I was trying to figure out how to wire the turn signals, I bought the morimotos and so everything was workin until my uncle tried to connect this wire into another wire for the turn signal. Right after then, my DRLs stopped working but the projectors were fine and when I was done trying to fix it was decided it was time to go home. but when I went to start my car it wouldn't crank nothing in the engine. I could turn the keys all the way. The car lights outside worked and the inter lights worked everything worked but the car did not want to start. It didn't even make any sputter sounds or anything. just nothing. I charged the battery and not only that didn't work and so we tried to jump start but that didn't do anything as well. I am tried of this car problem shit man literally once I fix a problem another comes up I don't understand.
Well, then, jest quit ah messen wich the car -

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Grady (09-24-2021), soundman98 (09-24-2021)
Old 09-24-2021, 10:22 PM   #14
soundman98

almost sounds like fuses did their job